Googe's Goo AKA The Kale-Sugar Wash

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

googe
retired

Re: Googe's Goo AKA The Kale-Sugar Wash

Post by googe »

Howd it go bushman?
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Went great, I just started my second set of fermentation. Seems as though it quit running before tails which is similar to a BW. I just proofed to 43% and started infusing my own version of Gin. I will share the recipe in a couple months when it is done if it turns out the way I expect it too. Below is a picture of my infused gin in a 2 gallon ball jar. I show the herbs but also added manderine orange peels. I dedicated a krups coffee grinder for crushing the seeds and berries (worked great).
We are also eating a lot of kale and I really like it.
114160B4-FC57-4AA3-A325-033047A25E2E.jpeg
In 2.5 weeks I will run the gin through my 5 gallon essential oil pot still then let it rest for 5 weeks before reporting my results. If it meets my standards I will share the recipe in the recipe thread.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I think you will like gin made with Goos Wash ,Bushy
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Interesting herb combo. Dry Fly's tasting room served my son an "old fashioned" made with their gin and curried bitters. It was interesting. I think ill try an Indian gin herb bill with cumin, turmeric, garam masala, corriander, curry powder. Maybe fenugreek (but that may overpower). I guess if I run without juniper it would be a butter sauce vodka...maybe try with and without juniper.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Doing my second kale run today to stock up on neutrals as my previous stock was used in making gin and I would like to stock up for liqueurs for the coming holidays.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

1/2 way through the run and it looks like it will be a higher yield than my first run. I have lots of kale left but not sure I will get another run in this fall as there is a lot of winterizing and projects but hope to use some more of the kale before it goes bad.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Bushman you can freeze the kale for use later on. I have no issues with ferments using kale that had been frozen. My next thing is to air dry kale for storage and see if I can successfully ferment with that.
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

kimbodious wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:58 pm Bushman you can freeze the kale for use later on. I have no issues with ferments using kale that had been frozen. My next thing is to air dry kale for storage and see if I can successfully ferment with that.
I know, my kale is at our community garden and it’s a matter of getting to the garden. Thanks for the reminder though!
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Freezing it is probably better than fresh in some ways. You don't have to blend it up either, as the cellulose would be degraded with the freezing.
I've done it that way with whole leaves and it worked, but the leaves developed a slime on them in the fermenter. Not sure what it was, but it was still the best base spirit I've ever made to date.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I strip my kale and run it through the food processor.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

So I love this wash, very clean and any "off" flavor is a light flowery honey sweetness. Which I kinda recently figured out. Kale is one of / the highest source for many carotenoids. Almost as much beta carotene as carrots, more lutein and zeaxanthin than any other food, 2nd only to cabbage for betaine etc. Carotenoids are degraded in fermentation and the still to delicious things. See:
http://www.leffingwell.com/caroten.htm
And in addition, carotenoids are the precursors of many important chemicals responsible for the flavor of foods and the fragrance of flowers.
<snip>
What do Tea, Rose, Osmanthus flowers, Tobacco, Grapes and Saffron all have in common?
The answer: flavor & aroma constituents derived from carotenoids! In the discussion of chemical constituents derived from carotenoids in the linked pages we will explore some of the important materials which contribute to the flavor/aroma.
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/rum-oi ... ll-stereo/
haha, just kidding, how can you ever choose what to quote from this enthusiastic madman? And he's quoting someone who is even MORE passionately nerdy!
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/ionone-a-rebours/
https://scentandmolecules.wordpress.com ... e-ketones/
Rose ketones are quite common in nature and when disregarding roses, they were found to contribute to the scent of apricots, beer, blackberries, grapes and wine, kiwi, mango, papaya, passion fruit, rum, raspberries, tobacco, tomato, tea, and many more. This is actually not very surprising, because the biological origin of the rose ketones is the oxidation of carotenoids.

So yeah, that sweet floral note from kale wash makes perfect sense, and honestly may deserve to see if we can over do it rather than feed just enough. Not for a neutral of course, but for a sweet floral liquor or gin base. I have a single wheat whiskey in queue soon, and I think I'll do a sugarhead with the grains and feed it 10-50x the kale I've been using for neutrals, maybe even run it off a bit low at like 95% or so.
The different rose ketones now allow to highlight many different aspects of a rose scent, but are also used to deepen “culinary” fragrance compositions based around honey, chocolate, or even olive or tomato. They are said to add “radiance, bloom and naturalness”.
Sounds like it would play amazingly complementary roles in various liquors, and the threshold for a lot these is tiny, ridiculously tiny for synergistic effects. Some wheat florals, a little grain backbone, and the kiss of kale ketones? Sounds good to me.

And I'll take this opportunity to remind ya'll to EAT KALE yourselves. If you're adult enough to be making and drinking booze, you're old enough to eat your vegetables. Just chomp it down raw with some black coffee like a big boy, you can do it. Also, since we aren't getting any younger, and we definitely drink a bit, how about this:
Can Phytochemicals be Effective in Preventing Ethanol-Induced Hepatotoxicity in the Geriatric Population? An Evidence-Based Revisit
it's chapter 17 from a book here http://library.lol/main/65DC8A4154FC1F1 ... 26A36A4404
Numerous preclinical in vivo and in vitro studies have demonstrated the hepatoprotective actions of phytochemicals. Phytochemicals exert their protective effect against alcohol-induced liver damage by antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimutagenic, and lipotropic actions, all of which are of significant use in elderly people. Phytochemicals are beneficial not only in treating the hepatotoxic complications of alcohol but also in preventing adverse effects of alcohol on the liver.
Those phytochemicals, yes they're all listed and referenced and half of the ones proven good for the drinking man's liver (or otherwise medicated livers too) are the ones all up in some kale. Eat it.

I lost a friend to liver failure this year, mid 40's, never had a bite of kale in his life. Don't be that guy, eat (and drink) your dark leafy greens.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

That floral also goes really well with other gin botanicals imo.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:34 pm I strip my kale and run it through the food processor.
Me too, even when I am using the frozen stuff.
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Hi team, how would you compare this to TFFV? Both that and Googe's Goo seem to be well regarded for neutral washes, but it seems to me there is a preference (kimbodius and others) for Googe's Goo now? Thanks in advance.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

The Goos Goo that Ive made carried a slight floral note.....there for I like it for gin. I do use more kale than recommended in the recipe and I think thats why mine carries a floral note.
My other favourite is Shadys SS.....which I use for a neutral base for any other drinks such as lemoncello.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also add more kale than the original recipe, the birdwatchers is an easier recipe to make and in my opinion also makes a good base alcohol for liqueurs.
stmaus
Novice

Post by stmaus »

Thanks for your feedback.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I just started this, however, cannot really find kale. I used Napa cabbage, I checked it's nutritional value and it seemed comparable to the kale. It started fermenting quickly in about less than an hour.
I did one sad looking napa cabbage (got it in the afternoon after the open market had shut down and it was the only one laying around)
Put it in the blender
Converted 3kilo sugar and added the cabbage to hot water
Activated 40grams of angel sugar tolerant bakers yeast
Added all that to 14litres water bringing the total water amount to 18 litres
It's bubbling away, we'll see how it goes
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

SGB wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm I just started this, however, cannot really find kale. I used Napa cabbage, I checked it's nutritional value and it seemed comparable to the kale. It started fermenting quickly in about less than an hour.
I did one sad looking napa cabbage (got it in the afternoon after the open market had shut down and it was the only one laying around)
Put it in the blender
If that’s all you added, you light want to watch the pH, it could crash on you.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

A lot of nutrients in that Napa cabbage, plus I used the entire thing ,way more that 50grams, hopefully it will carry through, if not, Well, there's a beach of coral just down the way
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Don’t forget that the kale is just meant to be a source of micronutrients. It is not meant to be in such quantity that it becomes a flavouring agent.

In a 23 litre wash I only use 50 - 80 grams of kale (or about 4 leaves).

That equates to using 1.5 - 3 ounces in a 6 US gallon wash
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

kimbodious wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:49 am Don’t forget that the kale is just meant to be a source of micronutrients. It is not meant to be in such quantity that it becomes a flavouring agent.

This is about the amount that I use per breaking down the original large batch to six gallon size. I also run it through my food processor to chop it up.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

kimbodious wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:49 am Don’t forget that the kale is just meant to be a source of micronutrients. It is not meant to be in such quantity that it becomes a flavouring agent.

Yes but I didn't use Kale, I used Napa Cabbage. Just to experiment with it as a viable alternative. Because of certain nutritional differences, I used the whole thing. Napa Cabbage doesn't really have much of a taste ..kinda iceberg lettuce taste...
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Windswept wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:59 pm
SGB wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:10 pm I just started this, however, cannot really find kale. I used Napa cabbage, I checked it's nutritional value and it seemed comparable to the kale. It started fermenting quickly in about less than an hour.
Put it in the blender
If that’s all you added, you light want to watch the pH, it could crash on you.

Well, I keep forgetting to get ph strips or some kind of
pool ph test kit. I really don't know what the ph is. I'm hoping that because I live on a Volcanic island and the water comes from the river below the volcano that it has the minerals to keep it stable. It been almost a week now and there is still movement albeit a bit slower today, but it's been active all week long. I've pretty much left it alone but after movement stops i'll open it and check for taste and the SG FG.
If it does work, it will be the vegan organic neutral I'm hoping to achieve
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

SGB wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:52 pm Well, I keep forgetting to get ph strips or some kind of
pool ph test kit. I really don't know what the ph is. I'm hoping that because I live on a Volcanic island and the water comes from the river below the volcano that it has the minerals to keep it stable.
Chuck in a couple of large shells or a piece of coral.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

OK, went down and picked up a handful of coral and a couple clam shells. I guess I'll boil them and rinse to get the salt out and drop a few small pieces in there. It's still active but a bit calmed down than yesterday. It's a little cooler today too. Its been fermenting 6days now
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

OK, it's been about one week. I checked the SG and it's now 990. The starting SG was about 1.050 . Activities slowed down a couple days ago and I put some coral in it and the action stayed relatively the same. It still has a couple bubbles but I'm assuming it's done by the gravity reading.
I will run it later on today.
What I would like to ask is, adding coral at the start won't hurt anything, it just sits there as a sort of ph balance insurance and is self activating and self regulating?
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 am Doing my second kale run today to stock up on neutrals as my previous stock was used in making gin and I would like to stock up for liqueurs for the coming holidays.
Hello, I was wondering if you could inform me, did you add backset from your previous kale wash into your new kale wash? As I am running mine now and will start up another one or two.

On a side note: because I used Napa cabbage,
The trub or left over cabbage floating on top tasted like sour kraut . Tasted like it needed to go on a hotdog! I would bet if I used whole leaves and recycled them into some hot sambal sauce I'd be pretty close to Kim Chee!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

SGB wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:02 pm
Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:41 am Doing my second kale run today to stock up on neutrals as my previous stock was used in making gin and I would like to stock up for liqueurs for the coming holidays.
Hello, I was wondering if you could inform me, did you add backset from your previous kale wash into your new kale wash? As I am running mine now and will start up another one or two.

On a side note: because I used Napa cabbage,
The trub or left over cabbage floating on top tasted like sour kraut . Tasted like it needed to go on a hotdog! I would bet if I used whole leaves and recycled them into some hot sambal sauce I'd be pretty close to Kim Chee!
No on the backseat, can’t comment on your side note.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Thanks Bushman
Thank you NZChris