potato vodka recipe, seeking comments

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

potato vodka recipe, seeking comments

Postby PBWsTrove » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm

I just made a mash for all potato vodka, it just started fermenting so I obviously haven't distilled it yet, but I'd love comments...

30 lbs potatos, shredded in food processor
3 gallons purified water
1 T SEBstar HTL
1 T SEBflow TL

heat somewhat slowly to 125F, rest for 30 minutes

heat somewhat slowly to 190F, rest for 90 minutes, iodine test after 90 minutes showed most starch had been converted to sugars

cool to 145F, add 1T SEBamyl GL, rest for 75 minutes, iodine test afterwards showed no starches

cool to 75F, added 4 packets activated Fleishmann's yeast

using a brew belt to keep the fermenter at 74F

(I don't work for SEB or anything, they were the only enzymes I could find sold in non-bulk quantities)
PBWsTrove
Novice

Re: potato vodka recipe, seeking comments

Postby still_stirrin » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 am

PBWsTrove wrote:... I'd love comments...

30 lbs potatos, shredded in food processor
3 gallons purified water
1 T SEBstar HTL
1 T SEBflow TL

1) heat...to 125F, rest for 30 minutes
2) heat...to 190F, rest for 90 minutes
3) iodine test after 90 minutes showed most starch had been converted to sugars
4) cool to 145F, add 1T SEBamyl GL, rest for 75 minutes, iodine test afterwards showed no starches
5) cool to 75F, added 4 packets activated Fleishmann's yeast

First off, 4 packets of bread yeast is a lot of yeast for 3 gallons of mashed potatos. Typically, the packets are 11 grams each. And I use one to 1-1/2 packets per 5 gallons of wash. That’s about 16-17 grams of dry yeast (rehydrated, of course) in 5 gallons (3-1/2 grams/gallon). Using 4 packets in 3 gallons is close to 14 grams/gallon.

Now, overpitching will start active fermentation very quickly provided you haven’t pitched it into a very high gravity wash...which I doubt you did with your mashed potatos. But if the cell count is too high, the yeast will often bypass the reproduction/budding phase and go straight into latent fermentation. Reproduction (aerobic phase) is good for generation of new healthy cells which will give you a cleaner ferment with less congeners. So, overpitching can be less than desireable.

But the aggressive visible activity is often quite comforting to a new brewer, so don’t fret over it. I just prefer avoiding overpitching....a healthy starter is great, so propagating your yeast to increase cell count is another beneficial means to a healthy ferment.

In summary, you must have done well with the potatos to get a wash to ferment. Potatos are not high in starches with which we can extract to ferment. They’re a lot of work to prepare too. Their biggest advantage is price because they’re relatively inexpensive per pound. And if you live in a potato producing region, it can be even more advatangeous/economical.

Boiling the (peeled) potatos before mashing will make it easier to convert the starches too. And if you cut or cube the potatos, it makes the gelatinization process (boiling) much quicker too.

Good job.
ss

p.s. - you never told us what the wash’s OG was....I’m curious about your extraction efficiency (10lb./3gal H2O)
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Postby PBWsTrove » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 am

It was closer to six gallons of wash in my fermenter. I probably should have used two packets (which I knew), but I have used turbo yeast before and I got paranoid. I didn’t trust the hydrometer because it was so thick but it read 1.09
PBWsTrove
Novice

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:41 am

MCH did a post with potatoes, I think he used a crap load of spuds and only got a bottle of so when it all was said and done.
he roasted his spuds in a hole in the ground.
I believe a thumper would be a very handy tool when stripping spud slop
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby StillerBoy » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:25 pm

PBWsTrove wrote: I didn’t trust the hydrometer because it was so thick but it read 1.09

I question you had a 1.09 with just 30 lbs.. I do potatoes wash using spud juice only ( spud juice is the liquid from boiling the potatoes), and add some sugar as the SG of just potatoes is very low, plus the mash is not filterable after the fermentation is done..

About the only way of extracting the alcohol out of the mash is using a thumper with steam for the main boiler as mention by SP.. the result from the process is low and lots of work, especially in cleaning up..

The best with the experiment..

Mars
StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:MCH did a post with potatoes, I think he used a crap load of spuds and only got a bottle of so when it all was said and done.

Well that was true of my Pumpkin Debacle, but I think I had better luck with spuds. Pumpkins give nothing.
It's been a while, but I want to say that I figured it took about 7 times more potatoes by weight than corn to make likker.

30# may not give you much to work with. You could always do a few more runs, collect the low wines, and do a spirit run for a more workable amount of spirit.

Pretty sure I ran mine in my copper pot boiler with propane and didn't have any scorching. Since then I've used the steam stripping idea already presented here and it works great.

This was my experience way back when: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=50835

I also remember thinking that I preferred baking the potatoes first, even smoking about 10% of them before mashing.
It made a good smooth creamy hooch.

Btw, Sweet Potatoes are even better! They yield more spirit, have a fruity profile, and they work really well with oak aging.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby still_stirrin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:33 pm

MichiganCornhusker wrote:...I also remember thinking that I preferred baking the potatoes first, even smoking about 10% of them before mashing.
It made a good smooth creamy hooch...Btw, Sweet Potatoes are even better! They yield more spirit, have a fruity profile, and they work really well with oak aging.

:clap:

Still...a lot of work for what you get. It's gotta' be "for the love of it"...'cuz there ain't no shortcut to success here.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Postby PBWsTrove » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:00 am

Well I finally got around to distilling my concoction. I used my pot still to do a double distillation removing heads and tails during both distillations. I got approximately 3/4 of a gallon of 115 proof vodka when all was said and done. I haven’t tempered it yet because I decided to infuse pomegranate in it for an upcoming party.

I will say that I loved the flavor of the hot vodka, very neutral and the bite isn’t harsh at all! I think the pomegranate infusion will be pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PBWsTrove
Novice

Postby PBWsTrove » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 am

PBWsTrove wrote:Well I finally got around to distilling my concoction. I used my pot still to do a double distillation removing heads and tails during both distillations. I got approximately 3/4 of a gallon of 115 proof vodka when all was said and done. I haven’t tempered it yet because I decided to infuse pomegranate in it for an upcoming party.

I will say that I loved the flavor of the hot vodka, very neutral and the bite isn’t harsh at all! I think the pomegranate infusion will be pretty awesome.

Sorry, typo, I didn’t get 3/4 of a gallon, more like 3/8’s, it filled my 1/2 gallon infusion jar with the seeds of 2 fruits in it

PBWsTrove
Novice

Return to Recipe Development