Rye, I think?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

YankeeShiner
Novice

Rye, I think?

Post by YankeeShiner » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 am

I was just playing around with this one but couldn't believe the result. It was so damn good I put 3L of it into an aging barrel and its going to sit in my basement for a couple of years.

I put 5 lbs of rye in my smoker. I cold smoked the rye for five hours with hickory and apple wood. Then I ground it up in a food processor, not too much, just a little. I boiled two gallons of spring water and poured it into a bucket with 10 lbs. of sugar and mixed it all up until the sugar was dissolved. I added the rye and let that steep for about an hour. Then I poured in another three gallons of room temperature spring water. I added one ounce of bread yeast and let it do its thing.

As I poured the mash into the still I stopped short of the crushed rye and yeast that settled to the bottom and noticed I had a lot more room in the still. I made five gallons of mead this fall. I had a gallon of mead that I had fortified with a cup of corn likker. So, I threw it into the still. It's just a basic onion head pot still, nothing fancy. The mead is a melomel (fruit) type of mead that I made with oranges, raisins and figs.

The first test had it at just over 130 proof. It tasted amazing, a little bite, clean, and the smell was outstanding! I've never tasted anything like it.. I shut it down at 80 proof, mixed it all up and cut it all down to 90 proof. Final yield was 1.5 gallons. My buddies and I took care of the first quart and the compliments kept on coming. Drank with ginger ale it was outstanding.

I don't want to post this in tried and true recipes because I'm not sure if I stumbled onto something new and I have some questions. Can I call this rye? Has anyone ever heard of this before or does anyone have ideas I can use for next time? I have 3L aging in a barrel but I'm definitely trying this again.

sparky marky
Swill Maker

Re: Rye, I think?

Post by sparky marky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:36 pm

It doesn't have rye in it, but your description reminded me of this

http://www.balconesdistilling.com/rumble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

YankeeShiner
Novice

Re: Rye, I think?

Post by YankeeShiner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:31 am

sparky marky wrote:It doesn't have rye in it, but your description reminded me of this

http://www.balconesdistilling.com/rumble" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
You gotta love Texas!