Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by CoogeeBoy »

stmaus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:12 pm Yes, maybe the fact that there is relatively little activity on this thread (and fewer posts) counts against it. But that is only because the recipe is clear and simple, and it really works and produces a great product.
Well my criticism is it is too popular and we cant get the Wheat Bran from Woolies!!!!
:D
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:24 pm Well my criticism is it is too popular and we cant get the Wheat Bran from Woolies!!!!
You shouldn't have exported so much to NZ. I can get it here.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

NZChris wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:03 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:24 pm Well my criticism is it is too popular and we cant get the Wheat Bran from Woolies!!!!
You shouldn't have exported so much to NZ. I can get it here.
No problem, we grow rice, and I'm using rice bran from the mill down the village... :lol:
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
"In moonshine there is Rebeldom"
Garouda
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I suspect any bran will do. I don't particularly like the flavor of wheat in fermented products, distilled or not, so my experiment with wheat bran only used a fraction of the bran that Teddy used. It fermented well and distilled well, but I see there is still plenty of it in the cellar, so that's a good indication that I make other products that I prefer to use.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NZChris wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 pm I suspect any bran will do. I don't particularly like the flavor of wheat in fermented products, distilled or not, so my experiment with wheat bran only used a fraction of the bran that Teddy used. It fermented well and distilled well, but I see there is still plenty of it in the cellar, so that's a good indication that I make other products that I prefer to use.
I did use oat bran a couple of times, was all I could get. Worked ok

My thoughts were the bran took the edge of that "sugar wash" finish that I have read and heard talked about. My experiment with an AG neutral is to see what difference I can detect in my gin.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

The bran main function is to provide minerals and B vitamins as well as a support where yeast can hook on...
I don't know however how many vitamins remain after simmering the bran...
"In wine there is Wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there are bacteria."
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

The bran's main purpose is some nutrient but also wheaten flavour. The Multivitamin takes care of the vitamin requirements
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I did 1 pot distillation and 1 reflux distillation, it is very nice, but it has a distinct smell of wheat do you do a second reflux with this recipe ?
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

artooks wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:29 pm Hi,

I did 1 pot distillation and 1 reflux distillation, it is very nice, but it has a distinct smell of wheat do you do a second reflux with this recipe ?
From what I have read, a second reflux may improve your product and it may remove some of the flavours if that is what you want.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

This method is more of a wheat vodka than a neutral, so if you don't like the wheat, it might not be a good choice for you. I do a version with an eighth of the bran and it still has some wheat flavor after the reflux run.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

NZChris wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:08 pm

This method is more of a wheat vodka than a neutral, so if you don't like the wheat, it might not be a good choice for you. I do a version with an eighth of the bran and it still has some wheat flavor after the reflux run.
Thanks NZChris, the reason that I asked this question is because I compared it with other commercial wheat vodka's I do not know why they call them "wheat vodka" since there is actually not any flavor left from it, so I wondered whether I should run it twice in reflux, but that will further take away the wheat flavor, I like wheat but not too strong maybe next time I will keep the amount lower to see if that will make a difference.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you need to run any wash through a pot still and then twice through a reflux still to make it usable, you have a problem with the wash or the still, or are being greedy with your cuts.

If it's only the intensity of the wheat flavor that you don't like, blend it with your finest neutral.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

NZChris wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:45 pm If you need to run any wash through a pot still and then twice through a reflux still to make it usable, you have a problem with the wash or the still, or are being greedy with your cuts.

If it's only the intensity of the wheat flavor that you don't like, blend it with your finest neutral.
Hi,

No I do not have any problem either with the wash or the still, what I was reffering is that most of the vodka’s that I tried is almost tasteless, so just wondering if I should run it a second time,
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

artooks wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:19 pm No I do not have any problem either with the wash or the still, what I was reffering is that most of the vodka’s that I tried is almost tasteless, so just wondering if I should run it a second time,
Only you and your drinking buddies can answer that question. If the level in the bottle in your drinks cabinet is still high after a year, re-distill it. If you have refilled it several times, don't fiddle with it.
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

This may answer your question, I have a Gilbey's Vodka bottle in front of me, and it says three times distilled...
It's not a top Vodka, but they say 3 times distilled...
It's not a top Vodka, but they say 3 times distilled...
I followed that Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka great recipe, but using rice bran from the mill down the village instead of wheat bran, my still is a Ø 3" VM, the final product is really neutral, it's also a matter of cuts. I made three 69-litre batches (69=3x23, basic recipe), stripping run for each batch, then one spirit run in my VM reflux still.
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
Garouda
Swill Maker

Post by Garouda »

NZChris wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:48 pm but I see there is still plenty of it in the cellar, so that's a good indication that I make other products that I prefer to use.
I'm not really a Vodka fan either, but I wanted a reliable recipe to get a basic neutral for my Gin and my Pastis...
Benjamin Franklin
Garouda
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Garouda wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:28 pm

This may answer your question, I have a Gilbey's Vodka bottle in front of me, and it says three times distilled... vodka.png
I followed that Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka great recipe, but using rice bran from the mill down the village instead of wheat bran, my still is a Ø 3" VM, the final product is really neutral, it's also a matter of cuts. I made three 69-litre batches (69=3x23, basic recipe), stripping run for each batch, then one spirit run in my VM reflux still.
Well All producers claim many things but in reality that could differ I have a crystal head vodka which claims 7 times distilled, this could be a marketing stunt, or they use many plates and count each plate 1 distillation :) But when I smell it nothing whatsoever probably they also use carbon filter I guess.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

My standard routine is to strip, then run through a flute with 4 bubble plates and a packed section. I guess this means 6 times distilled. However I do not carbon filter and this produces the best result still giving a wheaten character/flavour for which this recipe was designed

artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Teddysad wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:27 am My standard routine is to strip, then run through a flute with 4 bubble plates and a packed section. I guess this means 6 times distilled. However I do not carbon filter and this produces the best result still giving a wheaten character/flavour for which this recipe was designed
Thanks Teddysad,

I have a CCVM and first I pot stilled and refluxed the overall result is very good, just a little bit more wheat flavor for my taste, one question though, do you use distilled water for dilution or filtered tap water ?
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I use filtered tap water for the mash and proofing down , however your local water composition may affect this. Mine is pretty good with no chlorine. If the wheat flavour is too strong for you cut back the wheat bran. However it is the inherent character it adds which makes it so much better that say a bland TPW

artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Teddysad wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:39 am I use filtered tap water for the mash and proofing down , however your local water composition may affect this. Mine is pretty good with no chlorine. If the wheat flavour is too strong for you cut back the wheat bran. However it is the inherent character it adds which makes it so much better that say a bland TPW
Hi Teddy,

I do not like TPW it has a weird taste, I also did 2 bottles of gin from your recipe and turned out really well, the only thing for me is to maybe lower the wheat or try your second version with kibbled rye. thanks.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Ok guys, here goes. I am not a big fan of baker's yeast as I find it adds a strange yeasty flavor, at least in the sugarheads I have tried so far, so I used EC-1118. I also always invert my sugar. I found my PH came out low (good mountain water but from municipal source, ph 7) so I adjusted ph up to 5.5 from about 4 with baking soda. Otherwise I followed Ted's recopy almost exactly.

Oxygenate 5 gallons tap water 24h with air stone and fish pump (partly to get chlorine out, partly to help yeast multiply).

Invert 4kg sugar by adding 1.5l boiled filtered water, adding 1 TBS citric acid and heating to and holding at 105 - 110c for 30 min, then crash to 60c before adding to fermenter.

Boil 2.5l filtered water and add wheat germ, bring back to boil then simmer 30 min. Crash to 60c before adding to fermenter. (did this at same time as sugar).

Put 2.5 gallons oxygenated water in fermenter, add DAP, Epsom, and 1 Jamison daily multivitamin (I had been using B50 in similar recipes but this one calls for MV). Add invert sugar and wheat germ, top up to approx 5 - 5.5 gallon. Check PH, for me it was a bit low, 3.85 so stir in baking soda until it reached 5.5. Check that temp is below 30c, check SG, right around 1.070. Pitch 2 packs EC-1118 and put in sanitized fish tank heater set to 26c. I use a paper towel to bung the vent hole with the cord going through.

Because I subbed the 50g of baker's yeast for 2 packs of EC-1118, I suspect I will get a slightly slower ferment, but without the strange yeasty taste I detect in both birdwatchers and Shadey's sugar shine. I found that in BW there is still a funny taste from the tp when I sub, but in Shadey's the yeast sub cleans that up. I am looking for more of a real Vodka taste, and I am hoping TFFV will be just the ticket. I took a little personal liberty with this recipe to hopefully get a cleaner taste while sacrificing some of the fermenting speed. I will post back in a week or so when this has fermented out, and again when I have run it. I am hopeful this will provide the vodka flavor profile I have been looking for, I will let you guys know.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

jakeb
is the citric necessary for sugar inversion? (never done inversion)
i think that 1 tbsp of citric acid would lower the PH quite a lot, then you are adding more chemicals to raise the PH.
seems counter productive to me.
i put 2 x 25l FFV on yesterday and i tested the PH before pitching yeast as usual.
both were PH of 7, so just 1/2 tsp of citric acid dropped the PH to 6.
my way of thinking is to test the PH and only adjust if necessary, not blindly add it because it's in the recipe.
TBH i've had to put 1/4-1/2 tsp in all the 25L FFVs i've done.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

howie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 pm jakeb
i think that 1 tbsp of citric acid would lower the PH quite a lot, then you are adding more chemicals to raise the PH.
i put 2 x 25l FFV on yesterday and i tested the PH before pitching yeast as usual.
my way of thinking is to test the PH and only adjust if necessary, not blindly add it because it's in the recipe.
Though it is possible to invert sugar with just heat, adding citric acid speeds up the process and ensures a more complete conversion from sucrose to glucose and fructose. I used more citric acid than the receipy called for in order to ensure a complete conversion of the sugars. The 2 simple sugars are easier for the yeat to consume, thus theoretically the yeast will be less stressed and produce a cleaner flavour. There has been much debate on this topic. In my case I have actually always inverted and have not tried table sugar as is at all. I don't find the process of inverting all that difficult and decided in the beginning after a lot of reading to just go ahead and invert all my sugars.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Dear JakeB,

I have been using Baker's Yeast with great success, if you are not getting the results that you are looking for, maybe it could be that you are changing the recipe in some ways to what you think it is. correct, please try the recipe as it is and see if you like it, using wine yeast will increase the duration which for me is unnecessary, I did this recipe and it went dry in 3 days, I did not experience any yeast smell at all, the only thing for me is that the wheat flavor was very intense to my liking, I also did inverting sugar in the past, and now I find it an unnecessary and time consuming step the reason I say this is because there was not much difference in the end result, what type of still you have ? do you make a stripping run with a pot still then do reflux ? if so what ABV are you getting out of it, I find that if you could get near azeo than. there should not be any yeasty taste, so in my belief Baker's Yeast is a really good fast fermenting yeast for distillation.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

artooks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm Dear JakeB,

I have been using Baker's Yeast with great success, if you are not getting the results that you are looking for, maybe it could be that you are changing the recipe in some ways to what you think it is. correct, please try the recipe as it is and see if you like it, using wine yeast will increase the duration which for me is unnecessary, I did this recipe and it went dry in 3 days, I did not experience any yeast smell at all, the only thing for me is that the wheat flavor was very intense to my liking, I also did inverting sugar in the past, and now I find it an unnecessary and time consuming step the reason I say this is because there was not much difference in the end result, what type of still you have ? do you make a stripping run with a pot still then do reflux ? if so what ABV are you getting out of it, I find that if you could get near azeo than. there should not be any yeasty taste, so in my belief Baker's Yeast is a really good fast fermenting yeast for distillation.
Hi artooks, thanks for the insight. I switched from baker's yeast to champaign yeast based on advise from someone working in a brewers supply store. In addition to increasing time, I will admit it also increased the cost, to the benefit of the brewers supply shop I might add. I did birdwatchers several times as well as Shadey's sugar shine as per the recepoes exactly as posted and found I get a yeasty taste (not so much smell) that I was just not happy with. I explained the issue to the fellow at the brewers supply and he suggested EC-1118. When I tried that, the result was much cleaner in both cases, so I have switched to champaign yeast any time baker's yeast is called for recently. As far as inverting sugars, like I said I have not tried regular table sugar at all. I have a couple project batches on the go but will eventually try 2 batches side by side identical except sugars to see for myself how much difference there really is. I have been interested in distilling all my adult life, and reading about it since before there was an internet, but I am brand new at actually running a still. I purchased the dreaded T500 a little less than a year ago. Despite what I read about it on this site, it is convenient for me with some space limitations and a good way (in my opinion) to get started. I find that it produces pretty good results in reflux as it is intended when you disregard most of the instructions that come with it and run a good clean wash making cuts by cooling output temp and offtake speed (also separating, airing and checking cuts before blending). I have not even tried any turbos or carbon polishing based on what I have read. In reflux I find I get consistent results after the first 500ml or so of heads (100ml very slow of foreshots, then 300 - 400 ml until the acetone and fire of heads fades all the way out), I get 93% ABV pretty much all the same then it switches to tails pretty abruptly. I also use it as a pot still by removing packing and using offtake speed not cooling output temp to gage my adjustments. I have so far only done stripping runs then spirit runs when using it in pot still mode to make whiskey. In reflux mode (for neutral spirits) I have been getting 93% ABV through the run, a little higher as the heads come off, it dips lower just after I get to tails. I'm not sure I am that much of a believer in stripping runs when running reflux since you can always adjust your reflux ratio to obtain additional distillations. I will eventually try that in side by side same bathes to test that for myself though. I suspect the main difference will be in efficiency. For all of my reflux runs so far, the result has been very clean as far as heads or firey bite goes, but with baker's yeast, there has been some yeasty flavor left that I am not fond of.

You mentioned the wheat flavour being too strong, I think that at least the way I have been doing things so far, I will get a fair bit of wheat coming through, hopefully I like it, if not, I guess I could try blending with a Shadey's run to reduce it, or adjust the amount of wheat bran to my taste. The problem I found with Shadey's (after swapping yeast) was a lack of character. For bw I find the tp adds something that is similar to the yeast taste I don't like even when I swap out the yeast. When I searched the mash bill of commercial vodkas, I found a lot of the better ones use grain, many of them wheat. That is what led me to try this recipe, hopefully it works out. Thank you for your comments, the sharing of knowledge is what makes this site great.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

JakeB wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:54 pm
artooks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:47 pm Dear JakeB,

Hi artooks, thanks for the insight. I switched from baker's yeast to champaign yeast based on advise from someone working in a brewers supply store. In addition to increasing time, I will admit it also increased the cost, to the benefit of the brewers supply shop I might add. I did birdwatchers several times as well as Shadey's sugar shine as per the recepoes exactly as posted and found I get a yeasty taste (not so much smell) that I was just not happy with. I explained the issue to the fellow at the brewers supply and he suggested EC-1118. When I tried that, the result was much cleaner in both cases, so I have switched to champaign yeast any time baker's yeast is called for recently. As far as inverting sugars, like I said I have not tried regular table sugar at all. I have a couple project batches on the go but will eventually try 2 batches side by side identical except sugars to see for myself how much difference there really is. I have been interested in distilling all my adult life, and reading about it since before there was an internet, but I am brand new at actually running a still. I purchased the dreaded T500 a little less than a year ago. Despite what I read about it on this site, it is convenient for me with some space limitations and a good way (in my opinion) to get started. I find that it produces pretty good results in reflux as it is intended when you disregard most of the instructions that come with it and run a good clean wash making cuts by cooling output temp and offtake speed (also separating, airing and checking cuts before blending). I have not even tried any turbos or carbon polishing based on what I have read. In reflux I find I get consistent results after the first 500ml or so of heads (100ml very slow of foreshots, then 300 - 400 ml until the acetone and fire of heads fades all the way out), I get 93% ABV pretty much all the same then it switches to tails pretty abruptly. I also use it as a pot still by removing packing and using offtake speed not cooling output temp to gage my adjustments. I have so far only done stripping runs then spirit runs when using it in pot still mode to make whiskey. In reflux mode (for neutral spirits) I have been getting 93% ABV through the run, a little higher as the heads come off, it dips lower just after I get to tails. I'm not sure I am that much of a believer in stripping runs when running reflux since you can always adjust your reflux ratio to obtain additional distillations. I will eventually try that in side by side same bathes to test that for myself though. I suspect the main difference will be in efficiency. For all of my reflux runs so far, the result has been very clean as far as heads or firey bite goes, but with baker's yeast, there has been some yeasty flavor left that I am not fond of.

You mentioned the wheat flavour being too strong, I think that at least the way I have been doing things so far, I will get a fair bit of wheat coming through, hopefully I like it, if not, I guess I could try blending with a Shadey's run to reduce it, or adjust the amount of wheat bran to my taste. The problem I found with Shadey's (after swapping yeast) was a lack of character. For bw I find the tp adds something that is similar to the yeast taste I don't like even when I swap out the yeast. When I searched the mash bill of commercial vodkas, I found a lot of the better ones use grain, many of them wheat. That is what led me to try this recipe, hopefully it works out. Thank you for your comments, the sharing of knowledge is what makes this site great.
Dear JakoB I sent you a PM, since these topics are out of the scope of this thread.
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

JakeB wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm
howie wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:54 pm jakeb
Though it is possible to invert sugar with just heat, adding citric acid speeds up the process and ensures a more complete conversion from sucrose to glucose and fructose. I used more citric acid than the receipy called for in order to ensure a complete conversion of the sugars. The 2 simple sugars are easier for the yeat to consume, thus theoretically the yeast will be less stressed and produce a cleaner flavour. There has been much debate on this topic. In my case I have actually always inverted and have not tried table sugar as is at all. I don't find the process of inverting all that difficult and decided in the beginning after a lot of reading to just go ahead and invert all my sugars.
fair enough.
had a quick scan of inverting sugars and that's looks like another few hours of reading :)
one day i will try a side by side with bakers & ec-1118.
while i was having a quick look, i stumbled on a couple of methods for inverting sugar and the quantities of citric acid used.
1/2 tsp citric acid for 3.5kg of sugar
1gm of citric acid per kg of sugar
your using 1 TBS (=3 tsps) for 4kg of sugar.
JakeB
Novice

Post by JakeB »

Hi Howie,

I guess I did overshoot the citric acid by the looks of it. Interestingly enough, I got another PM about the sugars and the yeast. I am going to give baker's yeast another shot. Though I did find the EC-1118 made much more neutral results for me, it does cost more and take longer to finish out. It would be nice to reduce costs and reliance on the brew shop. The debate about the sugar seems to be weather the difference between invert which takes time and citric acid is worth the difference in the result. I have yet to do a side by side comparison of that. I am looking to work my way towards the best possible results in any case. A bit more time or reasonable investment in supplies is ok with me, if there is a difference in results. I have done quite a lot of reading, but am fairly new to actually distilling. Right now I am doing it in my kitchen. It drives my wife crazy. I have so much to try, but only so much space to work with at the moment.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

I find that allowing the finished wash to settle for a few days, racked or not, will prevent a lot of the yeasty flavours from coming through. This applies to pretty much all sugar washes and not just TFFV. Just make sure you pass through as little yeast as possible to the still.

The brew shop salesman did his job correctly by persuading you to buy a more expensive product. Now it's up to you to decide whether you find the extra cost justified. If it tastes better to you that's all that matters.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.