My best Absinthe so far...

All about absinthe

Moderator: Site Moderator

Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

Im really reallyllllylylylyhappy about the way this batch came out. and I think I am satisfied with it completely.

500 grams wormwood
600 grams green anise
400 grams fenell
100 grams corriander
50 grams angelica
500 grams star anise
10 litres of 85% ethanol

All of the herbs ground to their finest and are put in my 5 gallon still and macerated at 120 degrees farenheit for 24 hours.

a 1oz sample is drawn from the macerate and water is added. if it does not turn milky white the batch is macerated longer.

after maceration is complete the batch is cut with 3 litres of tails from all of the previous batches and then distilled and 2 litres water. I then I collect 10 litres of distillate, and continue to collect tails until I get about 3 litres which is added to the next batch.

The distillate is ready to be colored. for coloring I take one litre of distillate and add:

10 grams artemesia pontica
10 cardomon pods
10 grams hyssop
10 grams melissa

they are all added to 1 litre mason jar and heated in a pan of water to about 150 for about 5 minutes and taken out and cooled slowly. the herbs are then strained and added to the distillate. The reason why I only color one litre is because if you color all 10 you will get grally foggy absinthe that looks like crap. this way you get very clear beautiful absinthe. I then bottle it and store it upright.

I hope you guys find this helpful. ;]
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

No comments, questions, or advise? :(
FAROM
Novice

Sambuca?

Post by FAROM »

have you used anise of star exaggeratedly too much, and' a sambuca or absinthe :D :lol: ? Ciao :wink: .

p.s.
120 Farenheit: temperature of tall maceration too much
birdwatcher
Swill Maker

Post by birdwatcher »

I copied and printed your recipe Nigel.

Thanks,

G
My sugar wash for ethanol is under the Tried and true recipes forum.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

Im going to post louche pics in a bit.

Getting the flavor of absinthe is difficult, but getting to get the balance of louche, color, and taste all in one is such a different story.

If that recipe wasn't clear enough ask more questions.

OH YEAH!!!

This is great.

I follow the same process. the fun thing was I didn't see the video until I finished the batch.

http://www.heureverte.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

The louche from this recipe looks exactly like his. :D
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

As promised:

The shot.... 1oz of my absinthe...

Poured into a wine glass...

The start of the louche.

The louche is coming along quite nicely with a nice two tone effect showing the qualitee' of the the absinthe through the differentiation of colours.

Image Still needs to be stirred.

Stirred.

Sorry about the quality of the photos. My macro is not functioning properly for some reason.... But the colors are there. Hope you guys like...

From the photos Ive seen, It sure looks like a better quality absinthe. It looks quite like most pre ban photos ive seen. But please correct me of you dissagree...
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

It looks like a Jade louche, but not a pre ban. The pre ban absinthes tend to be amber in colour due to the degradation of chlorophyll. Unless you meant photos from c. 1900, in which case I can't see how you would judge the colour.

Very nice, although as FAROM says, way too much star anise - it looks a bit thick to me. Make sure you put it away for ageing. Remember the colour will fade a bit.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

My recources are kinda lame and I need to use that much star to compensate for the lack of quality of the green anise. When I use only green anise I get a really weak louche, and star is my last resort. But the taste is there and the louche is there, so Im quite happy.

Im going to head to france soon and im going to buy and ship as many different bottles as possible. They will all be distilled and swiss or french.

Im wondering of the combier distillerie could give me a tour... we'll see...
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

Send a message to the contact address at http://www.vintageabsinthe.com onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

wow great link! I love it. Im watchng some stuff on there right now. :)
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

I want to try making absinthe and some cointreau as soon as my still's finished, how much star anise should be used instead and how much did all of the herbs cost in the end because I'm not sure if its worth it yet as much as I like absinthe.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

If your green anise sucks like mike, add more star anise. I say the same amount because that what works best for me.
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

The best absinthes do not contain huge amounts of star anise like that (or at all) as it would completely overwhelm the flavour of the other ingredients. Look at the PDF files at http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe/books4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and look in the recipes. The word 'badiane' is French for star anise. The highest proportion of star anise I have seen there is half the amount of star anise as green anise.
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

with the Pontarlier Absinthe recipe, what is the difference between grand and petite wormwood?
Miraculix
Novice

Post by Miraculix »

AFAIK:
Grand = Artemisia Absinthium = normal wormwood (mainly for soaking)
Petit = Artemisia Pontica = roman wormwood (mainly for coloring)

/Miraculix
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

The quantity of the star anise really doesn't hurt the flavor of the product at all. Also....

wikipedia says in this article, vaguely that they are the same flavor. and that star anise and green anise contain the same chemical. which is anethole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anethole" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This is why I personally think that its really not that bad to use star anise. especially if you dont have access to high quality fresh green anise like me. everything that I can find is slightly dried out. not very moist. I have even tried using twice as much green anise, and the louche was not nearly as good as this batch.

the thing that I did different on this batch is I left this one on the stove from 5:00pm to 11:00am the next day. at about 120 degrees. That may have alot to do with it. but at the moment I am very satisfied with this recipe.

My christmas present to my self is going to be the Jade PF 1901 and I will defnatley be trying to replicate that on my own.
FAROM
Novice

Post by FAROM »

[quote="Nigel"]The quantity of the star anise really doesn't hurt the flavor of the product at all. Also.................. everything that I can find is slightly dried out. not very moist. I have even tried using twice as much green anise, and the louche was not nearly as good as this batch. ........../quote]

Hi, the anise of star in the absinthe and' used in least part, not the more' of the 10_15% of the used green anise. The taste of the anise of star makes to pinch the tongue (Slightly to numb the tongue ) and seems to feel only the taste of the pure alcohol. More' late me lighthouse' the photos of my absinthe without anise of star and you can see the beautiful louche, excuse me for my bad English hi

Ciao, l'anice di stella nell'assenzio e' usato in minima parte, non il piu' del 10_15% dell'anice verde utilizzato. Il sapore dell'anice di stella fa' pizzicare, intirizzire la lingua e sembra di sentire il solo sapore dell'alcol puro. Piu' tardi io faro' le fotografie del mio assenzio senza anice di stella e potrai vedere il bellissimo louche , ciao
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

I kinda notice that pinch a slight bit now that you mention it. It will not bother me until I taste a better absinthe. so far I have not.

That should soon change when I get my PF 1901

tooooooo much fun. too much fun. I love this stuff.
FAROM
Novice

Post by FAROM »

Ok :wink: .
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

Hello Nigel - forget the really thick louche. Try one with no star anise and see if you can taste the complexity of all the other ingredients. From what you say you seem to have access to a lot of higher quality ingredients, from Cascade Herbs or elsewhere, and so it would be a waste to overwhelm them all the time with copious quantities of star anise. Give it a go, you probably won't regret it. Otherwise you might as well make pastis really.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

I already have made many batches with out star anise. and they taste unnoticably similar. I even did a side my side test, and the star really isn't hurting it.
Bastardo
Novice

Post by Bastardo »

Ok that looks like a pretty great drink. I was wondering where would someone get those ingrediants, like wormwood, star anise etc?
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

try your local health food store or an herb nursery.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

I have a good question. What can I use BESIDES FOOD COLORING to obtain a slight blue-ish tint to my absinthe distillate.

Im thinking some sort of flower, but what flower would add flavor, and a slight blue to it. that would be so awesome.

Im starting to want a variety of different absinthes for my heure verte. which is before I head off to my shitty day job. haha just kidding.
muckanic
Swill Maker

Post by muckanic »

="Nigel". Im thinking some sort of flower, but what flower would add flavor, and a slight blue to it. that would be so awesome.
Hydrangeas? Dunno what they taste like, however. Otherwise, roses seem to come in every colour under the sun, and taste OK.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

I was also thinking that too, but I dont think rose and licourice pair well.
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

What about sage flowers? I'm not sure of their flavours though.
Nigel
Novice

Post by Nigel »

Im working on another batch of absinthe right now, and I have learned that a very warm maceration is the absolute best way to go. I have been macerating for about 10 hours at about 140 degrees with 85% alcohol now and when I scoop up a bit of the macerate and add cold water, it becomes SUPER DUPER PERFECT LOUCHE ALREADY. I was super impressed for only that long. Before I have left the herbs for three days in room temperature with the same proof alcohol and the shit barely louched. I was pissed.

Cliffs notes:

I Distill your alcohol to the highest proof possible.

(a) Basically take cheap vodka, and make it high proof ethanol by
distilling it.

II Macerate at the temperature to where its trying to give distillate -20
degrees
(a) I highly reccomend that the still is babysat.
FAROM
Novice

Post by FAROM »

Nigel wrote:Im working on another batch of absinthe right now, and I have learned that a very warm maceration is the absolute best way to go. I have been macerating for about 10 hours at about 140 degrees with 85% alcohol ..................................... II Macerate at the temperature to where its trying to give distillate -20 degrees
(a) I highly reccomend that the still is babysat.

140 degrees temperature of too elevated maceration, ciao
Marionette
Novice

Post by Marionette »

Yes, that is approaching the boiling point of ethanol.