A gin experiment of sorts

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Uncle Remus
Trainee

Re: A gin experiment of sorts

Post by Uncle Remus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:00 am

Hey all it's been a while!

I'm gonna upgrade this recipe a bit. I made a batch the other night with about 8 litres of 95% neutral spirit.

Ingredients:
1/2 a cup of nice ripe purple juniper berries
4 tsp corriander seed
2 tsp anise seed
the zest from 1 orange
the zest from 1 lemon
the zest from 1 lime
a whole cinnamon stick about 3" long
2 tsp of ground cardamon

I used a grater to get all the zest of the citrus fruits, no pith (the white stuff). I put all ingredients into a blender with a couple cups pf neutral spirit and probably about a cup of water. I thoroughly liquefied this mixture and dumped it in the boiler. I added the rest of the neutral spirit as well as about 2 litres of water. I let this all sit in the boiler for about 24 hours and ran it slowly ( this is with a pot still BTW). Most of the run it came off between 80-85 but I ran it down till it was below 30% to try to get lots of flavor before I quit. There were no heads or tails to deal with since I started with a pure spirit. The distilled product was 78-80% AV which I cut to about 42%AV.

It turned out premo, some of the best I've made yet.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.

blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: A gin experiment of sorts

Post by blanikdog » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Interesting post UR. Good to see you back. I'm going to try this and put in some Tasmanian Pepper berries - native tree here - that I got from someone in here who I forget so perhaps they can let me know who they are so I can pass on results. :) :) :)

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.