Panela/Piloncillo RUM

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Panela/Piloncillo RUM

Post by Jimbo »

This box held 56 lbs, its one of Sugardaddys production boxes for his product. Probably a convenient way to order it from him. I forgot what shipping cost was but I remember it was very reasonable. Made 38 gallons of rum wash at 1.066, About 8% potential.
IMG_20160110_24261.jpg
IMG_20160110_50984.jpg
IMG_20160110_27166.jpg
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Was prolly no more than 15-16 bux,,,,,,or less.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

(*Envy*)
I want more!
But I still have some jars left, and I just got 5 gallons of blackstrap.
SD's panela is sooo good. I used it straight up, with molasses, and with sugar, all batches turned out great.
I need to go back and compare them now, with some age on them, to see what the differences are in flavors now.
This is a great thread for a really easy delicious spirit!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Man I have a bunch that I need to mix up and ferment.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I'm not a big rum fan but cannot that looks tasty.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Jimbo wrote:Finally got on another batch of this today. Bought more panela from SD probably a year ago, just been too damn busy.

56 lbs of Sugardaddys Panela
36 gallons water
2 Tbsp gypsum
2 Tbsp Fermax
1 Tbsp Epsom Salt
1 lb bakers yeast

small space heater pointed at the barrel on low to keep the ferment temp around 80
Fastest ferment I ever had, With the recipe above, from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday evening it went from 1.066 to 0.997 (16 to 5.8 brix) with the ferment held at 85.5F. Its now at 8.93% ABV and smells great. Ill let it sit with the heat off until the weekend and start doing runs. Will take 3 runs on the 15.5g 2 plate rig to get through this.

Anyone every made Rumka? Im thinking of running one batch through the flute twice to see if it makes a respectable vodka..
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Jimbo wrote:
Anyone every made Rumka? Im thinking of running one batch through the flute twice to see if it makes a respectable vodka..
I just finished doing this on a batch of Pugirum. I ran everything that didn't make the sweetest part of the hearts through my 2" CCVM. It was definitely worth the time.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

I've also done it with a molasses and sugar rum. I think the molasses leaves a slight sweetness that you don't get from a grain vodka.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

OK just finished this batch in 3 runs. From 56 lbs panela and 2 qts of feints from 2013 I pulled 4.25 gallons at 82% and 2 qts feints.
Thats a shit ton of rum from 1 box of SD Panela (see below) :) Side by side this batch is cleaner tasting than the 2013 pot still batch.

I was experimenting with the flute some on these runs. I was running the 2 plate flute hot with lots of reflux. Full 5500W power, and defleg water turned up to compensate, with rolled up copper mesh in all 5 of the defleg vapor path tubes. Was pulling quarts at 10.5 min/qt and 82-84%. Very interesting the ABV is higher running this way (full tits on the power), due to the much higher reflux. Just another flute trick for the bag of tricks these things do. Fun shit this.

Thanks monkey and bayou, Ill give it a shot.
piratekev
Novice

Post by piratekev »

Just a question here. Can you tell me the per lb price. I saw an old price from years gone by and wondering if it has gone up, much.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Walmart morena sugar is about 63 cents a pound give it a try... you will be amazed how good it is

happy stillin

FS

or call sugar daddy and get a order shipped
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

piratekev wrote:Just a question here. Can you tell me the per lb price. I saw an old price from years gone by and wondering if it has gone up, much.
You'll have to reach out to Sugardaddy for current spot market price on the panela :P Super nice guy, Im sure he'd be happy to answer any questions.

FS, thanks for the tip. Ill check that out.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zulka-Morena- ... s/28892639" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

research shows its vacuum dried unprocessed sugar... all the goodies of sugar cane juice are there....
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I wonder why its so much lighter than Panela. Could be its vacumn dried so the sugars dont caramelize as much as the big pots they use in the Columbian hooches? Buts thats just an ass pull guess...
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

I have used this in my rum along with blackstrap.
I've also used it as house sugar, big push here to use more "natural" products closer to zero processing the better.
Better for rum too!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Jimbo wrote:I wonder why its so much lighter than Panela. Could be its vacumn dried so the sugars dont caramelize as much as the big pots they use in the Columbian hooches? Buts thats just an ass pull guess...
Reckon the heat can neutralize some of the nutes?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LWTCS wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I wonder why its so much lighter than Panela. Could be its vacumn dried so the sugars dont caramelize as much as the big pots they use in the Columbian hooches? Buts thats just an ass pull guess...
Reckon the heat can neutralize some of the nutes?
Imagine so, but never had an issue fermenting panela with bakers, as long as I kept the temp at 80 or better.
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Hi guys,
I'm fermenting a panela wash. My first one.
I used 10lb of panela for a 25L wash (6.6 galons)
The OG was 1.070 and the FG 0.960. That's about 14.7% ABV, so next time I will use less panela, maybe 8 or 9lb.
It Fermented in 3 days, 72 hours and it was so quite. It smells good, but I can feel a yeasty smell that I would like to reduce. Is not distilled yet but I will try it very soon.
I used 115 grams of yeast for a 25L wash.
Do you have an idea about the amount of yeast it is essential? I would like to reduce the amount of yeast too.
Reading the post I realized some of you recycle the yeast for the next wash. Do you add some fresh yeast to help or just using the old yeast could work?
I would appreciate very much your opinion
thanks a lot in advance
Sugar Daddy
Novice

Post by Sugar Daddy »

Please contact me or Smaug with questions about panela.
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Opss! I was wrong:
OG 1.070, FG 0.996, so potential ABV: 10%
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Can just reduce till you find the right amount for your taste.
There are no hard and fast rules.
There is merit to "over pitching " too. But yeasty spirit does remind of "homade".

I would pitch just enough to skin the liquid surface. Don't know how else to explain as I hardly measure anything anymore.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

By the way, the My Sweetness panela that is now available in the states is not in block form. It has been bagged in a ground form.

There is 38,000 pounds on my warehouse floor in 50lb bags. This is the preferred packaging for the pro distillers as it is the easiest way to put into fermentation with the least amount of labor.

The down side is that in this ground form I can only fit 20 lbs into a large USPS flat rate box.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LWTCS wrote:
There is 38,000 pounds on my warehouse floor in 50lb bags.
:shock: :shock: Wassup Larry, you a legit 'stillery now? Or a distributor for SugarDaddy? Or maybe just a VERY avid hobbyist? LOL
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Jimbo wrote:
LWTCS wrote:
:shock: :shock: Wassup Larry, you a legit 'stillery now? Or a distributor for SugarDaddy? Or maybe just a VERY avid hobbyist? LOL
Lol Jimbo, we are SugarDaddy ' s floor space here on the East coast. And also the large orders for the west coast will be coming out of California.
All small orders for My Sweetness should be directed to the SD website.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Can you provide a link to the SD website?
LWTCS wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
LWTCS wrote:
Lol Jimbo, we are SugarDaddy ' s floor space here on the East coast. And also the large orders for the west coast will be coming out of California.
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
Mashocist
Novice

Post by Mashocist »

I have my second round of the new sugardaddy panela (it's the loose stuff) bubbling away. First run has already been stripped down and waiting for this one to finish. I ran it with no nutes and the taste of the wash at the end of ferment was just awesome. Pulled some from this run it's down to about 1.02 and the first one finished at.9 so im waiting for that, it also tasted awesome. I think this is going to be some banging good rum by the smell of the low wines and next batch run on this dunder will be even better.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I never use nutes in this recipe. There's all manner of organic manner in this raw sugar cane pressings. Only tricky thing I found was keeping the temp at 80F to keep the bakers yeast happy. Easy to resolve with a small space heater a foot away on low.
Mashocist
Novice

Post by Mashocist »

Down here in Florida the temperature in my shed is just right!
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

nerdybrewer wrote:Can you provide a link to the SD website?
LWTCS wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
LWTCS wrote:
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/fermentables.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
sergiolis
Swill Maker

Post by sergiolis »

Hi everybody,
I run my first approach to panela rum.
I have to say it was so difficult to make the cuts. At least for my poor nose I think the panela has a strong smell that mask other flavours. I run the wort just once with a pot still. No stripping run.
About 47L supposedly at 10%ABV and I got:

400ml Foreshots at 4 drops per second
1800ml Heads at 17ml/min
3600ml Hearts at 25ml/min

The rest tails and I kept dunder to make another 2x25L washes
To be honest to make the cuts I used my intuition because my smell and taste didn't work very much. I collected 200ml jars until the reading was about 30%ABV. Then I collected a bit more in a feints jar.
I had about 35x 200ml jars in front of me and I didn't know where to start. Almost everything smelled good.
I'm very familiarized with vodka and gin but this was my first attempt with rum.
My main concern is if I could find a way to run this with more predictible cuts.
Do you think a previous sttripping run will make easier the spirit run regarding to cuts?
Or do you have any idea to run this for someone with a stupid nose?
Thank you very much for your great help
Btw this potion smells great!!!