Clear apple pie

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Clear apple pie

Post by Truckinbutch »

May have opened this in the wrong corner and I'm fine if it gets moved elsewhere if there's any input .
>Couple days back k72 posted about and old boy giving him a drink of a great apple pie that was clear . Been buggin hell out of me to figure out how you might do that . Gonna be a few months before I get to still again
and I'm looking for ideas while I wait for the smoke to clear .
>Best idea I've come up with so far is to charge my boiler with some of my best triple run cut to safe level and charge the thumper with an apple pie mix without likker that I prepared a few days in advance and strained well before it went into the thumper .
>All input will be appreciated .
>Opened this thread rather than jack k72's original post .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Clear apple pie

Post by S-Cackalacky »

TB, I think your thumper idea is a good one. The trick might be to get the blend of spices right. I would think it might be necessary to kick the strength of the spice flavor up a bit to get a good carry over into the final product.

You might also take a lesson from "Odin's Easy Gin" and macerate the XXX spirits you'll be using in the run. Maybe macerate with the spices and charge the thumper with apples/apple juice.

Good luck with it.

BTW - maybe this should be moved over to Recipe Development. Let me know and I'll do it for you.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Halfbaked just PMed me that it is already moved . Poses some interesting challenges to contemplate over the next few months .Flavor balance and carry over , cuts , clarity ......... Worth exploring , I think .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Sounds like you hope to be back on track soon with the hobby.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

So the hard part is you don't know what k72's stuff is tastn like and you are tryin to match it. Well I assume that you don't know K72 but I could be wrong. I am sure that you will come up with something great. Who knows his stuff could have been tampered with after it was ran with a clear flavoring. I have tasted that it it was really amazing. The one I had was peach (my fav) and a little sugar.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

SCak , few months for the smoke to clear . For sure I am looking at coming back as well or better . Do you disinherit a renegade child or excommunicate her ? Disinheriting is the best I have come up with so far . Let the FBI and her church become her family . She is done here ...................
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Halfbaked ,
Never met the gentleman and have not a clue as to what he tasted was like or how it was made . Just looking for ideas from the crowd on how this might be made as good as what he perceives .
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

My last batch has had the best flavor ever.
Mix your cider and your spices in the thumper pot, heavy on the spices. The apple and the cinnamon flavor come over strong and delicious.
On my next run, I am going to try and run the fores/heads through before I add the cinnamon and cider into the thumper so that the flavor is fresh and strong and not wasted on the heads.
If I could I would send you a jar just to share, I can't believe my sugar head/wash with reused apple cider tastes this good. Crystal clear smooth flavorful and delicious.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Red Rim , the way you did it occurred to me ,as well . Been trying to figure out how to not waste boiler charge by contaminating it with heads and fores .What you are proposing is a deal of extra work . Be worth it to get a great tasting apple pie that is clear .
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Somebody has to say it so I will...

Maybe Janitor could figure this one out with kool-aid. Lol

On the more serious side, what about infusing some higher proof spirits with the flavor (ie macerated apples and your cinnamon, all spice, whatever you use aged for a bit on some say 160 proof neutral) then cutting that down and running again, or putting in thumper with a run? Or the use of a gin basket with your flavors? I'm just a rookie with no thumper (yet) but trying to through something out there.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

TB you definitely have my attention with this.

Just a shot in the dark here, heavily spice your apple pie, in equal ratios. Charge thumper with cider. Run it.

Perhaps make an essence to add to distillate. Would cider or apple juice carry it's flavor over if distilled on it's own? If ran fast?

Like Moosemilk mentioned, gin basket (I'm fascinated with these as I've yet to build mine).
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Been wondering what your sign was all about... My condolences TB. :silent:

As far as clear apple pie (not brandy) that sounds like a top of the list project. Good ideas there! Wish I had a thumper or gin basket...
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Sorry to bump an old-ish thread. Has anyone had any progress with this.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

hellbilly007 wrote:Sorry to bump an old-ish thread. Has anyone had any progress with this.
I'm still in 'timeout' .
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

10-4. Sorry, I had forgot about your situation. I hope the best for you and yours.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

I am still drinking the last batch. I made 8 gallons of finished product. The first half had a heavy charge of cinnamon and apple cider in the thumper, it came off flavorful and delicious. The second half I got board and just ran it. It came out missing all of the flavor. More like a vodka, with a week apple/ sugar head bite. If you are going to do it, then go for it, heavy on the cinnamon!

The trees are dropping there apples all around. Now it is time for another fresh run of cider. Time to get my squeeze on.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Thanks for that Red Rim. Did you run this with product that already had proper cuts or no? Did the cinnamon come over at a different time than the apple juice?
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

I ran this uncut, made the cuts later.
The apple and cinnamon where in the thumper at the same time.
Good luck, it is a fun project.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

The best apples won't be in for at least 3 more weeks.

One word of advice. Honeycrisp.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Forgot about your situation TB, it sucks. I have a 37 yr old daughter poisoned by 2 harpy ex-wives, boy can I pick-em, we haven't talked in over 8 yrs. Her loss cause I can't fix stupid when it's encased in cement. Just cut off communication after stating your points and concerns and be done with it. As Mark Twain once said, " There's 2 way's to win an argument with a woman.....and I don't know either of them!"
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Just had a try for you. 5g of cinnamon stick in a litre of 43% 'neutral' & apple juice. Discarded 10ml, kept 500ml.

Cinnamon was coming over strong in the last 200ml, but the 5g wasn't enough. I might rescue this one by dropping a stick in it.

I'll try 20g next time, and make sure I have enough hard cider to cut the neutral with. Her Indoors had been getting into our stash and I hadn't noticed how low we were getting.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Shoot it. Turn the wick back an shoot it warm.

So I'm tole
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

goose eye wrote:Shoot it. Turn the wick back an shoot it warm.

So I'm tole
About how warm? To make up for heat loss is that correct?
How far into the run would they say is best?
If you could ask them Goose. Thanks.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

My apologies for the newbie question,but I haven't run across the term "shoot it". Would some knowledgeable person please enlighten me and expand my stillin' vocabulary?
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Moose I am pretty sure shooting refers to installing into the thumper the flavor adjunct after fores n heads are collected.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I think that's right. The point is to not waste the flavor on the fores/heads. If you try it, you will need to devise some way to inject the flavor component into the thumper. I was planning to just make a hole in my thumper lid and plug it with a natural cork stopper. When it's time to inject (shoot) the flavor in, turn down the heat, pull the stopper, inject the flavoring, put the stopper back in, and put the heat back up.

Edit: Shoot it warm - heat the flavor component before shooting it so that you're not having to reheat the thumper.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Got I, thanks for the explanation. I keep hanging around here, and all ya'll gonna have this canuck removing "eh" from his vocabulary and sounding like I belong in WV (although a lot of terms I do understand having heard from grandparents who hear from parents that were once
From that way, and I picked up using too...borders are just lines on a map).
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Apples and pears can be delicate in flavor so Cack is right about not wasting your fruit notes.

FYI, I did find that orange is very durable and can supply a nice bit of flavor even with fores n heads taking some orange with it. I also noticed that it helped with collecting a bit deeper in to tails.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

She'll steam on you when you shoot it so keep your wits about you.
If it droppin like a rock add likker with your other stuff.
flavers come at different times so what you tryin to make will depend on when.
You making soup you don't add it all at the start but the whole while. Just do the same.
if it wet you adding warm if it dry it don't matter. Likker keep your wits about you.

So I'm tole
drunk-pat100
Novice

Post by drunk-pat100 »

Thinkin bout doin this, this weekend. Do you think it would help if I shot the ingredients in the thumper multiple times during the run for more flavor?