molasses vodka

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Coug95man2
Novice

Re: molasses vodka

Post by Coug95man2 »

Rastus wrote:as i wrote last night i was vexed with a slow starting ferment. nearly 48 hours from when i started it... but this morning by golly, its fired up and has a thick foamy cap and the furnace is starting to roar... kicking into molasses warp drive ... beam me up Mr Scott!!! :lol: :lol:
Love this thread. The great thing, I've been running a similar Rum/Vodka recipe for a while. Very nice to see other's perspectives! The fermenting/distilling isn't too different but my generic bill is below. I've messed with ratio's a bit but not much.

1 gallon of baking Molasses (not strapping… massive difference)
6lb of brown sugar (yes, I can taste the difference between white)
Yeast (I've used Generic Red Star Active, Rum Turbo, Vodka Turbo and DADY and believe it or not, the Red Star is my favorite)
Mix it in with 12 gallons of 100 degree F water and by the time everything is stirred up and dissolved, it's at a proper temp. for pitching.
Pitch the yeast at roughly 85 F (dependent on the yeast).

The slowest fermenting I've ever had was just a bit over 4 days. The norm for me has been 3 days. I think I had some dead yeast about a week ago and it took a while for the colony to kick in. Added more and it started immediately.

Yields roughly 6 gallons of finish (didn't do a stripping run, just one spirit), added the following after:

vanilla bean
cinnamon stick
All Spice
Orange Peel
Clove
Peppercorn
a dash of nutmeg
a dash of ginger (This is easy to cut out, in my opinion)

Soak it all with some toasted oak chips for about 2 weeks. I sit it in front of the fireplace, even in the summer, for a day. Heat it up good and then let it cool the rest of the time. If during the winter, I put it in front of the fire during the day, away from the fire during the night. That speeds it up considerably. When the chips all drop to the bottom, you're done. I've let it sit longer and it tastes better but when the oak chips sink to the bottom, that's the minimum. (Obviously please take safety seriously here. It's to warm the likker up, not start a fire! Watch the distance!)

After that filter it all and you have some Rum that slowly melts in your mouth. It's truly a shame to mix it with Coke.
"Time flies when your having Rum"
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

put a batch down in the big fermenter the other day, its bubbling away nicely, and one of the more nicer smelling ferments i've done

the waiting game begins
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

Drunk-N-Smurf wrote:Rum is any spirit made with sugar cane as its main ingredient.

This includes but is not limited to
Sugar cane
Sugar cane juice,
Refined cane sugar (but not beet sugar, most sugar made in Canada is beet sugar, unless it specifically says cane sugar)
Molasses (sugar cane juice after most of the sugar has been cooked out of it)
Brown sugar (which is white sugar with a bit of molasses I believe) (as long as it's made from cane sugar)
Sugar in the raw (unrefined sugar?)
Icing sugar (as long as its made from cane sugar)
Our white sugar in Canada is actually not Beet Sugar. It is Cane Sugar from Cuba. However Sugar in the Good Ol' U s of A is usually made from either Sorgum and or Beets because they still seem to have a problem with the Castro Brothers and the fact that they chased the American's sorry arses over to Florida.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

thanks for pointing that out FranklinNewhart

It doesnt matter where the sugar is from, we are using the molasses for the flavour.

I did notice on the ferment, I had to add Some DAP (diammonium phosphate, Nitrogen nutrient) to the ferment as it was stalling, that seems to have fixed it.

The distilling of it was easy, i Made cuts on my boka at 95.6 whole w3ay through, heads smelt very sweet and tasted nice (well, as nice as heads can taste)

After the final spirit run, I collected, I usually don't blend and take purely hearts, but I couldn't resist, I blended some hearts with some mid-late heads.

It smelt like a very basic Rum, tasted nice, with a bit of a bite (abit less than normal vodka, but noticeable)

I think this would go well on oak and am thinking, I may start doing some smaller ferments with backseat, and attempt to make a good rum from it.

Time is patience, and patience is time.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

FranklinNewhart wrote:
Drunk-N-Smurf wrote:Rum is any spirit made with sugar cane as its main ingredient.

This includes but is not limited to
Sugar cane
Sugar cane juice,
Refined cane sugar (but not beet sugar, most sugar made in Canada is beet sugar, unless it specifically says cane sugar)
Molasses (sugar cane juice after most of the sugar has been cooked out of it)
Brown sugar (which is white sugar with a bit of molasses I believe) (as long as it's made from cane sugar)
Sugar in the raw (unrefined sugar?)
Icing sugar (as long as its made from cane sugar)
Our white sugar in Canada is actually not Beet Sugar. It is Cane Sugar from Cuba. However Sugar in the Good Ol' U s of A is usually made from either Sorgum and or Beets because they still seem to have a problem with the Castro Brothers and the fact that they chased the American's sorry arses over to Florida.
Don't know where you are getting your info but we have no problem getting pure cane sugar here.
We are also the tenth largest grower/producer of cane sugar.
Cuba doesn't even make the list.
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/top- ... tries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
FranklinNewhart
Novice

Post by FranklinNewhart »

Coug95man2 wrote:
Rastus wrote: After that filter it all and you have some Rum that slowly melts in your mouth. It's truly a shame to mix it with Coke.
Then try it with a mug of Java. Goes down good in cold weather sitting in front of the fire. Or just try it neat. Neat is always good.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

this recipie is all i ran last year after 1 run of some rye bread whiskey of Odin's design.

it has been very good and a few of my batches stalled bad ... i think maybe the PH was getting out of control from the large amount of backwash i was adding.... every single time, 9 rounds in all. i have been very happy with it....

one thing i noticed, i think due to my over generous cuts, going too deep in the tails perhaps, i found it tasted good warm but on ice i would catch some funk. maybe from the stressed yeast during ph stall... just thinking out loud.

i havent run anything this year yet since last spring, i have several jars from different generations of this recipe, so i will see if the Funk has diminished. if so i am golden if not i am thinking of rolling it back into a run of new molasses vodka.

i have been storing in half gallon glass jars, at mostly 89% ABV. so we'll see how these older runs proove up

been a long time since i posted and glad to see some life on this old thread i have really enjoyed the simplicity of this one.

Regards all!!!!
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

I've just started a batch using about 10% dunder for starters

Once again I have noticed the molasses seems to be low in Nitrogen so adding some DAP or any nitrogen suppliment should keep it roaring.

I've been cheeky and adding alot more heads to my final cuts than usual, you can definatly smell the molasses coming through as a very light rum (5kg molasses in 200l ain't going to give you much flavour) hangovers have been light, will see how we go after a few generations of dnder through but will definatly be watching the PH on future generations.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

pounsfos wrote:I've just started a batch using about 10% dunder for starters

Once again I have noticed the molasses seems to be low in Nitrogen so adding some DAP or any nitrogen suppliment should keep it roaring.

I've been cheeky and adding alot more heads to my final cuts than usual, you can definatly smell the molasses coming through as a very light rum (5kg molasses in 200l ain't going to give you much flavour) hangovers have been light, will see how we go after a few generations of dnder through but will definatly be watching the PH on future generations.
That's almost exactly the proportions I use for my "bacardi(ish)" - Single run on a Pot with tight cuts and feints added back into next run, Hearts come out close to 60% it's a good approximation. - I have to admit, sometimes I do drink the "Heads" separately with a 50-50 mix diet pepsi and diet lemonde as a mixer.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

[quoteThat's almost exactly the proportions I use for my "bacardi(ish)" - Single run on a Pot with tight cuts and feints added back into next run, Hearts come out close to 60% it's a good approximation. - I have to admit, sometimes I do drink the "Heads" separately with a 50-50 mix diet pepsi and diet lemonde as a mixer.[/quote]

really?, I Have had alot of requests for bicardi, so was going to do some 25L batches and up the molasses to 2.5kgs 10% of size of wash
thought that would give me the good flavour i want

A little off topic, but I haven't really found a good bicardi recipe, any leads or suggestions, or what has others done?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

As I recall, Bacardi is aged on wood then has the color filtered out. I'll have a go at a lot of things, even some I don't like myself, but this one sounds like too much trouble for this turkey.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

pounsfos wrote:[quoteThat's almost exactly the proportions I use for my "bacardi(ish)" - Single run on a Pot with tight cuts and feints added back into next run, Hearts come out close to 60% it's a good approximation. - I have to admit, sometimes I do drink the "Heads" separately with a 50-50 mix diet pepsi and diet lemonde as a mixer.
really?, I Have had alot of requests for bicardi, so was going to do some 25L batches and up the molasses to 2.5kgs 10% of size of wash

A little off topic, but I haven't really found a good bicardi recipe, any leads or suggestions, or what has others done?[/quote]

Try this :

http://ww1.homedistiller.org/forum/view ... 11&t=63933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

pounsfos wrote:
Pikey wrote:That's almost exactly the proportions I use for my "bacardi(ish)" - Single run on a Pot with tight cuts and feints added back into next run, Hearts come out close to 60% it's a good approximation. - I have to admit, sometimes I do drink the "Heads" separately with a 50-50 mix diet pepsi and diet lemonde as a mixer.

A little off topic, but I haven't really found a good bicardi recipe, any leads or suggestions, or what has others done?
Try this :

http://ww1.homedistiller.org/forum/view ... 11&t=63933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

I'm still running this recipe.

I can't edit my first post, so I just wanted to add that Adding some DAP or any nitrogen suppliment, definitly helps things move.

Going to be doing some backseats this year, looking forward to see what I can get.
Rastus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Rastus »

hey there we must be on the same wave length... i will be starting up again mid may... wifey and the kids are going on a long vacation while i stay home and slave away to support their trip... but i will have a chance to fire up the old flute and run a supply up so i can float on for another good long time again :D

this is definitely the recipie i will be hitting, and yes DAP is very useful especially when i was using a lot of back set...
She was just a moonshiner,
But he loved her Still
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

pounsfos wrote:
Pikey wrote:That's almost exactly the proportions I use for my "bacardi(ish)" - Single run on a Pot with tight cuts and feints added back into next run, Hearts come out close to 60% it's a good approximation. - I have to admit, sometimes I do drink the "Heads" separately with a 50-50 mix diet pepsi and diet lemonde as a mixer.

Apparently my "Bacardi-ish" has been archived or whatever - I've re-done it - Try this.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=69923
Edmonton
Novice

Post by Edmonton »

Coug95man2 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:16 pm
Rastus wrote:as i wrote last night i was vexed with a slow starting ferment. nearly 48 hours from when i started it... but this morning by golly, its fired up and has a thick foamy cap and the furnace is starting to roar... kicking into molasses warp drive ... beam me up Mr Scott!!! :lol: :lol:
Love this thread. The great thing, I've been running a similar Rum/Vodka recipe for a while. Very nice to see other's perspectives! The fermenting/distilling isn't too different but my generic bill is below. I've messed with ratio's a bit but not much.

1 gallon of baking Molasses (not strapping… massive difference)
6lb of brown sugar (yes, I can taste the difference between white)
Yeast (I've used Generic Red Star Active, Rum Turbo, Vodka Turbo and DADY and believe it or not, the Red Star is my favorite)
Mix it in with 12 gallons of 100 degree F water and by the time everything is stirred up and dissolved, it's at a proper temp. for pitching.
Pitch the yeast at roughly 85 F (dependent on the yeast).

The slowest fermenting I've ever had was just a bit over 4 days. The norm for me has been 3 days. I think I had some dead yeast about a week ago and it took a while for the colony to kick in. Added more and it started immediately.

Yields roughly 6 gallons of finish (didn't do a stripping run, just one spirit), added the following after:

vanilla bean
cinnamon stick
All Spice
Orange Peel
Clove
Peppercorn
a dash of nutmeg
a dash of ginger (This is easy to cut out, in my opinion)

Soak it all with some toasted oak chips for about 2 weeks. I sit it in front of the fireplace, even in the summer, for a day. Heat it up good and then let it cool the rest of the time. If during the winter, I put it in front of the fire during the day, away from the fire during the night. That speeds it up considerably. When the chips all drop to the bottom, you're done. I've let it sit longer and it tastes better but when the oak chips sink to the bottom, that's the minimum. (Obviously please take safety seriously here. It's to warm the likker up, not start a fire! Watch the distance!)

After that filter it all and you have some Rum that slowly melts in your mouth. It's truly a shame to mix it with Coke.
What percentage did your run come out at?
:::Heads Hearts & Tails:::