Sweet feed recipe-

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Sweet feed recipe-

Post by Bavis54 »

Hi guys- lately I been working on working on a grain bill that uses sweet feed, along with some wheat and maybe oats. I have a sweet feed recipe from my father that uses sweet feed and sugar, buts after even several distillations it's quite rough, not very pleasant. I like the taste but was thinks maybe if I mixed in some wheat and maybe oats it would calm it down and leave that mild molasses taste of the sweet feed. I've got some brewing now, but wanted see if you guys here have ever worked on anything similar. Here's my latest grain bill- 3 lbs sweet feed, 2 lb white wheat malt, 1 lb distillers malt, 3 lbs sugar . I put sweet feed in tun, pour boiling water over feed, add sugar and stir. Once cooled to 150 I added wheat malt and distillers malt. I then insulated and waited to cool. Next morning I added yeast. Used 2 tbsp of red star bakers yeast. It's working off well, but if anyone has any experience or ideas with a similar recipe I'd love hear them.
semper fi
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Re: Sweet feed recipe-

Post by Bavis54 »

Sorry for typos- I am missing right thumb which makes hard to punch phone correctly
semper fi
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I worked with a baker who lost his thumb. A not uncommon cause of accident that is probably not well-known, it doesn't seem dangerous; holding a cleaning rag next to a spinning shaft...
What WAS unusual (and this would have been well before 1970) was that the surgeons replaced the thumb with a big toe!
Seemed to work okay but looked a bit odd.
Anyway, best from
Geoff
The Baker
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Thank you- I lost my thumb in a ied explosion when I was in service. Took it clean off, not a scratch on me anywhere else, nerve endings lost n tissue damage too great for any prosthetic or organic transfer. All n all was very lucky, n it did not hinder my shooting abilities.
semper fi
Tapeman
Novice

Post by Tapeman »

Sounds like you should have put something in there too break down the molasses. I've read about using tomato paste to break some chemical bonds in there and probably some extra yeast nutrient since yeast does not live on sugar alone.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

Well, I haven't made anything in about 4 years and never tried anything with malt. But, I made a lot of rum with black strap and sugar. Never had any off flavours like that. Sorry I can't help but mainly replying to thank you for your service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Sf is one of my favorites and I'll continue to make it as long as I'm stillin.
I've started making mine by fermenting out each of the ingredients. Corn oats and barley then a 5 gal batch of rum, I'll add 3 gals of each to my boiler and thumper and it's a very good whiskey.
I'll go a little lite on the moll wash as it will dominate the other flavors.
The grains should have enough nutes to not have to add any.
I do like me some sf.
Head over to the t&t and look up those recipes and come up with a plan, start out using the t&t first.