my mother's walnut liquor recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

blind drunk
retired

my mother's walnut liquor recipe

Post by blind drunk »

My mother used to make this walnut liquor and so did her mother. I will make it this spring when the walnut tree in my neighborhood gives its fruit.

24 green walnuts (not sure if she split them)
1 liter of double proof alcohol
250g sugar
250g water
4 quinine leaves (these add the characteristic flavour of her liquor)
1 cinnamon stick
8 cloves
1 whole nutmeg

macerate walnuts in alcohol for 40 days in the sun
add sugar and water
filter
add the spices and quinine leaves
macerate for 20 more days
strain

She used to age it forever and even had one 25 year bottle break before we could drink it. The aroma that came off of that broken bottle was amazing.

Cheers
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Re: my mother's walnut liquor recipe

Post by EuroStiller »

I make that too. My family is from Italy. I was born there. Ours is called Nocino and it is made from unripe green walnuts, still in the husk. Tradition states the walnuts must be picked on St. Johns Day, the 24th of June, at nightfall, and the liqueur prepared that night. Here is one of the may ways we make it. And you are 100% correct, the longer it ages in the bottles, the better it gets!

Nocino, fatto il notte della Festa di San Giovanni

700g Pure Grain Alcohol (95-96%)
38 Unripe Walnuts, still in their husks, as green as possible (Always an odd nuber!!)
8 Cloves, bruised in a mortar and pestle
4 g Cinnamon, ground coarse
Zest of 6 Lemons, yellow part only
1 Kg Pure Cane Sugar
600 ml Distilled Water

Carefully cut the walnuts into quarters and place in a large mouth container big enough to hold them and still be covered by the alcohol. Note: the walnuts will exude a clear liquid, which will turn brown very quickly and stain anything! So cut the walnuts on a washable cutting board and wear kitchen gloves or just deal with stained fingers for a few days! Cover with the alcohol and seal the container. The following day, add the spices and lemon zest, and then reseal the container. Shake the container at least 3 times a day from June 24th until August 3rd. On the 3rd of August prepare a syrup from the sugar and water over low heat, do not allow it to boil. When the sugar is dissolved, cool the syrup completely and set it aside. Filter the walnut mixture through a double layer of muslin moistened with alcohol. Combine the infused spirit with the cooled syrup in a sterilized bottle. Allow the liqueur to rest for 3 months at the least. Filter again and re-bottle. Seal bottles with corks and wax. If at all possible, save the liqueur for Christmas!

Buon Gusto!

EuroStiller- The Doctor
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

It is amazing that there was a link to a German language schnapps book posted on yahoo-Distillers group. This was the one recipe that jumped out at me. Seems the Germans make a simpler version but the execution is the same. It is only 2 months away and I am going to make some of this from my own black walnuts. There are several forums that appear in a google search that use the black walnuts. It has my curiosity more than than any recipe I have seen in a while.
I am interested in the Juglone anti-fungal aspect of it. I know that this is in the herbal medicine realm but it is fascinating.
Besides that I can not imagine that this has any nice flavor alt all. I hope I am surprised.
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller »

I did not mention anything about BLACK WALNUTS. Same Genus, different species.
This is meant to be made with Juglanas Regina!!

Go buy a bottle of the commercially made stuff and be surprised! Example below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocino" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

EuroStiller- The Doctor
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I know that it is commonly made with the English(Persian) walnut variety, but there are none available in my area. I found several threads that many have substituted Black Walnuts with little difference other than a more aromatic scent. An Italian fellow in Texas made his with green pecans. He said it was acceptable. It seems the oxidized juglone and tanins are the key ingredients and are shared by most varieties of Juglans. It will be an experiment.
I searched for a source of the Nocino available in the USA and it seems limited to the NYC or San Fransisco areas.
I'll continue searching.
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller »

Pecans, hmmmm. I have a friend with a pecan farm in southern IL. I think I need to give him a call, LOL!!

I have bought bottles on occasion. My MEGA MEGA liquor store used to stock it, but have not carried it for a while. There are many companies that make it. Now when I do have to buy a bottle in a hurry, I go to "Little Italy" area of the city and buy a bottle "sotto tavolino", because they don't have a liquor license. But I usually go home, Italy, once a year and bring back a ton of booze so it's never a problem. In all honesty, I like my home made one better!!

EuroStiller- The Doctor
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Hi Eurostiller, my heritage is Italian but i was born here. My parents used to make all sorts of liquors, mostly with flavour vials and store bought grain alcohol. June 24th is the day I couldn't remember, but now that you mentioned it ... My parents had a sealed 25 year old bottle that my mother dropped when she reached for it underneath the stairway closet. Her mother had given it to her that long ago. She hung on to it for that long. She said that the aroma was incredible and it filled the basement with its sweetness. The walnut tree down the road is a dud this year, unfortunately. Thanks for your recipe.

Hey Pintoshine funny you should bring up the medicinal aspects of the drink. As kids a shot of Nocino was the ultimate cure (and threat) for a tummy ache. It did one of two things - your tummy ache would go away after a shot or you'd puke everything up. Either case, cured. But the flavour of this drink is excellent, now that I'm grown up.
I do all my own stunts