Another RUM thread

Anything to do with rum

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stillcrazymike
Novice

Re: Another RUM thread

Post by Stillcrazymike »

I will have the results of side by side comparisons between bread yeast and this RM yeast hopefully before christmas. Really looking foreword to it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Me too, I'm always looking into ways for better :thumbup:

As for now the bread yeast has been top class and with different experiments with temps after fermentation and the use of dunder in low wines I've come up with a special rum I can't believe I've made myself.

I'm always interested in ways to better any of my product especially my rum and I still (hopefully) have many more years to play with this wonderful hobby.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the results,

Shine0n
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

We made another wash the other day using the RM yeast. We used 7 gallons of backset from stripping run into 50 gallons of wash (we forgot the water was on).
Trying to keep detailed notes,The backset had a PH of 4.23 and overall wash had a PH of 5.1 The PH seems a little low to start, but we'll see where it finishes and if necessary,
bring it up next time with calcium hydroxide (pickling lime).
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

5.1 isn't bad at all, if you can have it ferment out quickly it shouldn't drop too low in a short time.
I've only had issues in the winter with slower ferments and ph dropping below 4 but pickling lime is the bees knees for a quick fix on low ph issues.

Have you a set amount for raising ph? Say per gal or 25g or 50 g?
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Finally did a spirit run. We used 8 of the buckets and had over 40 gallons at 40% and ran it through a 4" plated column as a pot still, 1 plate and a sight glass, (no water to deflag) then to the shotgun, then to a liebig.We prolly didn't need the liebig but why not have the extra cooling. It ran at 1.5 gallons an hour at 3000 watts . It was still a looong day. All aired out and strict cuts made, we got 11 gallons at 70 % or 14 gallons at 55% (barrel strength.) Over half way there for the 25 gallon barrel. We are going to need another 4 pails of molasses and be over the amount needed to fill the barrel. I know what everyone is getting for Christmas for the next 10 years..
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

frunobulax... are you going to the GB store in PA to pick that Molly up? I love that place. I picked up about 7 gallons from there a few months back to get my latest rum in the barrel too! I think by the gallon it was about $7.50 a gallon!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Yes, we're getting it from Golden Barrel. A 5 gallon pail is a little cheaper, $30.00
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's where I get my honey from, but the moll is from webstaurant.com because pa is a long ass drive for me.

I just ran another rum ferment yesterday and kept a special cut gallon for a special occasion in Sept.

Good luck in your journey, I've been looking about in the distance.
Flea
Novice

Post by Flea »

Is there going to be a long sea voyage planned after this project :D
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Yup! right down to Middlesex Co
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Flea wrote:Is there going to be a long sea voyage planned after this project :D
Aye!
Summertime put the project on hold, but we're back at it. This time we used a Brett. yeast, which should give it some extra funk and take the final gravity down a little lower.
Should be ready to run by the weekend.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Over a year later, we made our final wash for this yesterday. So far we have 15 gallons ready for the barrel, and after this wash is stripped, it's time the final long ass spirit run for the final 15.
We were short 4 pails of molasses from the original estimate, and ended up using the fancy molasses for the additional sugar, as Zapata pointed out early on.
I "tested" the stuff that is ready for the barrel yesterday, to make sure it was still good, and even white, it is awesome.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Nice!!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

We finally made the last spirit run Saturday! There is about 25ish gallons ready to be proofed and barreled, it tastes awesome as is. I'm sure there will be extra to be drunk white and put in jars on various
types of oak, and it only took 1 year 3 months. we'll let it air out and barrel it in a week or two.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Congrats! That's one hell of a journey. :clap:
Good luck with the aging, hope you can keep the angels at bay.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
WillieP
Novice

Post by WillieP »

frunobulax wrote:We finally made the last spirit run Saturday! There is about 25ish gallons ready to be proofed and barreled, it tastes awesome as is. I'm sure there will be extra to be drunk white and put in jars on various
types of oak, and it only took 1 year 3 months. we'll let it air out and barrel it in a week or two.
Glad to hear that you have reached your goal of filling the barrel!
And I wish you luck on the next goal...keeping out of it for the next year!!

May I ask the details of the barrel you are using?
Is it a once used, or new? Also wandering if it is toasted, or charred, or both.
I've read that there are a lot of ways to finish rum, just curious what direction you're shoot for.

Thanks,
WillieP
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

It is a once used Buckwheat Whiskey barrel, not sure of the toast level, but it should add another dimension to the rum.
And we're gonna try to stash it away in a garage where it's not so accessible to sample.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

Finally Barrelled this last week end, a year after being done. . The Buckwheat barrell leaked so bad it couldn't be salvaged, so we ended up using a once used 30 gallon rye barrell. At 57% it took every bit we had and filled it completely up.
That also freed up a few corny kegs, and an old 15 gallon Brewhemoth fermenter.
Hopefully it will be good for Christmas presents next year.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Oh man, I was hoping for a post where you emptied the barrel :roll:

Next year will be a great year for you guys :thumbup:
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pope »

That's the best part of filling one vessel, freeing up the others to be used again! I get lazy with my jars for final blending and end up with the bench being completely covered in labeled jars until I need more jars, then the hard work of blending begins. Then those corny kegs and carboys of low wines move into the still and you can ferment something new to fill them up again!
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope
rubelstrudel
Rumrunner

Post by rubelstrudel »

Now. Did you notice any difference between the yeasts used? Or is everything now blended into one barrel waiting for next christmas?
Last edited by rubelstrudel on Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always impatient. But learning.