Old Time Ky moonshine

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Wkyshiner
Novice

Old Time Ky moonshine

Post by Wkyshiner »

Hello, guys I would like to share this recipe. This is one we used in the woods for many of years, so its just a simple corn likker that we done for a long time. I decided to fire the still up for the first time in a long time to make a little and see if I could make a pretty good shine.

This is just a small version that I done a run of, its a ten gallon mash.

2 5gal. Buckets
Add 5in of cracked yeller corn
1 cup of yeller corn meal
(I used amylase this time of year) 3 table spoons per 5 gallon.
I use yeller malt corn when its summer
8lbs of suger per 5 gallon. Just to get the % up, remember we made this in the woods so back then it was all about how much we could make.
1 1/2 table spoon of your favorite yeast, I used daddy in this, but back then we had our own yeast we used, and didnt have time to make it.

Add your cracked yeller corn and corn meal to your heating pale, and half water. Heater up to 160f once it hits that add your amylase and let it cook for a hr. After its cooked add your suger. Once the sugar is dissolved add more cold water to get it down to 95f and pitch your yeast in. Then your wait about a week or more. Just taste it and when it gets really bitter, and not much action. Its time to run the likker.

This run I did this week came off at 160 proof, and will get about a gal, and a half of good likker. Should be about 16% before you add the yeast. After your run, save the corn and yeast, add a lil more yeller corn and sugar and start that sour mash run. Now after you youngens start asking about re running the likker the answer is hell no. Its made to get people drunk off thier ass. Not no sippen shine, but its damn good. I dont know how to add a damn picture either.
Last edited by Wkyshiner on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Re: Old Time Ky moonshine

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

How much of the run do you keep, how do you make your cuts?

How do you malt your corn and how much corn malt would you use in a batch, 50%? 100?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:How much of the run do you keep, how do you make your cuts? ...
This was the recipe they made out in the woods. At the risk of stereotyping, they were making "keep-it-all-f#(k-y'all likker". LOL. Probably made a small fores cut. I don't know anyone else that would do it like that. :crazy:
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
Wkyshiner
Novice

Post by Wkyshiner »

We did throw out the fore and some of the heads, this run a pint was discarded. In my life time I have thrown more heads away than most people have run likker. I was extremely lucky to be taught to make a good likker, we always run on copper, and never put the fores in a jar. We did keep most of the heads though, and I still do. We blended and cut with water to get the proof down, so after that the heads were weak. Hell we used to run 50 gals of likker at a time back then.

In this run I would add about 2lbs of malt for each bucket, or a little more. Its fine to add more malt, its always good to have a lil more than not enough. We used 55 gal drums of malt back when we was making big runs.

As far as making malt corn, get you a burlap sack filler up and soak the hole damn thing with water, we would set them in a creek. We would let them soak for about a day or so, pull them out and spread the corn out and let them start to sprout. Get you a good sprout and then get the hand grinder out.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

It's all about making what "you" like :thumbup: