Anyone ever tried jalapenos?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

shinejar
Novice

Anyone ever tried jalapenos?

Post by shinejar »

I did this a few years back and recently did it again and wow, what an extra kick to the finish.
On a 5 gal. batch of apple wine i dropped one whole jalapeno pepper into the fermentor. I let it stay in for three 1/2 weeks untill I racked it off and cooked it. The spirit has a sweet apple smell and taste, then in the finish there is a hint of the heat of the pepper. Kinda fools you, your not sure if the drink was strong or your just feeling the heat from the pepper. Don't get me wrong it is not too hot (for me anyways), just a hint of heat.
Just wondering if I'm the only one here who's tried this. If not, I would love to hear more ideas using this ingredient.
"Indulge in that alchemy in which hard cash is transformed into a soft liquid of such potency that even the insolvent becomes dissolved!" -P.D.Q. Bach
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

closest I've come is putting a habanero into a bottle of vodka. There was some garlic and cilantro too. Kept it in the freezer... take a shot and it would start burning deep in your gut and slowly creep back up to your mouth. It was seriously painful... that recipe was meant for very spicy bloody marys..
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

bloody bloody marys. I'm not one for the spicy foods but decided to try a bloody mary thinking they were just tomato juice and vodka... last time I have drink that I'm not sure of whats in it. Family have been trying to get me to make hot vodka for a while now by steeping chili, sounds like an interesting experiment. I didnt think that the spicy chemical, (I forget its name) carried over in distillation?
shinejar
Novice

Post by shinejar »

rangaz wrote: I didnt think that the spicy chemical, (I forget its name) carried over in distillation?
I think it's capsicum(sp?) I don't know what its' boiling point is... but it must 'cuase a mild heat comes over in distillation and oddly I've noticed it growing slightly with age. I have to search the boiling point of it though, ... I hope it is carried over or I've completly lost my sence of taste( or mind ) take your pick.
I'll post what I find out about it.
I bet habanero steeping would make a very spicey bloody buddy;)
"Indulge in that alchemy in which hard cash is transformed into a soft liquid of such potency that even the insolvent becomes dissolved!" -P.D.Q. Bach
shinejar
Novice

Post by shinejar »

Yep, capsicum! It's boiling temp 64C(147F) and is an oil. Well, that's according to a few google search on the subject. I like the jalapeno warmth of the apple brandy. I think it be a great addition to tequilla, wish I had an agave.
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

no, I think that is the melting point (search capsaicin on wikipedia). It's boiling point seems to somewhere between 200 and 220. probably a little would come over giving the warmth tho. I'm going to try steeping chilis and perhaps a bit of wasabi next time I run some high proof stuff, not redistill and cut to drinking strength to see how that comes out. Revenge shall be mine.

Here... take a shot of this :twisted:
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

Im shying away from the peppers last week a budie bet that i would take a shot of habenaro "dumbass hot sauce" :oops: If he would take 3 shots of hot damn 50%. well i did and spent the rest of the night praying for the puke gods to vist me. ( they never came) I think that is the fastest that i have ever sobered up.
when is never enough?
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

lol, drunk2much !!!! At least you did not get "dared" to eat one of the damn things. OMG they are hot. And it is not a hot that "creeps" up on you. It hits you FULL in the face (not just in the mouth), and then continues to get worse for a long time.

That was the stupidest thing I have done for $20. And like you, I sobered up, pretty damn fast!

H.
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

nothing summons the puke gods as fast as a double shot of gin or bourbon in my religion
hornedrhodent
Rumrunner

Post by hornedrhodent »

rangaz wrote:(search capsaicin on wikipedia).

Isn't that the stuff cops spray in your face when you're being naughty?
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I think that what cops use, is simply a ground Cayenne pepper "mix". There might be some additional capsaicin (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) added for some extra kick, but I dont think so. Cayenne is a pretty damn hot pepper (Tabasco is made from "special" fermented Cayenne type pepper).

It is possible that cops use capsaicin, but dam, I think that would be so potent, that it could probably backfire on the cop. Any residual mist in the air, will probably be enough to knock down about anyone close. If using ground liquid pepper, then yes, a little mist would burn if you inhaled it (from afar), but you could simply move a little, and be working at 100%.

H.
pintoshine
Distiller

Chili head

Post by pintoshine »

I am a chili head. I raise every kind.
I love the thia birdseye chilis, the kung poa ones too. I have been known to eat habaneros with a meal even. I kick up my hot wings with "Dave's Insanity"
Jalapenos are mild in my book and make a wonderful relish for pizza.

But let me tell you what, chilis and alcohol don't mix. There is nothing hotter than chewing on some nice hot chilis and then trying to cool them down with beer. It only makes it hotter!.

And chilis and high proof, what a disaster waiting to happen. The alcohol carries the chili oil everywhere. It gets on your hands, in your eyes and don't dare scratch your balls or rub your ... well you get the picture.
I am not for chilis in alcohol. Chilis in everything else but not in my alcohol. My wife won't allow me to touch her if I have had some squeezinz and some chili peppers.

I do make Habaneros or Scotch Bonnets jelly to eat with jerk ribs. It make a nice surprise to add a little of it to cocktail sausages too.
masonjar
Swill Maker

Post by masonjar »

Man, you're making me hungry, Pinto. I also love peppers and love to grow, pickle, dry, roast, and grind peppers. They are extremely prolific plants! I've heard that peppers are a good home remedy to treat depression because the body releases endorphines to help prevent all of the pain sensors on your tongue from freaking out. I don't know if that's really true or not though.

There was I time when I considered hot peppers to be masochistic, but over time you develop a tolerance to them. Several years ago, I thought I would die if I ate a jalapeno, but now I can have a habanero on my nachos and only break out into a light sweat ;-) It's strange. I must admit that it is a bit painful, but yet I crave it... Maybe I am masochistic. :-)

I do like peppers with beer though. Never tried with booze.

I also like to put a sprinkle of habanero powder on top of the coffee grounds in the coffee maker. It gives the coffee I nice little zing at the end. I discovered this by accident when I used the coffee grinder for peppers.

Milk, bread and cheese always worked really well for me to put out the fire. Water only helps for a second or two and the pain comes right back.
drunk2much
Bootlegger

Post by drunk2much »

But let me tell you what, chilis and alcohol don't mix. There is nothing hotter than chewing on some nice hot chilis and then trying to cool them down with beer. It only makes it hotter!.
I wish i would have remeber this in my drunken stueper
when is never enough?
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

i grow a few habenaroes an kianns but aint much on em mostly givem away . i got to tell folks to wear rubber gloves an dont rub your eyes.
some of that organic pest control is made from pepper an a sticker. i have seen deer eat the top out of bacca plant but you rub a pepper on a apple an they wont touch it
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

The best antidote for peppers is milk because capsaicin is fat soluble. Water will only make it worse. If an inmate is unruly, and pepper spray doesn't work, the security guards at prisons are trained to hose them down with cold water.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

Any emulsified oil will work. Milk, mayo, heck even veg oil and water put into a blender (with a drop of dish detergent) would work fine (and if the heat hurts bad enough, someone might be willing to try it :) )

But yes, the good "rule", is that milk swished in the mouth will help remove that burn.

H.
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Sh**, Im a wus. A qt. of milk, a quarter stick of butter, and I couldn't tell if it was my pee, my tears, or my sweat pouring into the toilet. I envy you guys, that can handle peppers, as I love the taste., but sh-- fire that hurts. Twice!
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

peanut butter boys... thats the trick. I'm a diehard chilihead. If you OD then grab a spoonful of creamy Jif... If you OD on habanero then forget it, nothing is gonna help.

Beer won't help the burn at all, but it does make the experience a lot funnier.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

junkyard dawg wrote:peanut butter boys... thats the trick. I'm a diehard chilihead. If you OD then grab a spoonful of creamy Jif... If you OD on habanero then forget it, nothing is gonna help.

Beer won't help the burn at all, but it does make the experience a lot funnier.
I think our group think has come up with a fine set of ideas. If you OD on habinaro (or other killer peppers) first, drink 2-3 beers quick, then about 3-4 shots of aged UJSM. Then eat some PBJ's with a glass of milk, to cure the heat.

The drinks were for nothing more than make the experience funny :)

H.
stoker
Distiller

Post by stoker »

the compound that characterises pepper can dissolve in alcohol too...
so rinse your mouth with a strong wodka or whiskey :)
-I have too much blood in my alcohol system-
shinejar
Novice

Post by shinejar »

By some of the responses, I'm gathering most have not tried this... and those who have had very bad experiences.
Not talking about adding pepper directly to the spirit! Rather, adding only 1 jallapeno to 5-6 gallons of wine (added in primary only).
Quite a pleasant warmth to the glow of the finish... aging very nice and mellow.
just a slight warmth, that's all. I'm a pepperholic and biased, however anyone who's tried this loves its' light "zing" at the finish(even those with the most sensitive of pallets).
I caught the food networks special on peppers(makes me no authourity, but found it interesting)
Apparently, the caspsicum unlocks all the taste bud receptors on your tounge and lodges in 'em. Thus, creating the burn. It was recomended, that the only real cure from the heat, is to do a swig of good clean ethynol. The stronger the spirit, the better! It will pull this oil off of your tounge and out of your mouth, but there was no remedy for the second burn mentioned. ( I do recal Cheech saying something about ice-cream;)) I've found the first method to be a great solution for even the heat of a habanero.
Maybe next time I'll try 2 smoked peppers.
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

When I worked as a dive instuctor we used to drink brave hearts a shot glass half vodka half tabasco sauce need to have half a dozen drinks first good hangover cure too I loooove the taste of chilli but have lots of dificulty with the heat milk and cucumber takes the edge off.I have put cayanne peppers with about 500ml of 80% abv for about 3 weeks then cut it to 45% abv good with gummbo :evil:
Such is life
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

This is an Australian commercial spirit that uses hot chilies.
Their description sounds good.
http://www.wildbrumby.com/flavor/devils_tongue/
You fellows in Canberra Seem to have a nice Bavarian Style Schnapps Distiller in your presence.
I would love to taste some of their spirits but they seem to be a bit far away from the USA man.
bushido
Swill Maker

Post by bushido »

here in canada, we have a vodka called Inferno, it has 2 hot banana peppers in it. Rule of thumb is, the more yellow the pepper is, the hotter the vodka. If you don't want your masceration burning, get the peppers out while they are still red, then they may not burn the second time 'round!
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

St. George's Spirits just came out with a Chipotle Vodka. Limited release, you can buy it online from Caddell and Williams.

"Base spirit distilled from Fresno chiles, infused with Habañero, Jalapeño, and Red Bell peppers for a wonderful balance of smoke and heat."

Cheers,
J
msrorysdad
Bootlegger

Post by msrorysdad »

I like to soak chipotle and dried ancho peppers with a few jalapenos in a jug of 190 proof for a week or so, beautiful red color, cut to 100 proof or so, then bloody my marry. If you don't like heat, dump the japs, just use the others, it's still hot, but you can cut it back with vodka to your taste. I like the way the heat stays with you. I've seen some stuff on the devil tongue pepper, 'sposed to make habaneros look weak. I used to take 2 tablespoons of Tabasco a day to ward off the skeeters, and to keep me healthy.
TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY
Rumrunner

Post by TRANSPLANTED HILLBILLY »

I had been overlookin this thread cause the topic didnt really interest me. But I think you pepper heads will get a kick out of this. Dail up service may be frustrateing, but its worth it.

http://www.bentbay.dk/ring_of_Fire.htm onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Enjoy
If it was easy everybody would do it.

Please join the Partnership For an Idiot Free World.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

:? :oops: :shock: :o :) :D :D :D
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Too true TH
I have a half gallon of chilli vodka that needed to have a lot of neutral spirit added before it became drinkable, and I only used three chillies. Make a fine Bloody Mary now though.
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.