Rogers Tequila recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BurningFalls
Novice

Re: Rogers Tequila recipe

Post by BurningFalls »

StillNoIdea wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:23 am Cool thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the best way to heat my fermenter currently. I have quite a few different vessels. I have a 65L Speidel fermenter for doing sizable washes. I have a couple of heating pads and a brew belt. I see you mentioned an aquarium heater. Is that right in the wash?

How did yours turn out? I dropped 1.5 gal of blue agave into 5.5ish gal or distilled. SG of 1.068. Used k1-v1116,1 tbsp DAP, and a .5 tsp of FermK. It's a real slow start, only dropped to 1.064 after 36 hours and I've got it at 80 degrees.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

I've recently discovered an online source that sells 6kg bottles of agave syrup for £45. Kinda tempted.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

DSmith78 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:37 am I've recently discovered an online source that sells 6kg bottles of agave syrup for £45. Kinda tempted.
Why not give it a go? I got 2 packs of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8 ... UTF8&psc=1 (4 total) for just over $38 usd. So it ended up being 11.5 lbs or .20 per oz.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

StillNoIdea wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 pm This thread is pretty old. Anyone have any success with the all agave wash? Picked up some organic from Costco. Just over 6 kilo. I'm gonna give it a go. The stuff is pretty reasonable there. $8.99 for a 2 kilo pack.

20191223_185117_compress23_resize_2.jpg
I'm on the back-end of 1.5 distilling technique on 10+ gallons of this stuff (hoping to extract more of that Agave flavor).
I used 72 fluid oz of Costco agave + 6 lbs of sugar per 5 gal fermenter for SG 1.070 & it finished up at 0.990 (but took 5 weeks to get there!).

So my question is this: what has been everyone's best wood aging agent? I bought some agave wood chips to experiment with, but also have light, medium, & heavy toasted oak chips.

Thoughts, suggestions?
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

rubberduck71 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:54 pm I'm on the back-end of 1.5 distilling technique on 10+ gallons of this stuff (hoping to extract more of that Agave flavor).
I used 72 fluid oz of Costco agave + 6 lbs of sugar per 5 gal fermenter for SG 1.070 & it finished up at 0.990 (but took 5 weeks to get there!).

So my question is this: what has been everyone's best wood aging agent? I bought some agave wood chips to experiment with, but also have light, medium, & heavy toasted oak chips.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Wow, 5 weeks? You’re a stronger man than me! I’m sure it just means it’ll taste that much better after that long wait! :thumbup:

Mine was off to a slow start due to a crash in my ph. Added some oyster shells and it seems to level things a bit and it’s doing much better now.

I bought some of those tequila barrel chips too. Was planning on adding a mix of those, French oak, and some charred white oak to go for some reposado, and if it makes it that long, anejo. I also bought some terpenes, which I added to the fermenter. Not sure if that will help with the authentic agave flavors, but figured it might help. It has a great sweet and earthy taste. Real pungent and concentrated stuff! Thick, like an agave molasses.

What style are you going for? It’ll help drive which woods to choose.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Yeah, it was a long, slow, painful fermentation. Even with oyster shells added early on, it still took a while. Maybe because the Agave sugars are more complex? I didn't invert either...

As for the "style I'm going for?" Not sure - just want something quality for the $10-$15 of ingredients invested (but aren't we all???). Something yummy on the rocks or as a mixer... I'm more a whiskey guy these days, but a very good friend of mine is a tequila fan, so just looking for a good showing on the taste buds. Hence my asking for wood chip aging suggestions!!!
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:52 am Yeah, it was a long, slow, painful fermentation. Even with oyster shells added early on, it still took a while. Maybe because the Agave sugars are more complex? I didn't invert either...

As for the "style I'm going for?" Not sure - just want something quality for the $10-$15 of ingredients invested (but aren't we all???). Something yummy on the rocks or as a mixer... I'm more a whiskey guy these days, but a very good friend of mine is a tequila fan, so just looking for a good showing on the taste buds. Hence my asking for wood chip aging suggestions!!!
Makes sense, well since you're on the whiskey spectrum like me, it sounds like you may want to shoot for more of an añejo or extra añejo. For me, I was thinking a mix of french, med oak, and tequila chips. Here's a quick write up that may help with your wood and time: https://www.tequilasource.com/typesoftequila.htm
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

If you're of a certain age (& humor level) enjoy:

Thanks for helping me with my wood selection, BurningFalls!

image.png
image.png (104.75 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
Attachments
image.png
image.png (110.03 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

👆Haha Classic!
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

Quick update for those who are interested, I finally ran my stripping run last week, and it came out really nice. Definitely has some nice agave notes and flavors to it. Really noticed most at the end of heads and early tails. Added another tbsp of terpenes for it to help meld with while I find time for the spirit run. So far, I'm really happy with how it's coming along!
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

Results from the spirit run were fantastic! Super happy with how this turned out and definitely recommend it! Split it into 2 batches, one for a reposado and one for anejo. Have the reposado on charred american oak and tequila chips and the anejo on french oak and tequila chips. Will definitely be doing this again soon!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

BF, how long you aging on chips for each set?
BurningFalls
Novice

Post by BurningFalls »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:18 am BF, how long you aging on chips for each set?
So I would say it changed colors fairly quickly. I should have expected as much, but it still got away from me juuuust a bit for a reposado. Probably had something to do with them being french oak chips, they're pretty dark out of the bag. Anyway, I still really like where it is, and it definitely looks darker in the pic, especially since it's a dark room and this is a pretty deep and thick jar, but this is what I'm calling an Añejo. It was on a mix of chips for about a week. I have another 2.5 liters, which is continuing to sit on chips. Hoping for a deeper rich burgundy color like in an extra añejo, similar to Cava de Oro (https://www.oldtowntequila.com/cava-de- ... ila-750ml/). Once ready, I'll pour a glass to show the actual color.
IMG_5547.jpg
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Hey BF, how's your tequila turning out?

I just ran a batch (3x6 gal buckets stripped & then spirit) through my "new" rig this past weekend. 72 oz. Costco agave syrup + 8 lbs inverted sugar in each. Ended up with 3.5L hearts @ 80% + 3.0L feints.

Kept 1L as white dog for future comparison and proofed down the other 2L to almost 3L @ 55%. Med. Plus toasted cubes + some agave barrel chips. I've seen the "whiskquila" phrase used to describe this stuff...

It's still super-young, but just HAD to do a taste test on some ice. Has a smokey taste with a hint of salt, just like my previous batch through the Airstill. And check out the color. Need to get some French oak to experiment with that!!!

Duck

image.png
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Just hosted poker night & two of the guys I play with whom I consider psuedo-whiskey "snobs" (which is too strong a word - they just appreciate good sipping bourbons & tequilas) really like my stuff.

I was very happy (& flattered...).

Duck
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Recently ordered a 25kg cube of raw dark nectar (it said raw on the order form, but doesnt say raw on the packaging....). It was expensive, but i convinced my girlfriend to pitch in on the cost :thumbup:

Mixed 5kg nectar into 25l water, giving a SG of 1.062, added in a pugirum style nutrient mix of boiled yeast,dap, vit b and epsom salts, pitched 40g of bakers yeast and set the temp to 32c. Threw a few oyster shells in too.

We'll see how it goes.
Metalking00
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Metalking00 »

Both fermenters finished at .992 after 4 days. The oyster shells seem to have done their job, the ph stayed constant at about 4.4. Pretty happy with how the ferments went. Running the stripping runs now.
Hillbilly66
Novice

Post by Hillbilly66 »

Has anyone used dextrose in place of sugar to see how it turns out and that's along with the agave nectar