Sweeter Shine

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Acidgut
Novice

Sweeter Shine

Post by Acidgut »

I recently made some corn liquer.
To 25L water
4.5kg Flaked Maize
800gr Malted Barley
2.5kg Sugar
Prestige WF (Whisky) Yeast with AG
10ml (2t) Gypsum (CaSO4)
5ml (1t) Gluco - amylase
Ran it through pot still with thumper. Tasted great was very happy, except I'd like it to be sweeter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sweeter Shine

Post by still_stirrin »

Tighter cuts.

Ethanol is sweet, heads are sharp/hot and tails are husky/grainy. So running through a potstill your will smear the flavors and reduce the percieved sweetness. Separating better will give you more sweetness.

You asked for suggestions...that’s mine.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Acidgut
Novice

Post by Acidgut »

Appreciate that.
Burl Jerkins
Novice

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Are you dead set on doing corn? I started with, and regularly distill, a 100% Dark brown sugar shine. It's sweet goodness and simple as shit. Co-workers and family love it. I know it sounds cheap, and it actually is(bout $25 for sugar/yeast per 10 gal wash), but it's so clean and so palatable.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

don`t let it ferment dry
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Burl Jerkins wrote:Are you dead set on doing corn? I started with, and regularly distill, a 100% Dark brown sugar shine. It's sweet goodness and simple as shit. Co-workers and family love it. I know it sounds cheap, and it actually is(bout $25 for sugar/yeast per 10 gal wash), but it's so clean and so palatable.
If you want to try this, don't bother with brown sugar; its just regular white sugar with a bit of molasses added. Make it yourself and you'll have better control of the results and its much cheaper.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Expat wrote:
Burl Jerkins wrote:Are you dead set on doing corn? I started with, and regularly distill, a 100% Dark brown sugar shine. It's sweet goodness and simple as shit. Co-workers and family love it. I know it sounds cheap, and it actually is(bout $25 for sugar/yeast per 10 gal wash), but it's so clean and so palatable.
If you want to try this, don't bother with brown sugar; its just regular white sugar with a bit of molasses added. Make it yourself and you'll have better control of the results and its much cheaper.

Not much price difference is there? I pay round $1 a pound for the DBS, and it's pure cane. I'd rather not use beet sugar, just because ya know.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Not sure what exactly you're saying. Brown sugar is massively overpriced, essentially a scam.

Example from Walmart, all are cane based.
Dark Brown Sugar - 28¢/100g
White Sugar - 13¢/100g (I pay about half this much when I buy large bags)
Demerara Sugar 35¢/100g

A small container of molasses costing $3 converts a ton of white sugar. A tablespoon or so to a kilo.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Burl Jerkins »

Ya, guess you're right. Domino is roughly double for DBS than the white. I suppose I'm willing to pay the extra. Only doing 10 gal washes with 20lb of sugar, so I really don't care about the $8 difference. I was thinking you were taking about beet based sugar like Pioneer or store brands, screw that crap. On a side note.....could get Organic raw sugar from Costco for .77lb. Would make the hipsters happy they were drinking organic liquor....lol!!!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Malt some corn and roast in in your oven at 350f for several hours.
At about 10% of your grain bill it will add a nice perceived sweet, caramel corn character.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...