Baileys Irish Cream Clone

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Baileys Irish Cream Clone

Post by PipeWelder316 »

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 2⁄3 cups 40 - 45 percent whiskey “UJSM works well”
• 1 cup half & half or heavy cream
• 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon instant coffee
DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bottle. "I use a half gallon whiskey bottle" and shake until mixed well
2. Transfer mixture to an airtight 750 ml bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Shake well before using.
There will be a half a pint left over either enjoy this now or bottle and save this until chilled also.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Baileys Irish Cream Clone

Post by fizzix »

Thanks! Printed this.
The weather is shit here for going to the store. So it may be an hour or two before my wife makes it there and back with the ingredients. :lolno:
PipeWelder316
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by PipeWelder316 »

I made this today. I normally use 40% whiskey but today I decided to go with 45% and I defiantly have no regrets. I can't take credit for this being my recipe cause I found it on the web. Just wanted to share my findings with this awesome forum.
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

I do a similar recipe....

• 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 2 tablespoons caramel syrup
• 1 TBSP vanilla extract
• 3 TBSP instant coffee
top to 750 with 40-45% UJSSM....I tried with 50% but that was a little too much for "Management" she prefers 35-40%

my process is:
I put about 4oz UJSSM in the bottle to start, then Instant coffee, Condensed milk next. Shake that well. Add the Caramel & vanilla. Add UJSSM to 750 & shake.

I keep it in the refrigerator I have NO idea how long it will stay good......Because only lasts about 2 weeks.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

My recipe is exactly the same except I only use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and I add 1 teaspoon almond extract. I use the recipe along with an amaretto almond liqueur recipe to make Duck Farts.

1/2 oz whiskey
1/2 oz amaretto
1/2 oz bailey's

I layer the ingredients and put it in the freezer to serve chilled.
kekedog13
Bootlegger

Post by kekedog13 »

I have made both of these and kept a year in fridge. The one Hoosier did kept better. It did not separate like the cream one did. The cream one developed a solid substance that I had to strain out.. Both tasted very much the same. If you use it right away probably not an issue.But if you plan on saving it for a while go with the one that uses the canned condensed milk.
Yahoo Mountain Dew ! It'll Tickle You're Innards !
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Finally got around to making this (with Cornflake Whiskey) and it tastes great. Very rich!
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

Is there a way of adding something that keeps it from separating
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

iwine wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:42 am Is there a way of adding something that keeps it from separating
Keep searching here. I have a recollection of one of the pros answering your question with a process about pH matching before adding the cream.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

This recipe has never split for me.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 4#p7021698
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

iwine wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:42 am Is there a way of adding something that keeps it from separating
use UHT cream in the 15% fat range.

mix booze and flavour separately from cream, keep it under 50% ABV and mind your ph stays in the 7.2 -7.5 range before mixing with cream.
You can use a 3% preparation of food grade lye to increase pH, citric acid in the unlikely event you need to lower it. it take very, very little to have an effect.

once the flavour and cream are mixed your ABV should be in the 16-20% range. there's calculators around here somewhere to figure out the volumes.

you should not need an emulsifier. you may need a thickener for viscosity if you need to much water to meet the ABV volumes...use guar, xanthan or tralfagar (sp) gum....a little goes a long way with this stuff too...you just want to make the flavour/booze mix as thick as the cream

by separating, if you mean "curdling" its a PH problem. if it's layered, fat is out of range.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

HDNB wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:00 pm
use UHT cream in the 15% fat range.

mix booze and flavour separately from cream, keep it under 50% ABV and mind your ph stays in the 7.2 -7.5 range before mixing with cream.
You can use a 3% preparation of food grade lye to increase pH, citric acid in the unlikely event you need to lower it. it take very, very little to have an effect.

once the flavour and cream are mixed your ABV should be in the 16-20% range. there's calculators around here somewhere to figure out the volumes.

you should not need an emulsifier. you may need a thickener for viscosity if you need to much water to meet the ABV volumes...use guar, xanthan or tralfagar (sp) gum....a little goes a long way with this stuff too...you just want to make the flavour/booze mix as thick as the cream

by separating, if you mean "curdling" its a PH problem. if it's layered, fat is out of range.
You just answered a question. Every time I've tried mixing alcohol and cream it turns into cottage cheese. Nasty stuff. Never considered a PH issue, just figured they were incompatible
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

I have curdled commercial bourbon cream by adding more bourbon.
miltonedgebert
Novice

Post by miltonedgebert »

I made a batch with whiskey, and another with rum. I had a bit of each left over when bottling and mixed them. It turned out better than either of the single spirit versions.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

For kicks I priced Baileys in the store yesterday and was surprised how expensive it is.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

jward wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 pm I have curdled commercial bourbon cream by adding more bourbon.
ph of most booze is low. but strong alcohol will do it too. thats why the flavour mix has to be max 50% at a perfect 7.2 if it's that strong.

now i drink for evil.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Bushman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:48 pm For kicks I priced Baileys in the store yesterday and was surprised how expensive it is.
i'm surprised at how popular it is. they sell like 9 million cases of it a year world wide and there is far superior creams out there. baileys is cloyingly sweet and sticks to your mouth for about a week after you sip it.

dunno why anyone wants to copy it. make something good instead!

now i drink for evil.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

After several years of only having my own, various, cream liqueurs, I had a taste of Baileys and was surprised how little I liked it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

HDNB wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:52 pm
Bushman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:48 pm For kicks I priced Baileys in the store yesterday and was surprised how expensive it is.
i'm surprised at how popular it is. they sell like 9 million cases of it a year world wide and there is far superior creams out there. baileys is cloyingly sweet and sticks to your mouth for about a week after you sip it.

Laughed at sticks to your mouth for about a week! I don’t drink baileys alone I only use it with my recipe for Duck Farts. I posted the recipe for Duck Farts but you can google it if you have never heard of the drink or the history behind it.
DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DRHillier »

Bushman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Laughed at sticks to your mouth for about a week! I don’t drink baileys alone I only use it with my recipe for Duck Farts. I posted the recipe for Duck Farts but you can google it if you have never heard of the drink or the history behind it.
I used to work on the crab boats in Alaska. We would go to the unisea bar and drink duck farts every time we got back in to town. It was a tradition. Haven't had one since then though.
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

DRHillier wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:15 pm
Bushman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:30 pm

I used to work on the crab boats in Alaska. We would go to the unisea bar and drink duck farts every time we got back in to town. It was a tradition. Haven't had one since then though.
I make them up during the winter when we are in the mountains at one of our condo exchanges. I have small glasses and make a bunch up in advance then store them in the freezer. We drink them prior too or after dinner with a nice fire going in the fireplace. Interesting you worked on a crab boat in Alaska. I am a retired school teacher and spent many summers fishing commercially in Naknek.
IMALOSERSCUMBAG
Swill Maker

Post by IMALOSERSCUMBAG »

Same reason Bacardi is such a popular "rum". MARKETING! Back in the day, it used to be reasonably priced. Over the past years it has gotten much more expensive. A direct result of all the "recipes" that contain Baileys. Let's face it, go to most distiller's websites and you'll find a page with drinks that work well with THEIR brand.
Corn Cracker
Swill Maker

Post by Corn Cracker »

Made this last night, turned out awesome. It should be a hit after Christmas dinner tonight, thanks for the recipe
"To ease the pressures of this world here's the way i got it figured, the thing to do for me and you is to drink lots of good corn liquor"
Buck Owens