Possible way to do Deathwish brew?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

arkansas
Bootlegger

Possible way to do Deathwish brew?

Post by arkansas »

Guy's, I am considering this Deathwish wheat germ recipe, but am wondering if i could put my 16 ozs. of wheat germ in about 2 gals. of water along with the lemon and boil for the hour and half. Then add the sugar and remaining water? The reason for this is I can't be where I usually would work with my "BOP" I love that one "big old pot". :D The missus just don't understand my 10 gal. "BOP" sitting on her "PLS" pretty little stove. I will never understand women, I guess.
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Perhaps that would work fine, but you will miss out on the citric acid inverting the sucrose to make a faster and better ferment. Maybe boil the wheat germ for the required time in as much water as feasable, then the citric acid and sugar for 15 min. for inversion? Best bet is to get a 40$ turkey fryer and a propane tank, and go to town on your deck or driveway. Cooking wheat germ cereal for a month.

Pintoshine and now myself filter out the grains before fermenting. I have had several bowls of the cooked wheat germ and enjoyed it a lot. Chickens got the rest. Maple syrup really set it off.

Then you can also steam clams, fry turkeys, chickens, huge pots of stews and soups and chile. And the PLS will have a happy break.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

but you will miss out on the citric acid inverting the sucrose to make a faster and better ferment
Thank you MtnWalker2 I had not thought it through that far. I have the cooker all ready, just can't be where I can sit with for 1 1/2 hours atm. Perhaps time will lend itself to me soon, I am looking foreward to this recipt as it sounds very interesting.
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

HA! Unless I miss my guess, you will be watching the sale adds to find wheat germ on sale.

I found that if I first bring the water to a boil, not haveing to watch it close at all- a digital thermometer with alarm is a help, Then I turn off the heat and add everything, stirring till all the sugar disolves. First time I didn't turn off the heat and the sugar scorched almost immediately befor I could stir it all up. Then bring it back to a boil with occasional stirring. Adjust to just a nice simmer after the innitial violant boil, and you can just leave it go for the 90 minutes. No need to stir or bother with it.
>habit" Aristotle
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

mtnwalker2 wrote:HA! Unless I miss my guess, you will be watching the sale adds to find wheat germ on sale.
You are most likely correct, Sir. The little missus had to work today and left me in charge of cleaning up the kitchen. Isn't it funny how things work out? Got everything boiled down and in the fermenter, just waiting to see if I get that explosion many have talked about. :?:
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Sounds like you have it all going good. Don't do like I did and take pintoshines advice and taste the beer. You won't have anything left to distill. I'me a Guiness type, and for uncarbonated beer, this is tops.

Take you out a stein of the first batch to try. NO, NO, you can distill the rest, and make more brew.

Enjoy!
>habit" Aristotle
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

:D Will try a small drink of the wash when it is ready to see what yall are talking about. I do have a question about when it comes time to distill, there seems to be some that say strain, and some that just put it in. I am heating with gas. Is there a standard?
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I just use a racking cane with a scrubber stuffed in the end, I can't see any value in putting the wheatgerm in the boiler.......you run the risk of burning it to the sides, making cleanup a nightmare.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Watch out for foaming when you run it! Heat it up slow.The first time I ran some,it foamed up and puked.
arkansas
Bootlegger

Post by arkansas »

Thank you guys, I don't think puking will be a problem this time as 5 gals. in a 15 gal. keg should be no problem. At least that is what I am tell self.