Clear apple pie

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cantspel
Novice

Re: Clear apple pie

Post by cantspel »

I charged my thump with peaches and had no flavor transfer. made a mess in the thump, and wasted 3 big jars of peaches. I haven't tried since
Tripped and fell down the rabbit hole 11/05/14
Stopped looking for a way out 1/1/16
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Not surprised at that . We were talking about shooting the thumper with a concentrated liquid . That worked extremely well for Jed . Lot of mass versus flavor in whole peaches vs concentrate . Small loss , though . You know now that you weren't happy with that approach . Hit it from a different direction .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
cantspel
Novice

Post by cantspel »

So like apple juice or grape juice from concentrate?
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Yes ,something like that .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
cantspel
Novice

Post by cantspel »

I might just drill a hole in my thump and cork it. I'm very interested in getting some flavor transfer
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cantspel wrote:I might just drill a hole in my thump and cork it. I'm very interested in getting some flavor transfer
Not sure about your build to advise . I advocate a fill pipe and a drain in both boiler and thumper . Gooseye never made it clear whether to drain thumper before shootin it or not . I only discussed theory with Jed . He's the one that nailed it in practice .
cantspel
Novice

Post by cantspel »

I would think that once the heads are gone, they are gone. Should be no need to dump the thump
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

cantspel wrote:I would think that once the heads are gone, they are gone. Should be no need to dump the thump
Some of them nasties are gonna be in the thump liquid . Why give them a chance to ride along ?
cantspel
Novice

Post by cantspel »

makes sense. its called a doubler for a reason
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Truckinbutch wrote:
cantspel wrote:I would think that once the heads are gone, they are gone. Should be no need to dump the thump
Some of them nasties are gonna be in the thump liquid . Why give them a chance to ride along ?
By the time your heads have come over, wouldn't there be a lot of hearts residing in the thumper that you'd be dumping as well?
You're basically making the argument that thumper smear cuts to a greater degree.

Or do I misunderstand what you're getting at?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

When I did mine I started with 2x ran. I did a good head cut on run 2 then stripped the rest. For the pie run I did a small fores/heads cut and collected till it started tasting off.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:
Truckinbutch wrote:
By the time your heads have come over, wouldn't there be a lot of hearts residing in the thumper that you'd be dumping as well?
You're basically making the argument that thumper smear cuts to a greater degree.

Or do I misunderstand what you're getting at?
Just my opinion . The vapor progression is the same . The vapors follow the heat as it increases to the condenser . Thumper just concentrates what comes from the boiler to make fractioning a little easier .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

So now that i've built a thumper, and had this thread in mind when I did so also built in a fill port (corked) so that I could "shoot it", I'm up for suggestions to "clear apple pie". I've played a bit when doing cleaning and sac runs, definitely need to heat up whatever you are shooting before, even when i shut down for the minute or two then put some feints in to see, it gurgled and wanted to suck back in boiler from the minute temp change. So have we had any luck on "clear apple pie"?

For keeping it clear, and sweetening a bit, some white sugar made into a syrup would work, but usually turns golden. So that got me thinking to wine stuff. I'm no fan of glycerine, but that could be the answer to sweetening afterwords and still keep it clear. Just thoughts. I've got some UJSSM fermenting and i'd like to play around with shooting my thump keg a bit. I have a kerosene heater with a rack on top for heating, so putting whatever i am going to shoot in there and keeping it nice and hot before I do is the idea. I was thinking of a strong syrup maybe made with some of this cinnamon stuff I buy to make cinnamon toothpicks, and some apple cider, maybe some nutmeg and vanilla as well.

After making some apple pie and sharing it with friends (I did it simple, cask strength, tossed in some apples, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean and let set for awhile, then a bit of brown sugar and cider to proof it down) and watching their eyes light up after taking a sip, it has got me wanting to do a this clear version even more.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Jist a bit of update. This makes a darn fine drink moxed woth sweet tea on ice
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

As far as corks. Ole boys never done that. The steamlikker will scald you. Repetition an long hours will get hurt if you don't keep your wits about you.

So I'm tole
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

I know this is an older thread but this shootin idea with a preheated mixture and the safety issues kind of has me thinking. If one was to solder in a male adapter on top of a 2” tee at thumper outlet you could put a full port valve in and a proper sized resevoir on top of it filled through a threaded cap. Pre heated mixture goes in reservoir halfway through heads. At end of heads back out of heat, screw cap on reservoir and open valve safely “shooting” concoction into thumper. Close valve remove cap and turn heat back up to continue run. Anybody try something similar? I think I may incorporate this design into my current thumper build.

Edit
After a bit more research I see this has been done before by pshine. Also I think for the infrequent use I would have for it, shutting down and pulling a couple corks is probably the most elegant answer to shoot the thumper.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!