Millet Whiskey?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Millet Whiskey?

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Hello to all!

Well, I searched all the forums, and posted twice for any experiances with this, but nothing, so decided to just wing it and see what happens.

Got a bushel of fresh White Proso Millet- animal feed. Very small, soft seed. Had to adjust my roller mill twice to get a crush, and should have done it a third time.

Started a UJSM last Fri evening useing 9# millet and same sugar, 23L water and used whiskey yeast/AG. Ferment is approaching compltion. Will run it tommorrow.

I then plan to split the backset into thirds. Rerun this batch with a third, Make a thin mash with the second, and a full all grain mash with the third.

Going to run these with a packed potstill slowly. Collect in small increments and let air overnight. See what it tastes like and compare. If not much difference may just combine all for a spirit run.

Any comments, suggestions, warnings, will be greatly appreciated.

Will post my findings and tastings when appropriate.

Ian Smiley's book, the last 2 pages: Millet makes some of the best whiskeys of all- millet is soft so seperation is easily made by adding the grain to 88°, and let rest for 10 min. Was thinking of useing the hot backset for this? Sound feasable?

I am very thankful and appreciative to have this site to learn and share with. Thanks UJ!

Mtnwalker
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

I have now made 2 runs. The first was like UJSM uncooked and the second was a thin mash. Conversion went well and I added 9# sugar to the 9# of grain. Used whiskey yeast with AG on both.

Quite a surprise. I was expecting something like my oats, mild and simple. This is a really strong flavored grain. I ran it pot still mode, very slow, and with a bit of packing also. Made overly deep cuts. There was very little difference in the 2.

This is the strongest flavored whiskey I have ever made. A second run would tone it down some, but I was too anxious to let it age a bit and try. I left one white, and put the other with heavy toasted oak. The oak is the winner by far.

After sitting on the oak for 12 days, it is actually really good. Different.

Closest thing I can compare it too at this stage... First thoughts were a really good strong Irish, but after several more sips and smells, reminds me actually of a really good cognac sp.

So, I am going to start several more batches, do a bunch of stripping runs, and then a spirit run, then start some serious ageing.

I was disappointed when I first ran it and tried it, being so strong, but after just that short amount of time, on a lot of oak, it is a beautiful dark amber and already it equals anything I have ever made. But then I like a strong whiskey. Plus the pleasure of produceing something very unique. Sure not bad for a first time trial run.

Thanks Ian Smiley. May have to change my name to-The Millet Man!

PS. I am also going to start a few runs with a mix useing this. I think it could produce a killer bourbon, and a great Scotch blend.

Some of you more experianced distillers, that are all caught up on your runs, give this a try, and help me figure out the best recipes. I think you will be surprised.

Mountain Walker, AKA The Millet Man.
>habit" Aristotle
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

nice

Post by Uncle Jesse »

sounds good, maybe I'll give it a try soon
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

did you just use "millet seed"? sounds interesting. i like something that i can get in a 50lb bag no questions asked. the last time i asked for rye the guy looked kosher so i asked if he had rye i could make whiskey from. hae said no. sure made things easier.
Day Late;Dollar Short
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

rye

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Get unmalted rye from any "whole food" or "health food" store. They sell it in small amounts but they'll gladly order a 50 pound sack for ya. If they ask tell them you have a thing for rye bread. Not that it's any of their business.

Malted rye you can get from a brewery supply place. Again they sell small amounts but have larger bags available. I used to buy 25 pound bags of malted, rolled rye no problems.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

Most small places are just glad for an order.

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

We call it milo here. Malts really good, but has a wang to it. After aging some of the old timers say it is the best. I personaly disagree, but my yeast loves it. All you need is a shovel to get all you want at harvest time.
Ricky
Swill Maker

Post by Ricky »

i have found rye at the hippie store. havent asked for 50lbs yet. i wish i had a brewstore in my state. havent located one yet. as for milo that might work for me.
Day Late;Dollar Short
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

I would be careful of what I was ordering. The white Proso millit was a feed grain for animals. The other 2 was for hay and waterway coverin;gs. Ttheir seed might be good also, don't know. This is as new to me as to anyone here. I just thought if it were good animal feed, it would be good for my needs also. Very good whiskey so far though.
>habit" Aristotle
Dunderhead

millit

Post by Dunderhead »

I found both red and white millit in wild bird food

if any buddy ask i'm making beer
I condens it so it fits in the bottle
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Seems we have almost as many races of millet as we have people. Give them all a try. Report findings.

Understand, this is a totally new grain for us here. A totally new taste. 2 row or 6 row barley if we were starting from scratch?

Lets have some fun. Its a powerful good drink.

So far, I have only used the white Proso Millet, as it was recommended as thd best animal feed at the store. 50# was fairy cheap.
>habit" Aristotle
Dunderhead

millit

Post by Dunderhead »

Millit derived frum wild grass so many diferent
some so small not worth it
I wold go with 2 row barley more flavor-less proteen
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

DH,
Actually, the millet has a lot more flavor than barley. Doesn't have to be malted, no need to do a sparge, you can ferment on the grain, and its half the cost. It worked very well with a no cook UJSM ferment, and the AG added, did a lot of conversion. It ages and mellows very fast on oak.

I have mixed some with sour mash corn last night and it made a very nice drink. I now have a 75% corn, 25% millet fermenting UJSM method, and will make several backset runs with it to see what I get.
>habit" Aristotle
Dunderhead

millet

Post by Dunderhead »

If this turns out good
it mite be a good one four SKYMEAT
gluton free
EziTasting
Novice

Re: Millet Whiskey?

Post by EziTasting »

I wish there was more info in here... I am keen to have a go but there’s so much contradictory info and seems no one has ever finished a full recipe.

Ah well, keep searching.
Cheers
EZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I've had good luck malting millet
It's sold around here as bird seed.

Here's some info I found

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _and_Malts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Darek Bell, Owner of Corsair Distillery and author of Alt Whiskeys (Amazon) is the go-to source for using alternative grains like millet.

Here's a start...

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .tb00410.x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

ttps://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

viewtopic.php?t=62365
Last edited by Twisted Brick on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
EziTasting
Novice

Post by EziTasting »

Thank you, that’s awesome!

Time for some reading...
Cheers
EZ
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Koval Distillery out of Chicago uses a lot of millet.
Their bourbon is a corn and millet mix.
They also have a straight millet whiskey.
I have used unmalted millet before in a five grain bourbon just to add a little complexity.
I would like to find some malted millet to play around with and check out that flavor profile
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
EziTasting
Novice

Post by EziTasting »

Well, I just got a bag (5Kgs) of Millet which isn’t enough to fluff around with but certainly better than a smack in the face!so I am now re-researching all the Millet threads and other links that are associated with it and I will see if I can put together one document with all that is out there. I have also been reminded about Derek Bells’ book in my library which I am currently reading while sitting at the beach!

Doesn’t get much better than this for a reading spot!
Cheers
EZ
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

If it's helpful, I have a successful Buckwheat Millet that's on chips right now.
Aging along quite nicely for 4 months now; tasting good.
EziTasting
Novice

Post by EziTasting »

Noice!
Cheers
EZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re:

Post by shadylane »

shadylane wrote:We call it milo here. Malts really good, but has a wang to it. After aging some of the old timers say it is the best. I personaly disagree, but my yeast loves it. All you need is a shovel to get all you want at harvest time.
Millet sure as hell ain't milo :lol:
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Millet is "hirse" for us germanic speakers. Also durra/sorghum is in this family. This took me an amazing amount of time to Google.... More than a minute.
Always impatient. But learning.
EziTasting
Novice

Post by EziTasting »

rubelstrudel wrote:Millet is "hirse" for us germanic speakers. Also durra/sorghum is in this family. This took me an amazing amount of time to Google.... More than a minute.
Took me more than a day to distinguish Sorghum from Millet... seems easy to find it in the US, but not so easy in Oz!
Cheers
EZ