Whats Your Apple Pie ABV

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

svodysseus
Novice

Whats Your Apple Pie ABV

Post by svodysseus »

What do you aim for when you make your Apple Pie for ABV?

I aimed for 30% ABV on my first run of the stuff and people loved it! I am just curious to where other folks aim and if they have any particular reason why they aim for that ABV for a little extra information and thought when developing my next recipe and run of the stuff.
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Whats Your Apple Pie ABV

Post by yakattack »

I keep it between 10 and 15 percent. 10 to 12 and carb it. It's awesome carbed.

I keep it low because with using just neutral it goes down so easy so it's safer that way.

I also make a 40% version. Served as a chilled shot with a dollop of whipped cream. The ladies love it.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

30% seems about right in the ball park with what I do!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

yakattack wrote:I keep it between 10 and 15 percent. 10 to 12 and carb it. It's awesome carbed.

I keep it low because with using just neutral it goes down so easy so it's safer that way.

I also make a 40% version. Served as a chilled shot with a dollop of whipped cream. The ladies love it.
Hmm...and at that proof, it would be safe in my kegging system.....hmm. instead of cider, fresh apple pie on draft. You have my attention, sir. Now I need an apple pie of all apple pie for this fall to make a keg of it...would only need a 1/2 gallon of 96% neutral to make a keg of it :ebiggrin:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

I carp in a 2ltr pop bottle. Carb the apple cider mix, have pre measured amounts of neutral already in the bottles. Over carb the mix. Pour into bottles and cap and seal. Refrigerate for best results.

But yes keg it would be easy too. But I only have 15 gallon kegs. Don't have any 5 gallons yet. That's what I want tho.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

20% or 40 proof is what I aim for. enough alcohol to make it shelf stable.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'll usually take some 100 proof rum and make mine.
1 quart for my batch
1 whole granny smith apple (sliced)
8-10 shakes of apple pie spice
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 stick cinnamon

Combine all and shake the crap out of it to dissolve the dB sugar, sit in the refer for a week or drink same day.

Taste great cold or warm and gets better with time :thumbup:
I guess I'd have to think too hard to say exactly what the proof is but it's warm and fuzzy :thumbup:
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

Generally 40%, trick is making it smooth - but rough enough it's respected.
All my coworkers love it anyway.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Twenty to thirty%. Brown sugar rum at 130-140 proof as the base liquor. The best ive made so far i used the backset from 100% persimmon brandy to start the rum ferment. Made a very interesting rum and the rum made the apple pie out of this world.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

jb-texshine wrote:Twenty to thirty%. Brown sugar rum at 130-140 proof as the base liquor. The best ive made so far i used the backset from 100% persimmon brandy to start the rum ferment. Made a very interesting rum and the rum made the apple pie out of this world.
Jbt
YUMMMMM
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

I too usually shoot for 20-25 %. seems to be where it works the best. I do jar it up fairly warm so the lids seal down. seems to keep very well on the shelf
ez
Don't let your meat loaf.
Tinner22
Novice

Post by Tinner22 »

Mines about 27% let it age on granny smiths for long long long time. :D
Master Distiller
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

yakattack wrote:I carp in a 2ltr pop bottle. Carb the apple cider mix, have pre measured amounts of neutral already in the bottles. Over carb the mix. Pour into bottles and cap and seal. Refrigerate for best results.

But yes keg it would be easy too. But I only have 15 gallon kegs. Don't have any 5 gallons yet. That's what I want tho.
How do you carb it? This sounds interesting.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Yes how do you carb it!!!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I have recently added my carbed apple pie to my 3 tap keg system for the holidays. I would like to add my recipe here. It won't stay filled (the keg).

2 gallons of apple juice
2 gallons of apple cider
5 cloves
6 cinnamon sticks
Vanilla extract to taste (several tablespoons)

Put all the above in a large pot, bring near to boil, 185 f, to pasteurize.

Chill to room temp, using wort chiller is ideal.

Put into corny keg, add 2 new cinnamon sticks, and a gallon of 50% vodka/neutral. Force carb to 14 psi at 38 degrees. Somewhere between 10% (on paper) and 15 % (actual) ABV.

Pantry dropper aint got nothing on this. True story.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
CaptainCanuck
Novice

Post by CaptainCanuck »

I don't have the exact recipe in front of me, I'll add that later.

I generally try to stick to around 20-25% ABV. While it's smooth enough to drink at higher percentages, I have found that it gets consumed quickly either way. I decided to keep the lower ABV as a result.
“When you’re the author of your own fate, you don’t want to write a tragedy.”
― Chris Hadfield, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth
DSM Loki
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DSM Loki »

I make mine at 20-25 abv. Like Canuck said, it's perfectly enjoyable higher but things can get pretty sideways in a hurry.
svodysseus
Novice

Post by svodysseus »

Just thought I would give this thread a bump. After a good handful of AP batches and gallons and gallons consumed I have found that 20% or 40 Proof is what my family seems to really like, the ladies will often mix it with either club soda or some more apple juice depending on how they feel and the guys will drink it right over ice, that gives the ladies a 10-15% beverage and is still respectable at 40 proof for drinking with the fellas and nobody gets to hammered to fast. I have gone thru a ton of recipes on this site and morphed them into my own little recipe and its almost right where I want it but I am still fine tuning it, but I did have a friend up from florida recently and asked him if he wanted to try something I stumbled upon and poured him a drink on ice, he drank it and was blown away of how good it tasted and how it tasted like a actual slice of apple pie, I then told him that i made it from scratch and had been moonshing and developing the recipe and he said he thought this was very marketable and would sell like crazy, did I mention he is a marketing exec for a distributor? My answe to that was oh hell no, that would take all the fun out if it lol... So I think I am on a great path and when I finally feel like I got it down where I want it, I will share the recipe, I should be there by the end of the holiday season i would think :wave:
Tinner22
Novice

Post by Tinner22 »

svodysseus wrote:Just thought I would give this thread a bump. After a good handful of AP batches and gallons and gallons consumed I have found that 20% or 40 Proof is what my family seems to really like, the ladies will often mix it with either club soda or some more apple juice depending on how they feel and the guys will drink it right over ice, that gives the ladies a 10-15% beverage and is still respectable at 40 proof for drinking with the fellas and nobody gets to hammered to fast. I have gone thru a ton of recipes on this site and morphed them into my own little recipe and its almost right where I want it but I am still fine tuning it, but I did have a friend up from florida recently and asked him if he wanted to try something I stumbled upon and poured him a drink on ice, he drank it and was blown away of how good it tasted and how it tasted like a actual slice of apple pie, I then told him that i made it from scratch and had been moonshing and developing the recipe and he said he thought this was very marketable and would sell like crazy, did I mention he is a marketing exec for a distributor? My answe to that was oh hell no, that would take all the fun out if it lol... So I think I am on a great path and when I finally feel like I got it down where I want it, I will share the recipe, I should be there by the end of the holiday season i would think :wave:
I developed my own recipe also, lots of trial and error. I cut the sugar down and added some spices.
Master Distiller
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

After all the above pledged, as more as possible recipes are highly appreciated here.

And... it may sound amusing but some shiners in Russia do know the apple pie well. In my version, it's mostly a ladies' man so, it has about 10% ABV.

Brgds,
VV

har druckit för mycket
Tomb
Novice

Post by Tomb »

Any more than 20% and I would be killing people!

Found a simple method....

Add....
1/4 teaspoon Apple Pie spice
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
... to an almost full “beer bottle” of 93% and let sit for a few days (shaking a few times)

Slowly pour this into a large mason, leaving the spice sediment behind with....
1 litre pure apple juice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir until sugar disolved and put in fridge for a few more days, to drop sediment.

Pour the clear “juice” into three “pint” jars.

Share woth select people, top with thick cream.

T
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I sure saltys method, or a bastard version of it.
per quart/Liter
fill jar with cut up apples
add a table spoon of brown sugar a
a tablespoon of raisins
one cinnamon stick
fill up with 40-60 abv
take out cinnamon after a few days

Salty saiys to leave it for a month and strain it off, i never got so far, it's usually gone before a month and before it's strained off
Don't be a dick
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Swedish Pride wrote: fill jar with cut up apples
Wut part of apples is in use? How about peels, seed?

har druckit för mycket
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:I have recently added my carbed apple pie to my 3 tap keg system for the holidays. I would like to add my recipe here. It won't stay filled (the keg).

2 gallons of apple juice
2 gallons of apple cider
5 cloves
6 cinnamon sticks
Vanilla extract to taste (several tablespoons)

Put all the above in a large pot, bring near to boil, 185 f, to pasteurize.

Chill to room temp, using wort chiller is ideal.

Put into corny keg, add 2 new cinnamon sticks, and a gallon of 50% vodka/neutral. Force carb to 14 psi at 38 degrees. Somewhere between 10% (on paper) and 15 % (actual) ABV.

Pantry dropper aint got nothing on this. True story.
Carbing with carbing pills in mason jars could work
Soda stream makes a mess but carbing pills could be added to the jar,left a while then presto
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

image.jpeg
Made up 18%AbV (instead of my previous 6-7%). My queen liked it. Tomorrow's souvenirs will show if my colleagues share her opinion...

har druckit för mycket
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Kick-ass label
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Allmyexsliveinhell wrote:Kick-ass label
:roll: thanx / i've stolen the idea from the web... and the picture created by my youngster (he's 11 y.o.)

as per the bottle contents — this AbV needs either ice or some more apple or pear juice imo.

har druckit för mycket