Distilled Mead

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kelbor
Bootlegger

Distilled Mead

Post by Kelbor »

Welp, I done did it. Sorry for the long post - I write this because I had been curious about doing this for a while and I wish someone else had before I started this experiment.

I have been catching wild swarms these last few years and giving them a nice home in my back yard in exchange for a bit o' honey from time to time (they also get loaned out to friends with fruit trees in the spring to help make fruit - in trade for some of the fruit of course). A few years ago I had an excess of honey so I made four batches of mead (in six gallon carboys).

I kept the honey separate from each hive since it had such different flavors/colors (strange since all the hives are in my back yard fro the majority of the flower "flush" but I guess the bees from each hive will foraged in different spots). I used about three pounds of honey per gallon of water (about 15 pounds per carboy if I remember right - dont have my notes handy). I mixed with warm water and nutrients and then pitched with mead yeast from Wyeast when it was the right temp. I let it ferment in plastic for the initial and then racked into my carboys once the main action had subsided. I then re-racked it several times as the months past and the mead begun to clear. Fast forward a 14 month or so (read: I finally got tired of tripping over the carboys) I got around to distilling it.

Now, I have done a bit of talking about this and have heard over and over that once the first fermentation is done I might as well run it since there really is no additional alcohol being produced. Makes sense. But, but, why do you not drink mead as soon as it is done with the initial ferment? Because it tastes like shit! If I am going for flavor, my thinking is that I should wait for the mead to taste good (well, at least better. Ha!). I also think waiting for it to clear will keep all the yeast out of the still which I believe makes a cleaner product.

Anyhow, I decided to combine my mead to be distilled (since i did not want to spend a millennia running each separate) while saving one gallon of each (un-mixed) to bottle in another year and experience in all its (possible) glory. I stripped fifteen gallons real fast in my keg pot still (two seven+ gallon runs). I then hooked up my corney keg thumper and combined my lows with four gallons of mead in my boiler and placed my last gallon in the thumper. I then ran my spirit run slow and low, collecting in small jars. Aired it out for 48 hours or so and made my cuts. I cut my keeper down to 62.5 and got just over a gallon of. Half a gallon I left white and half a gallon I put on an inch of spiral cut med toast american oak.

This was about two months ago. I have not touched/tasted the oak yet but the white is AMAZING cut down to 40%. Soft and silky smooth in the mouth - almost sweet tasting. Warm in the throat but not hot at all (Im pretty picky with my cuts). The magic is breathing out of the nose after a sip. It's like an explosion of spring...like combining a bouquet of flowers and taking a bit. Like spring came early to the damp, cold Northwest. Like summer in a bottle :thumbup:

Was it worth it? Hell yes! Would I do it if the honey was not free? Hell no! Pennies to pounds it would not make sense but since me and the bees have a little deal worked out it was definitely a fun and gratifying experiment.
humbledore
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Distilled Mead

Post by humbledore »

Interesting, thanks for posting. For some reason I was expecting to get to the end and hear "it was awful!" But I'm glad it came out well!
Spooled
Novice

Post by Spooled »

That sounds fantastic! I'm very thirsty now.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

just saw this minutes after tasting my mead that has been in carboy for over a year, I don't like it....at all. I shall distill it this week sometime
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

So, how did it turn out? I double distilled with a thumper charged with some mead for the second pass. Put some on French oak and some white - both are really getting smoother,....
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I did single run on mine, it is amazing. I think allowing the mead to age properly in the first place is key. New mead truly is disgusting, can't imagine distilling making it much better.
I really get what you mean by breathing out of the nose. truly amazing.
I put all of mine on oak and I'm pretty sure it has dwindled quite a bit. The barrel doesn't seem very heavy. Sip here, sip there. I can't keep my paws off it. On ice

I have noticed it doesn't take on allot of colour from the barrel and the oak is very subtle compared to a whiskey in the barrel. Strange.

If I were to find a source of cheap honey I for sure would put some meads down to do it again. I would also buy a new barrel specifically for it.
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

yeah, do yourself and the world a favor and get you some bees! As long as you catch a wild swarm and just let them be there really is not much investment of time or energy. Check out the 'bee source' forum and the Ware bee box system...

In my snooping around about honey shine I did come across a little nugget of wisdom recently. I read, forget the source now, that clover honey is really not that great distilled - makes fine vodka but for that summer/flower essence you really need to find wild flower honey. Or town honey as most of mine is! Maybe get friendly with some of the hippies down at the saturday/farmers market? A little bottle of shine may go a long way in procuring a good honey hook-up!
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

AS far as oak - I have both my barrels full ((charred barrels) full of corn whiskey in one and Beaver (sweet feed) likker in the other). I am just oaking in a half gallon jar with one of those spiral cut thing-a-majigs. I just used a inch long piece or so as I did not want a super oaky profile. A dedicated light or medium toast barrel might be neat to experiment around with though!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Kelbor, I'm right with you about making a good mead, aging it, and distilling it. I'm a rather novice distiller, but surprised to see how much of the wisdom is that aging the ferment doesn't matter so much. Or yeasts I've seen some say (so long as turbos are avoided). If we're distilling over the esters and such, I would think the yeast and the aging affects those aspects, and thus what comes over.

I recently bought a bunch of honeys: Buckwheat, Orange Blossom and Mesquite. Bough them to make meads (undistilled). It's been a long time since I tasted Buckwheat. Seems harsher than my recollections. I've seen many dispariging comments about the mead it makes... but now I have 60 lbs of it. Feeling a little disappointed about having a crap ton of harsh buckwheat mead... perhaps some metheglins are in that honey's future. I'm thinking that I'll give a shot at some distilled spirits from each varietal, and see what difference they make. I'm patient, and have other plans (rum) to take care of first. So, pitch the mead, rack and wait 6-12 months (my more recent meads are pretty decent in about this timeframe), then distill it. I'll try to report back in a couple of years and let you know how they compare.
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

BJCP Mead judge chiming in. Buckwheat honey makes a VERY flavorful mead.... now the flavor to me is reminiscent of licking a horse. Quite phenolic and almost "Brett" like. If distillation intensifies that, you might be in trouble.

These days following Steve Piatz's staggered nutrient addition regimen for Mead fermentation, a drinkable product can be produced in less than a month. No more of this make Mead and wait 2 years for it to mellow nonsense. The key is healthy, happy yeast. Follow his feeding schedule (DAP and Fermaid K) along with vigorous degassing. The degassing is uber important.

Piatz has a book... it's on Amazon. Really good read.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Thanks! I just ordered that book. I've dome a handful of meads and rather enjoy them. So far I have distilled a mead made from Apple juice, honey, and a bunch of blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, apples, grapes, peaches, and bananas. That was a nice mead but the distillate from it has been smooth, exceptional flavor, and very hard to keep around but I've got a little left on oak that I am not sharing with anyone. I've got another mead (braggot) which I made from apple juice / barley mash then good amount of honey / water. This one never cleared like my other meads but I also didn't use any pectic enzyme or fining agents - not too worried - I might rack off the sediment and add more honey and some nutrients to see if I can bump the ABV a little but it's been aging for a couple months and I'm itching to run it soon and get the honey-shine stock back up and aging :) this one is a cool blend because the ~20gallons of wash is about a 33/33/33 blend of barley-mash / traditional-mead / apple-cider "or so".... I made that specifically to distill but might just clear and bottle a gallon or so as mead for fun.

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Thanks for the feedback Butterpants. I read up on Piatz's regime a month ago but have yet to make a batch since then. Never done the degassing yet either, but I've seen a number of people talking about it. I do plan to try it. Regarding the buckwheat, I'll see what I can do. I've had some pretty good meads, and some lousy, but the lousy grew to acceptable with time. It'll be interested to see if time, or oak, or spices, or distillation will lead to a good use for the buckwheat. I'll find something. It has been a bit overwhelming in my tea these last few mornings. :problem:
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

I had the "pleasure" to sample a NHC (national homebrew competition), 2nd round medal winning mead a few years back. It was my friends and it was a sweet Buckwheat mead. I told him if he ever forced that on me again we were no longer friends. It beat out HUNDREDS of other traditional meads. It's just not for me. I appreciate a quality process and attention to detail but the raw ingredient doesn't agree with me.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I figured I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one. I have a batch of honey shine that came out smelling wonderful, but it's pretty harsh when I taste it. A couple of threads I've found on here suggest just letting it age for a while, but I thought I'd see if anyone has other suggestions. I kind of like the idea of leaving it white, but if it's never going to work, I'll oak it.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I have distilled one or two meads I didn't like Windswept (donations from other mead makers, not mine :wink: ). It was only 5 gallons of mead the first time which I combined with many gallons of cider and a few gallons of wines that didn't make the cut. Been aging it on oak for a year now... haven't checked on it in some time. Presently stripping a bunch of apple (25 gallons or so) and another 5 gallons of donated mead. I'll be putting that on oak to once I'm done. Continue to make lots of meads, which I kind of prefer as meads than as a spirit so far.
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

If you want to learn how to make mead you don't need to distill, the best place to go and learn is www.gotmead.com They got all the mead knowledge there you will ever need and they are a pretty friendly bunch too. I should know, I'm a mod there.

If you want to make a tasty mead with ingredients you can find at the grocery store, try this recipe by Joe Mattoli: REALLY READ the instructions. They are funny and it's VERY important you follow them. This recipe has been refined in the past few years, but this is the recipe that made me really like mead. It finished sweet, but it was a completely hands off process and I have since modified it myself and make 5 gallon batches of the stuff that seems to disappear once it's finished. Ready in about 3 months, better after 6 months.

Myself I make a modified version of this, but I would suggest getting a couple of these under your belt before going off and spending money on fancy yeast or varietal honeys. This is a one gallon recipe and it's foolproof.... mostly.

Ancient Orange Mead (by Joe Mattioli)
1 gallon batch

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Process:
Use a clean 1 gallon carboy
Dissolve honey in some warm water and put in carboy
Wash orange well to remove any pesticides and slice in eights --add orange (you can push em through opening big boy -- rinds included -- its ok for this mead -- take my word for it -- ignore the experts)

Put in raisins, clove, cinnamon stick, any optional ingredients and fill to 3 inches from the top with cold water. ( need room for some foam -- you can top off with more water after the first few day frenzy)

Shake the heck out of the jug with top on, of course. This is your sophisticated aeration process.

When at room temperature in your kitchen, put in 1 teaspoon of bread yeast. ( No you don't have to rehydrate it first-- the ancients didn't even have that word in their vocabulary-- just put it in and give it a gentle swirl or not)(The yeast can fight for their own territory)

Install water airlock. Put in dark place. It will start working immediately or in an hour. (Don't use grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away in the 90's)( Wait 3 hours before you panic or call me) After major foaming stops in a few days add some water and then keep your hands off of it. (Don't shake it! Don't mess with them yeastees! Let them alone except its okay to open your cabinet to smell every once in a while.

Racking --- Don't you dare
additional feeding --- NO NO
More stirring or shaking -- Your not listening, don't touch

After 2 months and maybe a few days it will slow down to a stop and clear all by itself. (How about that) (You are not so important after all) Then you can put a hose in with a small cloth filter on the end into the clear part and siphon off the golden nectar. If you wait long enough even the oranges will sink to the bottom but I never waited that long. If it is clear it is ready. You don't need a cold basement. It does better in a kitchen in the dark. (Like in a cabinet) likes a little heat (70-80). If it didn't work out... you screwed up and didn't read my instructions (or used grandma's bread yeast she bought years before she passed away) . If it didn't work out then take up another hobby. Mead is not for you. It is too complicated.
If you were successful, which I am 99% certain you will be, then enjoy your mead. When you get ready to make different mead you will probably have to unlearn some of these practices I have taught you, but hey--- This recipe and procedure works with these ingredients so don't knock it. It was your first mead. It was my tenth. Sometimes, even the experts can forget all they know and make good ancient mead.

NOTE! This recipe leaves a lot of residual sugar in the final product, so I wouldn't use this to distill.
Last edited by mannye on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mannye
Bootlegger

Post by mannye »

I had 5 gallons of traditional mead that I neglected while it was aging in a carboy and it went all sherry-like (oxidized) so I threw it in my distiller. I stripped it and then a few days later made a low and slow spirit run. The resulting product was delicious. I put a spiral of French Oak (I think) , medium toast in it and a week later it was really really nice. Cut it down to 40% and it was very close to a bourbon in flavor.

I am contemplating making a honey wash just for distilling instead of using it to salvage a bad batch. I figure if something that had bad esters and other nasty stuff from being oxidized tasted good, then maybe a good traditional mead will make great shine!
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

mannye wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:19 pm If you want to learn how to make mead you don't need to distill, the best place to go and learn is [somewhere else]
True that! For anything to be drunk after fermentation without distilling, this is not the best place for 'how to' info. In fact, good mashing, pitching, and fermentation techniques are important, but often not a part of the discussions here. Such is life... for distilling knowledge, I love this forum and all the contributors.

I did go try my mead/apple/wine "brandy" the other night, guessing at dilution strength without an alcoholometer. I was impressed. Honestly I expected it to not be too great as my straight apple brandy from last fall is still needing more time... but this was a little older if I recall, and respectable. Given my love of meads, I'm sure I'll do a pure mead distillation one of these days. Also been thinking of trying fortified meads down the way.

Cheers!
DetroitDIY