This Tastes Good! Don't even know what to call it...

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

YankeeShiner
Novice

This Tastes Good! Don't even know what to call it...

Post by YankeeShiner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:42 pm

I fermented this one for two weeks, giving the bucket a good shake every night. The last night I left it in my garage, its freezing where I live.

The end result was awesome!!! Please try, let me know what you think.

5 gallons of spring water
10 lbs sugar
32 oz honey ($7 at Walmart, not bad)
6 oz tomato paste
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
10 old smashed up bananas
21g of Red Star bakers yeast

Brought 2 gallons of water to a good simmer, added to bucket, dumped the sugar and mixed until dissolved. Added the other 3 gallons of water, added bananas, paste, lemon juice and mixed. Let it cool to 90 degrees and pitched yeast. Waited until the yeast foamed and stirred it all together. I held the temperature strip on the bucket at 78 - 80F during ferment. It came out at 150 proof using a copper pot. Tails dropped down to 110-130 proof and I'm saving to run through my next batch.

Friends and I drank chilled from the fridge, neat. It's really good. Compliments all around!

Thanks for all the info on the site. I'm getting some real fun ideas.

rad14701
Master Distiller

Re: This Tastes Good! Don't even know what to call it...

Post by rad14701 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Not sure what you think the honey will do other than potentially slow fermentation... It could be omitted because all it does, aside from possibly slowing fermentation, is add some additional fermentable sugar... Really don't think you need the tomato paste either if you use enough bananas...

Is this really anything more than another Hail Mary recipe...??? Just being honest here... Sometimes it takes a bit of a reality check...

What does it taste like...??? Honey...??? Bananas...??? Tomatoes...??? Probably none of those...

StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm glad you did some experiments and found something YOU really like. Because in the end thats what its all about right?

Keep it up and keep learning. Its an awesome journey!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.

YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Why honey? Because I wanted to try it. I was just having fun, playing around with different ingredients. No, it doesn't taste like honey, bananas, or tomatoes but its real smooth, smells good, and tastes awesome. I have a 32 oz. jar with a big junk of pineapple in it. I'm going to wait about a month and open that up.

rad14701
Master Distiller

Post by rad14701 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:42 pm

So, is this a recipe you are "developing" and need assistance with, or are you merely telling us what you've made...??? Just curious as to whether this would be better suited for the "What'd ya'll make today?" topic... This forum is more for the development of a new recipe that you want others to try and help refine in an effort to get it accepted into the "Tried and True Recipe" forum...

YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:46 pm

rad14701 wrote:So, is this a recipe you are "developing" and need assistance with, or are you merely telling us what you've made... Just curious as to whether this would be better suited for the "What'd ya'll make today?" topic... This forum is more for the development of a new recipe that you want others to try and help refine in an effort to get it accepted into the "Tried and True Recipe" forum...
It's a work in progress. Yeah, just playing around with different ideas.

thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Im gonna have to disagree with Rad (first time ever). I've experimented a lot with honey and, while it can be difficult to ferment, it does present certain flavor profiles that I find agreeable. I use significantly more honey than this recipe but I don't think we should totally write off using honey in ferments. I think this could be an excellent recipe with a few tweaks.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers

YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:20 pm

thatguy1313 wrote:Im gonna have to disagree with Rad (first time ever). I've experimented a lot with honey and, while it can be difficult to ferment, it does present certain flavor profiles that I find agreeable. I use significantly more honey than this recipe but I don't think we should totally write off using honey in ferments. I think this could be an excellent recipe with a few tweaks.
I'm thinking more bananas, no paste, more honey, less sugar, more yeast or a different kind of yeast like Champagne. Suggestions?

rager
Distiller

Post by rager » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:03 pm

if this is going to be a once in a while kind of ferment and you don't mind spending the money on a yeast more suited for a ferment like this , I hear lavin ec 1118 or something close to that is supposed to be a great yeast. although other wine yeast would work well. beautiful thing about bakers is its cheep. and if your gonna make this a lot bakers could be the answer. although you can save the old yeast if you choose to go a different route with yeast and harvest it for the next ferment.

can you get DAP or diamoinum phosphate (sp) its a yeast nutrient . works well with sugar washes. also vitamin b pills work well to. look up the yeast bomb in pugirums rum in the TnT section for more info

cheers

rr

thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:53 am

I can't advise on bananas as I have never used them and honey varies greatly from region to region, but I've been using about 1.5 gal honey to 5 gal water. Honey is the only fermentable here. Yeast bomb similar to pugis and champagne yeast.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers

cb_j
Swill Maker

Post by cb_j » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:24 pm

YankeeShiner wrote:No, it doesn't taste like honey, bananas, or tomatoes but its real smooth, smells good, and tastes awesome.
So what DO you smell? What DO you taste?

YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:31 pm

cb_j wrote:
YankeeShiner wrote:No, it doesn't taste like honey, bananas, or tomatoes but its real smooth, smells good, and tastes awesome.
So what DO you smell? What DO you taste?
I taste liquor! :ebiggrin: I'm just playing around with different ideas, having fun.