Help I lost my recipe

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Buster
Novice

Help I lost my recipe

Post by Buster »

I found a recipe that was all grain using cracked corn and DME that sounded easy enough but I did not bookmark it I bought the ingredients but can't find the web site I saw the recipe on. :roll:
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help I lost my recipe

Post by Pikey »

Buster wrote:I found a recipe that was all grain using cracked corn and DME that sounded easy enough but I did not bookmark it I bought the ingredients but can't find the web site I saw the recipe on. :roll:
DME = Dried Malt Extract ? - The drying process will have denatured the enzymes we're looking for if heat was used. The Starch in your corn will not be converted properly. I'm no AG expert and will leave it to others to continue - but I think you may have had a lucky escape there !

[Edit - you can still use your ingredients to make a "sugar head" - but personally I'd split them - use the corn for a "Sour mash" (or get some real malt to combine it with) and use the DME according to the instructions to make beer - which you can then distil to make a "Malt whiskey" - Note that No hops should be used.]
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Buster wrote:I found a recipe that was all grain using cracked corn and DME that sounded easy enough but I did not bookmark it I bought the ingredients but can't find the web site I saw the recipe on. :roll:
HDGoogle search tool...it is like magic to help you look:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=65792
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=26617
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=30585

You really should learn how to use it. I've even put a hotlink to the "how to" in my signature line. Give it a look.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

still_stirrin wrote: You really should learn how to use it. I've even put a hotlink to the "how to" in my signature line. Give it a look.
ss
Thanks for providing your help ss. The HDG tool is indeed a huge aid but keep in mind that for new as well as inexperienced site users such as myself punching in the correct wording to use the search function effectively may be a hindrance for many simply because of their lack of "seat time" here. The computer has only the information it is given to work with a which point sometimes in frustration we new folks "reach out" to the experts .

Again thank you for your help to many of us.

Blarney Stoned
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Blarney Stoned wrote:...punching in the correct wording to use the search function effectively...
Try using Boolean expressions for the search text, like this: corn+DME+recipe after the HDGoogle search header {site:http://homedistiller.org/forum}. It'll search for those specific combinations of words.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

still_stirrin wrote:
Blarney Stoned wrote:...punching in the correct wording to use the search function effectively...
Try using Boolean expressions for the search text, like this: corn+DME+recipe after the HDGoogle search header {site:http://homedistiller.org/forum}. It'll search for those specific combinations of words.
ss
Which would require much higher computer savvy than I and possibly others possess.Been making shine for over 35 years but spent my life on a backhoe with almost zero computer exp. It's almost totally foreign to me. Not making excuses but merely telling like it is. HD is filled with information but can be a harsh environment for some.

Thank you for your reply. I will try to implement your suggestion in further searches.

Maybe a sticky or such for us poor souls in the cheap seats ?

BTW, I had to look up Boolean.

Bool·e·an
ˈbo͞olēən/Submit
adjective
denoting a system of algebraic notation used to represent logical propositions, especially in computing and electronics.

BS
Jeffp60
Novice

Post by Jeffp60 »

Blarney stoned ,i feel ya for sure. We need a tried and true for each topic. Corn mashing, flavoring,etc.
Damn near blind from reading not from foreshots