Odin's Lazy Bastard Corn Likker

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Odin's Lazy Bastard Corn Likker

Post by Odin »

Okay, some more interesting stuff.

Please see the following link, since it is what I am fermenting right now:

http://www.sipalpartners.com/eng/produc ... izeMalt-44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

If you look at the sugars and contents, you see there's fructose, glucose and maltose. All of these can be converted by yeast to ethanol. Bigger sugar molecules (> DP2) cannot. It's like starch that needs to be broken down first. The chart shows 38% of the dry matter in the corn/malted barley syrup I use is like > DP2 so not readily available to be converted into alcohol.

That's quite a lot. I guess it has to do with the fact this syrup was developed for bakery products and not for distilling/fermenting as is.

Still, I am down to SG 1.015 and it is still fermenting, so I guess the 38% longer chain/starch got converted. Might be there's still enzymatic / diastatic power in there? Or maybe it is the amylase that was an adjunct to the whisky yeast I used? Who knows? To be sure I added a few mls of Beerzym from Erbstloh. That will convert any left over starches into fermentable sugars.

And here's an interesting read-up on sugars and hydrolysis and how enzymes work:

http://www.iea.usp.br/midiateca/apresen ... nload/file" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I guess I am doing SSF right now: sugar sacharification and fermentation at 30c.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Loving the updates Odin. I wonder if it works out if some geographically close members might try a group bulk buy...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

If this works out, and our new showroom with big sized equipment is up and running, I may be ordering this by the IBC container. That should get me a reasonable discount, I hope. I then could also buy in 25 kilo buckets for those interested ... and living nearby. Shipping to other countries would be something to be done via the manufacturer, I guess. When I know more about prices, I will let you guys know.

On the ferment ... seems to be slowing down!

Tempted to add the corn 62 to the ferment and top off with water for a total 200 liter ferment at slightly higher ABV ...

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Don't mix!
Whenever I have thought "hmmm, I might just add this to this..." it is always because I'm being lazy and I almost always regret it. How will you know which is better, for instance?

Are you sure the DP2 is unfermentable?

PS Fig spirit; I know they make it in North Africa. It might be available at any Kosher shops you might have near you in NL. The African stuff is probably made from dried figs, so fig syrup should be broadly analogous. I have a Bulgarian friend who makes his own rakija and he says fig (fresh figs) rakija is wonderful. A French friend told me distillation of fresh figs est interdit en France, because of some compound in it that makes you crazy, but he is not himself a distiler and is possibly full of shit.
Myself, I've never tried spirit of figs.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Okay, I won't mix. DP>2 is only fermentable after further sacharification. At least that's what I suspect. And given its stopped (almost) fermenting at around 1.010 ... I expect there to be residual starch. Maybe the Beerzym will munch them into smaller bits!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

So I didn't mix them ... and that was a good thing. I like the 100% all corn much better. Wow! I got a great corn taste over! It is currently aging on some Am. white oak. Tried some first samples yesterday. More than a few, actually. Really nice and corny!

Odin.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Odin,

Any update on how this all finished out for you after aging?

Anyone else go down this road?
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

Still aging :D