Am I nuts?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BigWoods
Novice

Am I nuts?

Post by BigWoods »

So this is going to be my third year running the still. Thinking about this year's recipe. Great success with NCHooch's Carolina Bourbon last year. However, I find dealing with the corn to be a PITA. So I'm thinking about doing a rye this year. Here's my question. Has anyone ever heard of or done a wheated rye? No corn, no barley, just rye and wheat. Just thinking of something different. Thoughts?
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Am I nuts?

Post by jb-texshine »

Try it...as long as you like it its good. As long as you please yourself its a success!
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

From my single experiance with rye, and a lot of reading about it, be prepared for a slimey pot of goooooo.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

Jedneck is right, if you don't use αlpha-amylase or a decent amount of malt-flour as a starch-thinner you will end up with a thick glue that is quite easy to burn down.

Also, wheat (and oat) foams like half pint of shampoo that's been secretly poured in a main square fountain in the middle of a drunken night. So some anti-foam agent is quite useful when stripping the mash made of those grains.

I soon found out that cooking whole :shock: or broken corn are not within the range of my patience, and they are not effective half-baked, so I use flours to reduce the time spent with stirring the mash. Using αlpha and mixing the flour in the correct temperature (120-130F) of neutral pH water are essential.