Rice n malt whiskey

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Rice n malt whiskey

Post by jb-texshine »

Very mild and lightly sweet
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Well I stripped a bunch of rice corn and malt, going for the spirit run today!
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

It should make a nice lite whiskey for you.

Deo Vendice

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

jb-texshine wrote:It should make a nice lite whiskey for you.

Well it actually wasn't too light in flavor, was pleasantly surprised to find that it had quite a clean rich flavor. Made a really fantastic grain liquor, with just clean sweet warm flavor.

I used my stripping head for the whole thing which is just a 6" wide by 8" tall cylinder made of copper sheet with an 1 1/2" line out to my shotgun condenser. Runs fast, strips good and makes a really flavorful low proof product. I usually make my mash in multiple 12gal batches and strip one at a time then add the strips together for the spirit run. This time i added some of the previous strips in with the the next stripping run.

The take off was at about 75% and the corn really came through. There was a nice malt flavor in the middle of the corn field and a good amount of sweetness. The rice didn't really come through too much, it's there, but not too distinguishable. I would for sure use this recipe when I achieve my dream of making fine whiskey for a living. It would make a great new make to put away for a few years into barrels. I'm finding rice can be used as a valuable ingredient in a grain bill. Yeast loves it, doesn't add or take away too much, seems to just be an almost silent partner. I have noticed the backset seems a bit more acidic with rice.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Yeah,rice don't add much for sure. I think that's why Budweiser uses it in their beer. How light of a whiskey are you aiming for? Like ,Irish light or Canadian light?

Deo Vendice

aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I'm thinking Irish light, but it sort of has its own characteristics.

I just started a batch of 100% rice, using a dry ale yeast and at about 1.081. I am trying out a "pitch right" can of imperial yeast House 01. It's just a high tolerance durable liquid yeast, seems to be working well so far as the starter is about 12 hours old. I'm planning on using the my pot still and running in 2.5 to 3 times and making a nice easy drinking rain liquor
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Sounds like a good plan. Bet you get lots closer to what you are looking for.

Deo Vendice

Dusty_Barrel
Novice

Post by Dusty_Barrel »

aircarbonarc wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:55 pm I made my first rice based vodka mash, it was 20lbs of rice and 18lbs of a 71%wheat 29%Pilsner malt blend. I used EC1118 for yeast and it's been fermenting happily. I was then thinking if this turns out I may try making a lighter whiskey, one that is 25% rice and 75% malted barley/corn/rye/wheat. Do any commercial distilleries do this? And has anyone tried making a light rice whiskey? I would like to make something that's light, tasty and clean. I was thinking the neutralness of the rice would give a 10% rye in my grain bill a chance to come through.
I'm a commercial distiller using 70%sushi rice and 30% pilsner malt and M1 yeast.
Marshmellow marzapain hay lemon grass and its light in flavour. We have barrels aging in used american oak and re coopered french oak white wine barrels