Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka

Post by still_stirrin »

ismbardbrunel123 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm ...my p.h.is around 5.7....have added oyster shell...
Why did you add calcium carbonate (oyster shell) to a wash that was already high (at pH 5.7)?

It is not needed and potentially could cause the wash to turn caustic (too high of pH). Oyster shell is for raising the pH of an acidic wash that has a pH that is crashing (< pH 3.5).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

Post by ismbardbrunel123 »

still_stirrin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:16 pm
ismbardbrunel123 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm ...my p.h.is around 5.7....have added oyster shell...
Why did you add calcium carbonate (oyster shell) to a wash that was already high (at pH 5.7)?

It is not needed and potentially could cause the wash to turn caustic (too high of pH). Oyster shell is for raising the pH of an acidic wash that has a pH that is crashing (< pH 3.5).
ss
Indeed, why the hell did i do that ? too much whisky last night, only excuse i have.... :oops: Just been upstairs to check and remove the said shells, my p.h. is now at 4.5 ? Would rising the temp have helped things?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Is it fermenting?

Fermentation will produce acids during the process. And just a few hours in a nearly neutral environment, the shells would NOT contribute much neutralizing effects. So, I’m not surprised your pH has dropped to 4.5. That’s a good indication of a healthy start. If it continues down to 4.0, or below, then add the shells back in. Otherwise, relax...it’s fine.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

Yes, it's dropped from about from 5 to 4ish over night,....thanks for your taking the time to reply, everything you have said to me makes sense, on both threads.....
Your an excellent teacher....Thank you...the only thing now is your stuck with me for life...... :thumbup:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If any sugar wash of mine has a pH around 4.5 the next day, I add shells. Not grit, whole shells.
ismbardbrunel123
Novice

NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:06 am If any sugar wash of mine has a pH around 4.5 the next day, I add shells. Not grit, whole shells.
Yeah Chris, i have 5 mashes running at the moment, getting a bit ahead of myself...i bought 15 medium oyster shells last week, there is hardly anything left of them...just had delivered 25k of crushed oyster shells ...you may call them grit..? i don't see a problem with them, unless you know different ? thanks for your experienced help..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Crushed behaves differently because of the larger surface area making it a lot easier to make a mistake.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

NZChris wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:56 pm Crushed behaves differently because of the larger surface area making it a lot easier to make a mistake.
Chris.. would mind clarifying the statement.. maybe in your mind it adds up, but not in mind..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Sorry, I should have said the ‘ratio of surface area to volume’, Mars. I hope that clears it up for you.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

ismbardbrunel123 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:57 pm My TFFV is waaay behind schedule, thank you for your post, my p.h.is around 5.7....have added oyster shell,
If I am not wrong, 5.7 is not a high acid reading at all and you don't need oyster shell, not that it will have a negative impact I expect.
Oyster shells are used to bring the acid down, which means increasing the ph.

There is a fair bit on the site here about adding oyster shell at the beginning of the ferment to prevent a ph crash and that ph typically stabilises after a 24-48 hours.

If I see that reference again I will post a link.

Good luck
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:23 pm If I am not wrong, 5.7 is not a high acid reading at all and you don't need oyster shell, not that it will have a negative impact I expect.
Oyster shells are used to bring the acid down, which means increasing the ph.
For a wash, an acidic environment of Ph 4 is the best.. lower and the yeast are affected.. and higher is somewhat ok, but not the best went come to stripping the wash.. when a high Ph is at the end of the ferment, it is best to lower the acidic level to a 4.. if it's not lower the wash will foam/puke much more than normal, plus the wash will not clear as well..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Slant
Novice

Post by Slant »

Hi.
On the first page in "formula" is "...250g wheat bran..." can I replece it with 250g of wheat flakes or crush wheat malt? Or it's the same ? Thank You for answer. :)
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Slant wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 am Hi.
On the first page in "formula" is "...250g wheat bran..." can I replece it with 250g of wheat flakes or crush wheat malt? Or it's the same ? Thank You for answer. :)
Not sure if you are using a regional terminology that represents the same thing but wheat flakes sounds suspiciously like some type of breakfast cereal and I saw mention on this thread to not use it. Crush wheat malt? I don't know. I would spring for the $1.5CDN to do it with wheat bran atleast at first.
8)
-- Rrmuf
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Slant wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 am Hi.
not sure, but wheat bran is the hard outer layer of the wheat kernel, which is 'quote' jam-packed with various nutrients and fiber.(esp vit b)
it's in the breakfast cereal section in my local woolies, just sold as 'wheat bran'.
looks like fine breadcrumbs TBH.
Slant
Novice

Post by Slant »

Thank You for all answers. Soon i will go to my shop to check if they have it . cheers ;)
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

I went with the bran deliberately. As said it has nutrients and fibre but not the kernel or germ. The germ adds oils which changes the subtle flavours. That little wheat grain is a rather complex beastie and the bran is what helps the germ to sprout if left. In addition I found it available very inexpensely.
Thanks to all for the positive comments.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Teddysad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:12 pm ........ In addition I found it available very inexpensely.
Well here is a negative one!

I went to both Woolworths and Coles last night and there was no Wheat Bran and I blame you Teddy and your damn good TTFV!

I reckon it is sold out because everyone is making TTFV!!!!!!

(I settled for oat bran instead btw, my notes on that is that oat bran doesn't settle as quickly or as clear as Wheat Bran just FYI)

:D
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:12 pm
Teddysad wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:12 pm ........ In addition I found it available very inexpensely.
I went to both Woolworths and Coles last night and there was no Wheat Bran and I blame you Teddy and your damn good TTFV!
i don't understand why you can't get it, i bet some people are probably hoarding it :D
woolies have it in plastic bags, usually hidden on their bottom shelf, hard to spot sometimes.
the packets look like this....
wheat bran.jpg
oops lol
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

howie wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:32 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:12 pm
i don't understand why you can't get it, i bet some people are probably hoarding it :D
woolies have it in plastic bags, usually hidden on their bottom shelf, hard to spot sometimes.
the packets look like this....
wheat bran.jpg
oops lol
That's my point, they are hoarding it to make TTFV!!!! :D

Its you!!!!!!! :D
pommie
Novice

Post by pommie »

Should TTFV be TFFV? Or is it Ted's Terrifically Fast Vodka?

Pommie.
pommie
Novice

Post by pommie »

Got one of these fermenting now. It's 30L and started 3 days ago. As I'm in Australia, I had to adjust the recipe slightly. No DAP so replaced with two caps of hydroponic nutrient from bunnings. Boiled the bran and added 50g yeast as nutrient - yes, yeast boiled so dead. Added 50g anhydrous potassium carbonate (pottery supplies) and 20g citric acid to bring starting PH to 6.6 and hoping it'll act as a PH buffer. 5.5kg sugar gave a S.G. of 1.07. Added 6 oyster shells in a sock as it's the time of year to put stuff in socks! Added 50g more yeast to get it all going. Yup, went off like a rocket. Not bubbles but burps, if you say burp as fast as you can, that's what it sounds like. Anyway, today, 0.99 S.G. but still gassing so will leave until tomorrow before stilling it. BTW, why do people leave it to settle? Doesn't the act of boiling it mix it all up again? Or do they siphon and leave the dregs behind?

Will still it tomorrow (reflux) even though those little guys that have been working so hard will get killed in the process.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Pommie.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

pommie wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:07 am Got one of these fermenting now. It's 30L and started 3 days ago. As I'm in Australia, I had to adjust the recipe slightly. No DAP so replaced with two caps of hydroponic nutrient from bunnings. Boiled the bran and added 50g yeast as nutrient - yes, yeast boiled so dead. Added 50g anhydrous potassium carbonate (pottery supplies) and 20g citric acid to bring starting PH to 6.6 and hoping it'll act as a PH buffer. 5.5kg sugar gave a S.G. of 1.07. Added 6 oyster shells in a sock as it's the time of year to put stuff in socks! Added 50g more yeast to get it all going. Yup, went off like a rocket. Not bubbles but burps, if you say burp as fast as you can, that's what it sounds like. Anyway, today, 0.99 S.G. but still gassing so will leave until tomorrow before stilling it. BTW, why do people leave it to settle? Doesn't the act of boiling it mix it all up again? Or do they siphon and leave the dregs behind?

Will still it tomorrow (reflux) even though those little guys that have been working so hard will get killed in the process.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Pommie.
Hi Pommie,
I ordered some DAP online, I think I got 1kg for buggar all (told the wife it was mexican marching powder)
If I may, your ph seems high at 6.6, I am usually kicking off at around 5.2-5.5 and that is with a half teaspoon of citric acid.
your oyster shells are the ph buffer from what I understand and 6 oyster shells is a lot, I use 1 sometimes 2, just saying as I can't always get my hands on them. You should be able to take them out after 24-48 hours also (from what I read)
Other than that, it sounds like you nailed it!

Finally, where did you get your wheat bran, woolworths and coles have been sold out for weeks now!
pommie
Novice

Post by pommie »

I've got wheat bran from both. The 6.6 start PH is a little high but the yeast doesn't seem to mind and it drops to 4.6 in a day. Currently 4.4 and I'll retrieve the sock in the morning. I figure it'll only dissolve what's needed to cancel acidity. I'll have 10% in the morning so 3L of pure EToH plus the heads and tails from the last run - about 2L of 80%. Should get 2.5L of 96%. Happy with that.

BTW, my girlfriend insisted the sock had to be new!!! I figured EToH kills everything.

Pommie.
P.S. Wheat bran in cooking isle in Woolies and breakfast cereal in Coles.
Last edited by pommie on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
pommie
Novice

Post by pommie »

P.S. I add the potassium carbonate and citric acid in an attempt to make a PH buffer solution. Weak salt etc. plus weak acid.

Pommie.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

[quote=pommie post_id=7644864 time=1608883635 why do people leave it to settle? Doesn't the act of boiling it mix it all up again? Or do they siphon and leave the dregs behind?
Pommie.
by racking you syphon off the liquid and degas it to allow most of the still suspended solids fall out of suspension before siphoning the cleared Liquid into the boiler, leaving the dregs behind. This gives a cleaner distillation

Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

pommie wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:02 am

BTW, my girlfriend insisted the sock had to be new!!!
Depending on your recreational habits, a used sock could add a totally new character to the wash and result

Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

[quote=pommie post_id=7644864 time=1608883635 why do people leave it to settle? Doesn't the act of boiling it mix it all up again? Or do they siphon and leave the dregs behind?
Pommie.
by racking you symphony off the liquid and degas it as well as letting any suspended solids fall out of suspension before siphoning the cleared Liquid into the boiler, leaving the dregs behind. This gives a cleaner distillation

The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And if you leave the dregs in a (covered) glass container you can (visually),
after resting for some time, pour some more nice clear stuff off THOSE dregs...

Geoff
The Baker
pommie
Novice

Post by pommie »

Found out today that boiling 32L in a 35L boiler leads to foaming and crap coming over. Ended up turning it into a stripping run and starting a new wash. Should be complete on Wednesday and will strip that also and then do a spirit run. You live and learn. Had to strip down the column and wash all the packing. Half my packing is Stainless washing "blobs" that went through the dishwasher and the other half is copper mesh that came with the still. The stainless appears perfect, the copper discoloured. I'm thinking more stainless is the way to go. Opinions?

Thanks all,

Pommie.
pommie
Novice

Post by pommie »

BTW, ended up using a girlfriend sock, and, as she's perfect, no problem!!!