Honey Wheat Whiskey

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honey Wheat Whiskey

Postby Rocodog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:53 pm

First off, thank you Jimbo. If not for your Single Malt recipe my AG attempts and this recipe would not exist.

For a 5 gal wash.

8lbs Red Wheat Malt
2lbs 6 Row
1lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

SG is 1.075 - 1.079 depending on my patience and procedures. i take my stripping runs all the way down to ~5%. The hearts cut on the stripping run is real sweet. I almost want to put it on waffles. After a good spirit run and some careful cuts it is pretty tasty. Or you can be a bit more lenient with your cuts if you are going to oak it. It improves greatly on oak.

Mash Procedure follows Jimbo's Single Malt in T&T Recipes. I have tried this with both White Wheat and German Wheat. IMO the red wheat gives a slightly smoother body. The Honey Malt adds a sweetness right up front that compliments the red wheat nicely.

Rocodog
Nobody will ever match your expectations. It’s easy to become disappointed in the people you meet, but really, you should be disappointed in the quality of your own expectations....
Rocodog
Novice

Re: Honey Wheat Whiskey

Postby ShineonCrazyDiamond » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:34 pm

:lol: .

You don't say :D

Congrats!
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Site Mod

Postby StillerBoy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:46 pm

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:You don't say

SCD.. Almost knocking home on this one..

Mars
StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Rocodog » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:46 pm

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote::lol: .

You don't say :D

Congrats!

SCD, you are the other guy whose Procedures I follow. Your Honey Bear Bourbon recipe is how I handle all of my recipes that use adjunct grains. It also introduced me to the joys of honey malt and helped me start playing with all kinds of specialty grains. I have a Rye with a touch of chocolate rye in it doing some really crazy stuff on oak right now.

Rocodog
Nobody will ever match your expectations. It’s easy to become disappointed in the people you meet, but really, you should be disappointed in the quality of your own expectations....
Rocodog
Novice

Return to Recipe Development