Ginger Liquour

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Ginger Liquour

Post by Jimbo »

rumBum2 wrote:Thanks for posting, on the to do list for today. :) What are your thoughts on using 90%+ neutral?
Sure use whatever neutral ya got. I like this drink at about 60 proof, 30%. Makes a nice sipper with ice. Just adjust the water/hooch amount. Higher proof neutral = more water to boil which is good. I ran out of neutral making this stuff, so next batch will be with vodka from the store :oops: , thats gonna be tough cause there wont be much water for the boil.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I am trying this recipe but am adding a little twist. I have some 80% that I am macerating some of the ginger in to flavor the liquor also before I make the rest of the recipe. Very similar to lemoncello. Going to do the cooking tomorrow so I will let you know how it comes out.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Love me some ginger roots.
rumBum2
Swill Maker

Post by rumBum2 »

Last night had a few more then usual... back on it tonight! This stuff reminds me of crystallized ginger, love that stuff rite out of the bag! Think i will try a batch with just crystallized and see how that goes... cheers
The truth is like salt. Men want to taste a little, but too much makes everyone sick.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Jimbo wrote: I ran out of neutral making this stuff, so next batch will be with vodka from the store .
Why not give URRV a stab for neutral, I know you're not a neutral man but you may have to become one to feed this newfound ginger obsession :)
Don't be a dick
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Jimbo have you considered adding a few plates an a 2 ft packed section on top of Mrs. Copper Corene? It be cheap to do. You mentioned that you liked Titos but I bet you wouldn't after you made your own.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

there is a large empty section that could be filled with mesh, and adding a couple plates would be nice. I wonder if 4 plates + packing would give me a nice neutrally wheat vodka? 50 lb sack of wheat is a hell of a lot cheaper than a case and half of vodka.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Jimbo wrote:there is a large empty section that could be filled with mesh, and adding a couple plates would be nice. I wonder if 4 plates + packing would give me a nice neutrally wheat vodka? 50 lb sack of wheat is a hell of a lot cheaper than a case and half of vodka.
Absolutely! The amount of flavor in your vodka from the ingredients used would all depend on how you ran it. With a modular setup there are few limitations.

Halfbaked wrote: You mentioned that you liked Titos but I bet you wouldn't after you made your own.
:thumbup:

A TC spool from glacier tanks packed with lava rock would be a small investment, and make fine vodka above any existing goodies. Plus the spool can act as a gin basket when you dump the rocks out. A copper TC spool would be easy to build as well.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=44119 I remember reading a scoria experiment on Empty's 4 in 5 plate 2ft section but can not find it. When I find it I will put it on here for your reading enjoyment. I remember him saying that the plates separate the likker and the packed column polishes it.

Re: Lava Rock information

Postby emptyglass » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:10 am

I use a 24" long packed section on top of a 5 plate 4" flute, packed with about 18" of 32mm/1.25" large porous red lava rock, with about 3" of 12mm/0.5" fine stuff on top, leaving a 3" gap between the top of the rock and the bottom of the reflux condenser.

Provides great results and a nice clean neutral.

I've used it with pretty much the same results without the fine stuff on top. It will pull azeotrope easily and fast. If theres channeling it is not noticeable in the product or results, at least in 4" diameter anyway.

I'm surprised that some guys think the packed section should be before/under the plates in a plated column. Theres a good deal of theory to explain why it wont work, and a few guys with modular set ups that couldn't resist trying it can back up the theory. The scrubbing and cleaning properties of the rock work well in a purer alc mix, not so well on wash.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Jimbo wrote:there is a large empty section that could be filled with mesh, and adding a couple plates would be nice. I wonder if 4 plates + packing would give me a nice neutrally wheat vodka? 50 lb sack of wheat is a hell of a lot cheaper than a case and half of vodka.
All you have to do is ask. I bet I could figure out how to add a couple more plates to that column. Or I could take some 4 inch stainless and weld ferrules to it and put a mesh screen on the bottom for packing and separation from the plates. Something like this.
P2230005.JPG
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Just did up a batch of this, thought it would be a good go between until my Whiskey gets of age.
Unfortunately it's not really my cup of tea.
a bit sweet of the get go, tripling the amount of lemon made it better in my opinion.
Even at that it's not a sipper to me, need to cut it with some 7up for me to enjoy it properly.

Still nothing ventured nothing gained
Don't be a dick
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Try it with ginger ale.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

SO.......I get up yesterday and the damn fridge/freezer has stopped working, check it out and the back cooling fan has lost all it's fins. Ice build-up. So order the part and fixed it today running like a charm..... and what does this have to do with this post, you may ask? In the back of the veggie draw...TWO POUNDS of fresh ginger I didn't know I had. So no need to guess what I'm doing tomorrow! ! !
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I had this with some tonic water, not bad at all.
Still prefer Whiskey though but this will help with lettign the Whiskey come of age
Don't be a dick
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I added some to a foo foo drink for wifey. Was Sprite, Rum, Some Strawberry PD and Ginger Liquor. Damn fine drink, she loved it. The ginger cut through the candy sweetness of the sprite and PD and added a nice twist.

I still like this straight up on ice. Tasty spicy drink. Of course its no sub for whiskey, not intended to be.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Jimbo, I bet our liquor cabinets are very similar as we must have wives with similar tastes :sarcasm:
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Jimbo, thanks for the recipe. Just made a half sized test. I think it might help the bug in my head and chest aswell. Going to drain my mug and craw back in bed.
This should be in tried and true, very tasty!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Happy you enjoy it. And thanks for the vote. Get well!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

I made up a gallon and half of this last night. Same recipe just cut back the sugar to 2/3 cup per quart. A little less sweet is nice, just depends how sweet you like your cordials I guess.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Here's a real nice recipe that uses this ginger hooch. Very tasty drink.

Fresh pressed apple cider, ginger liquor and vodka. I think I'll call it ... "Whooahhh The Carpet Matches the Drapes". Ok its a little long for a drink name. Open to
suggestions here. Its damn fine, recommend any of ya's who tried my ginger liquor recipe give it a try. How about "Eve was a Ginger",.... you know, who bit the apple.... :crazy: OK, I quit.

kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I like the name "Eve was a ginger" Made some more last night, left out the little bit of honey I put in last two times, I think it's better as original. This does grow on you. in no time flat.
Anode Effect
Novice

Post by Anode Effect »

I just made a batch of this, damn fine drink! I'll be making more. I had some ginger macerating for months just waiting on something, I found it.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Made up a gallon batch, tried it at 30% but found it more to my taste up at 40%. There is only one flaw here... it was so good that my friends drank the entire batch in a single sitting :lol:

Next time around it will probably have to be a 5 gallon batch :D

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Jimbo »

Haha thanks guys. Stuff goes down fast doesn't it.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Indeed it does! Thanks again for sharing it with us.

One note I meant to add, re the ginger. I did two test runs, one I pealed and grated the ginger, the second I just washes and grated with skin on. Honestly I couldn't taste any difference, except that it was faster to make 8)

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I finally made it...man is it good.... tried it first down in a distillery in Portland Oregon and thought, hmmm I could make this...finally...finally got around to make it...I'll be going to the well often with this one!!!
Attachments
ssIMG_2573.jpg
ssIMG_2573.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Yum.
Finally got around to making some of this, got some on ice right now. Damn tasty.
I might have overdone the ginger. I love ginger and the heat it brings, but this glass has a real bite! I like it just like this, on ice, but not sure I could share with too many people.
Bet this would be perfect for mixing though.
As the ice melts this gets really good, could be very addicting.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I like ginger too. I'm still waiting on my flour ferment to finish.mthen I'm making vodka (ag no sugar) this will be the first thing I make with-it.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Re: Ginger Liquour/ Moscow Mule Recipe

Post by Jimbo »

Just made 2 gallons of this. 40 proof this time, starting with 87% neutral. :)

Here's a recipe fer y'alls. This stuff makes a great Moscow Mule. Its got enough ginger spank that they turn out great with 7-up, dont even need ginger beer. I like em with a kick so I do 50/50 with 7 up, squeeze half a lime in there and stuff a mint sprig in. bam done.
copperlover1
Swill Maker

Post by copperlover1 »

I was so intrigued by this post/recepie I just had to try it. I have never had or tried ginger liquor. Never had a Moscow mule. So I had no idea what to expect. All I can say is wow and thanks jimbo. Looking forward to sharing with friends and mixing it with all sorts of stuff.
Attachments
image.jpeg