How does this sound for easy rum?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dan

How does this sound for easy rum?

Post by Dan »

I have never seen a better fermenter thats for sure!

What do you think of this recipe? Looking for the best bang for the buck here, i.e. closest rum flavor w/o using all kinds of strange wacky ingredients.

Small trial run:

1 cup feed grade molasses
2 cups sugar

add to gallon jug, add about 3 quarts, or enough to bring SG to 1.09

i have a hybrid still, it does about 60-70% which is perfect i think for rum making no?

so what do you think of this recipe?
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

You would be better off to use brown sugar. Add a little lemon juice or some slices of lemon, this wakes the wash slightly acidic which keeps your yeasties happy. ....and make more than 1 gallon of wash, it's too hard to make proper cuts with such a small amount and besides that you'll only end up with a cup or 2 of drinkable spirit.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Sample run, and I've never had yeast more happy, I cant believe how fast they started or how vigorously it's going now. I've dont beer, wine, and in distilling, sugar washes and watermelon wine washes and this run is the most vigorous fermenter yet.

but yeah it's a sample run, i do them in 1 gallon sizes until i get a flavor that i want then i scale it up. since i dont do neutral spirits if i get a flavor that isnt quite optimal then it's not as big a deal.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

If your yeast is happy thats great. What kinda yeast did you use?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Sounds similar to the one i've been doing that Possum posted..

Only difference really, besides the ratio, being that the sugar is inverted before the yeast is pitched.
I've been using raw sugar and the taste transfers well. Also using a Lavlin distillers yeast in all my brews called "Danstil 'C'". It's a specialty whiskey yeast, so not ideal for the rum washes, but still goes well.
Got three 500g sacks of it on run out for $15 a bag from a winery supplier, pretty good when i was paying $3 for a 5g package of Red Star Champagne Yeast before :shock:

Another thing that i've found makes a BIG difference in palatabilty in the end is spicing your rum while it's on oak blocks.
I put mine up in 1.5 litre lots, in 2litre bottles at 65% for a month or two with ...

40ml Sherry,
30ml Maple Syrup,
2 x Pinch of cloves,
Same of Cinnamon
8 drops vannilla essence
2 pepper corns.

:wink:
Dan

Post by Dan »

Uncle Remus wrote:If your yeast is happy thats great. What kinda yeast did you use?
2+ year old bulk bakers yeast that's been in the frig. I also have ec1118 however i am trying for frugal so wanted to see what it'd be like with the bulk yeast.

well, this was started last thursday, and by using the alcohol calculator on this site, the wash went from 1.09 to 1.03 already and is finally starting to slow down. I actually suspect the sg might be a little lower than 1.03, however due to the bubble action pushing the meter up. so anyway this puts it about 7-8% alcohol right now, I cant distil tomorrow, sometime tuesday will be good, and i estimate based on current action, the alcohol level to be around 10%.

punkin, no offense but the point of this is to make decent to good rum without adding all those strange ingrediants :)

just mollases and ferment (and sugar, cause my mollases is feed grade). My 1 concession if it comes out good, will be to bottle age the next batch with toasted oak flakes. but nothing fancy after that!! :)

i want pirate rum yarrrr.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Dan wrote:
punkin, no offense but the point of this is to make decent to good rum without adding all those strange ingrediants :)

That maybe the case, but if you are chasing a spiced rum.....all those ingredients aren't so strange. In fact, they are fairly common.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

CoopsOz wrote:
Dan wrote:

That maybe the case, but if you are chasing a spiced rum.....all those ingredients aren't so strange. In fact, they are fairly common.
Get ya mate, the fancy ingredients aren't part of the rum, it only has inverted raw sugar, mollasses, water and yeast. The fancy comes with aging and bottling, not a neccersary part of the rum, no offence taken. :roll:
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Hey Punkin, just to clarify, I was agreeing with you.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I understand, just quoted you Coops, cause i was to lazy to edit and quote Dan. I was replying to Dan i'm just unclear tonight, running 16 litres of UJSM low wines and it just keeps pouring out at 88-86%, litre after litre :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

About 1.2 litre an hour and i been goin for 6 hours :?