Blending and proofing

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bushman
Admin

Blending and proofing

Post by Bushman »

I realize purists might find this thread a little offensive, and I love a good single malt. Having said that I am currently reading Whisky the Definitive World Guide by Michael Jackson. In the book he talks about aging in used wine barrels. This got me to thinking. Has any one blended a small amount of wine with water while proofing to give a hint of a fruity flavor?
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Blending and proofing

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Yes I have, Dry Sherry or Dry White Wine, one ounce to a half gal after adding water.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I was guessing it would be a small amount to just add a little flavor but not to over power it.
durty_dunderpants
Novice

Post by durty_dunderpants »

felt "wrong" to me at first but all those barrels do is the same thing and that's contaminate scotch with wine. i'm not even using barrels with mine at them moment anyways..

i've used a splash of sherry with rum and single malt to those ends. probably should be using a more scientific measure like bruce to be sure (may use his measure next time)
it's really too young to start tasting them but the scent coming off them compared to the un-tampered "control" with is so much more interesting/exciting and dare i say it more reminiscent of certain scotch.