Help!

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

YankeeShiner
Novice

Help!

Post by YankeeShiner » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 pm

I never disclosed this but I am a business man and met a contact at a local distillers and I need help. From my past posts you can conclude I've played around a bit but stumbled onto a wash this week and ran it and a friend of mine who works for a legit distiller enjoyed. I have a meeting with the master distiller next week... We're negotiating a large trial run, totally legit! Please, help a brother out here... I made this mash in my spare bucket just playing around.

My favor to all of you who have been so kind to me is to rip this recipe apart! I want criticism! First let me say that, no, I don't want to use molasses. I know I'll take s### about it but I just don't want to deal with the sulfur, the mess, etc. So here goes...

5 gallons spring water
8 lbs, brown sugar
5 lbs white sugar
juice of 1 lemon - acid
8 smashed up bananas, no peel
2 oz. bread yeast

Like I said, it was such a hit...even unaged that a local distiller liked it! I cut it with distilled water down to 80 proof but will age it as is with the right recipe.

Is there anything I can or should do different? Use the peels, change up the white/brown sugar ratios, more/less yeast? I need some experienced guys to help me out here. Give me some math here! Can this be improved? All I ask is that you please give your advice in US measurements - gallons, US pounds, ounces, etc. I'm doing this 5 US gallons at a time, for now. Make your suggestions accordingly, please!

I guess the old story is right, its not what you know its who you know...

Thanks!

thecroweater
Master Distiller

Re: Help!

Post by thecroweater » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:04 pm

switch the brown sugar for muscovado and the white sugar for raw sugar, for ten times the flavour
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin

StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Yankee Im not the man to help you but I sure wish you luck on getting that big batch ran. Think the master distiller will let you make cuts in the big batch the way you do with your hobby setup? Will probably make all the difference in the world.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.

YankeeShiner
Novice

Post by YankeeShiner » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:13 pm

No dice... For me to enter into a partner agreement would, at the very least, cost $15,000 for the distillers and there is a one year back log in NY. And,the permit has to be renewed every three years!

I spoke with an attorney about other options, wholesaler permits, distributor licences, etc. and it made my head spin. I just wanted to run some rum and market it just to have fun! I was thinking a few cases. But, even the local distillery only does runs of a minimum of 5,000 gallons with partner agreements. WTF am I going to do with about 500 gallons of rum?! I was thinking 100 gallons at the most!

Anyway, thanks America. I'm a criminal...