Blackstrap vs Fancy Molasses showdown

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SpiritOf76
Novice

Re: Blackstrap vs Fancy Molasses showdown

Post by SpiritOf76 »

@rockinrockies did you try shamrock food service warehouse? https://www.shamrockfsw.com/ open to the public. denver metro.
looks like the restaurant supply stores in my area. https://myestore.shamrockfsw.com/estore/index.html
in search of a clever signature...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

RockinRockies wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:36 pm The price of molasses is not that bad until you factor in shipping and then it just makes it cost prohibitive.
I wanted to follow saltbush bills recipe book for Pete's sake 10 gallons cost me $120 after shipping.
I'm in Denver metro and I have looked all over and cannot find anyone that has a price under $10 a gallon shipped
Use Blackstrap, follow the recipes for it and purchase it at a feed store. I buy it in 3 gallon buckets.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

SpiritOf76 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:07 pm @rockinrockies did you try shamrock food service warehouse? https://www.shamrockfsw.com/ open to the public. denver metro.
looks like the restaurant supply stores in my area. https://myestore.shamrockfsw.com/estore/index.html
I called one wholesale place for restaurants and it was still 12.5 bucks a gallon and that was a discount rate
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

There is a restaurant depot in Denver.
I haven’t bought any from there in awhile but they used to have a good price
https://www.restaurantdepot.com/locatio ... ouse/Index
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Bushman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:07 pm
RockinRockies wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:36 pm The price of molasses is not that bad until you factor in shipping and then it just makes it cost prohibitive.
I wanted to follow saltbush bills recipe book for Pete's sake 10 gallons cost me $120 after shipping.
I'm in Denver metro and I have looked all over and cannot find anyone that has a price under $10 a gallon shipped
Use Blackstrap, follow the recipes for it and purchase it at a feed store. I buy it in 3 gallon buckets.
+1. Tractor Supply Co. Has it for $8 a gallon. Evolved Habitats brand. 50/50 molly & panela makes a good rum.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

8Ball wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:48 pm
Bushman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:07 pm
+1. Tractor Supply Co. Has it for $8 a gallon. Evolved Habitats brand. 50/50 molly & panela makes a good rum.
I use blackstrap & Panela but not sure I understand your 50/50 as Panela is measured in weight and molasses is measured in volume. My recipe is 7lbs Panela and 1/2 gallons blackstrap for a 6 gallon fermenting bucket.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Bushman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:24 pm I use blackstrap & Panela but not sure I understand your 50/50 as Panela is measured in weight and molasses is measured in volume. My recipe is 7lbs Panela and 1/2 gallons blackstrap for a 6 gallon fermenting bucket.
Bushman, here are the specifics of the 50/50, actually it is 53.4/46.6, but what are a few points among friends?

8# Panela (0.7*8=5.6 # fermentables) 53.4% sugar
1G TSC molasses (4.89 # fermentables) 46.6% sugar
5.6+4.89=10.49 # in 8.0G total volume wash.
10.49/8=1.3113 ppG
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

8Ball I am guessing my rum is a little lighter than yours.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

So I know this is a black strap verse fancy molasses showdown and I don't want to derail it but I decided to use black strap. The question I have about that evolved habitats is that I cannot find the ingredient list because it says molasses flavored deer attractant from tractor supply for $8.99 a gallon. From what I see it looks like it contains propionic acid but the labeling and advertising is very confusing and I don't want to buy something that's molasses flavored with a bunch of chemicals.

Additionally I did call the restaurant place at your speaking about in Denver and that was $53 for 4 gallon case and that was their best price no matter how many cases you bought
higgins
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by higgins »

RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

I bought 10 gallons from there but it cost me $120 with shipping
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

RockinRockies wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:43 pm
The question I have about that evolved habitats is that I cannot find the ingredient list because it says molasses flavored deer attractant from tractor supply for $8.99 a gallon. From what I see it looks like it contains propionic acid but the labeling and advertising is very confusing and I don't want to buy something that's molasses flavored with a bunch of chemicals.
Here are a couple images of the actual Evolved Habitats container, front & back. It lists pure feed grade molasses at 43% sugar content, minimum (82 brix).

It does contain a little propionic acid, but that hasn’t stopped me from making over a dozen successful ferments with it. The results of those ferments are now aging in a used 5G Gibbs cask.

No where do I see what you posted regarding it being “… molasses flavored with a bunch of chemicals.” Get your facts straight before posting misleading information.

Others who read this thread can decide for themselves:
FA5DD713-EB29-4A50-8ECC-D1F63B7163F4.jpeg
21095CAF-BBA7-483A-A31A-D651D4F019BA.jpeg
This stuff is made in Louisiana (USA), where they make millions of tons of sugar cane. https://www.amscl.org/industry-info/
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thanks for the photos and information 8ball, retracted what I said.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Where are y’all getting your panela at nowadays?
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Snackson wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:37 pm Where are y’all getting your panela at nowadays?
In the PNW a group of members got together and bought in bulk along with one of the local distilleries. Not sure with Covid if it is still available.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

8Ball wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:39 am
RockinRockies wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:43 pm
The question I have about that evolved habitats is that I cannot find the ingredient list because it says molasses flavored deer attractant from tractor supply for $8.99 a gallon. From what I see it looks like it contains propionic acid but the labeling and advertising is very confusing and I don't want to buy something that's molasses flavored with a bunch of chemicals.
Here are a couple images of the actual Evolved Habitats container, front & back. It lists pure feed grade molasses at 43% sugar content, minimum (82 brix).

It does contain a little propionic acid, but that hasn’t stopped me from making over a dozen successful ferments with it. The results of those ferments are now aging in a used 5G Gibbs cask.

No where do I see what you posted regarding it being “… molasses flavored with a bunch of chemicals.” Get your facts straight before posting misleading information.

Others who read this thread can decide for themselves:

FA5DD713-EB29-4A50-8ECC-D1F63B7163F4.jpeg21095CAF-BBA7-483A-A31A-D651D4F019BA.jpeg

This stuff is made in Louisiana (USA), where they make millions of tons of sugar cane. https://www.amscl.org/industry-info/

First of All, maybe because you are on the internet you think it's acceptable to talk to me like that. Funny how rude people are on the internet where there is the safety of anonymity. A lot of you folks on this site have serious attitude problems so check yourself.
Screenshot_20210906-105654.png
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

Go read the product details. Absolutely confusing when it's called molasses attractant/ game attractant. That is confusing and suspect when I don't see an ingredients list. I couldn't find out anywhere that lists the exact and specific ingredients.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I read the details. The material is molasses. The primary ingredient is extracted real molasses. Molasses is a wild game attractant. Molasses smells and tastes like molasses. When you add a little propionic acid to the blackstrap molasses it becomes a formula. Clearly this product is marketed towards the hunting community and is worded in a way to make it sound like it is something with magical game attracting power. At the end of the day, it clearly is blackstrap molasses with a bit of preservative added. I still don’t see where it states that it “… has a bunch of chemicals” added as you posted earlier. I stand by my caution to you to check your facts before posting misleading information here. I see that you took it as an offense instead of solid advice. Then you decided to insult the very people who try to further this craft. Way to go, champ.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:22 am
Snackson wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:37 pm Where are y’all getting your panela at nowadays?
In the PNW a group of members got together and bought in bulk along with one of the local distilleries. Not sure with Covid if it is still available.

Fyi, there is a few thousand pounds remaining on the SD warehouse floor.
I got no dog in the hunt Btw.
SugarDaddy is a friend an I try to help him out with floor space when I can.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
RockinRockies
Swill Maker

Post by RockinRockies »

8Ball wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:48 am I read the details. The material is molasses. The primary ingredient is extracted real molasses. Molasses is a wild game attractant. Molasses smells and tastes like molasses. When you add a little propionic acid to the blackstrap molasses it becomes a formula. Clearly this product is marketed towards the hunting community and is worded in a way to make it sound like it is something with magical game attracting power. At the end of the day, it clearly is blackstrap molasses with a bit of preservative added. I still don’t see where it states that it “… has a bunch of chemicals” added as you posted earlier. I stand by my caution to you to check your facts before posting misleading information here. I see that you took it as an offense instead of solid advice. Then you decided to insult the very people who try to further this craft. Way to go, champ.
Either way we're derailing the thread with this unit measuring contest, and I'm not going to continue but I would like to say if you can't see how your response was rude then ain't no helping you buddy. Agree to disagree I suppose that's fine.

To me it was very confusing, because it's so vague with the way they word stuff that I don't know what the extra stuff is in there. I want to make sure it's not chemicals. I think most people would agree that if it's not precise labeling, and after scouring the site, not getting a picture of the ingredients label, and it says primary ingredient....then what is the other ingredients? It could technically be chemicals, but how can I know if I can't get access to the ingredient list. that was my whole point.
But thankfully you clarified it and now we can all learn from this.

So then at this point it sounds like the evolved habitat stuff is sufficient to make a good rum? is that correct? and if so then people can read through the thread and like you said come up to their own conclusion.

And you can say what you want about how I took things, but it's a known issue on this site with high posters being arrogant and providing rude responses. Either way I find the exchange to be helpful to lookers on who are trying to find out whether or not they can make run out of this stuff
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Dunno what you fellers are yelling at each other about?
Propanoic Acid in any molasses is normal. Propanol
(slurry) is what's use to initiate sugar crystal growth in the centrifuge.
However, depending on the PPM, propanoic Acid could be added and used as a preservative.
This happens when the extracted sugar content is below 50%. Most modern equipment can only extract to 50%. Therefore if your analysis shows 30% sucrose, humans have definitely cut your product for the sake of profit. Also 30% is susceptible to mold / fungus growth.
If your molasses is say,,,30% sugars, then you most likely have had some form of a preservative added. At 40 %, the molasses has also been stepped on.
This enhances the shelf life. Also makes it harder for yeast to do its job. This blend of molasses is fully intended for livestock and fertilizers.
That's not to say that you can't ferment and make an acceptable rum. Only that "agricultural grade molasses is not an optimal choice. Sucrose needs to be at 50% (at least)
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:26 pmFyi, there is a few thousand pounds remaining on the SD warehouse floor.
Sugar Daddy has gots the good stuff!

I’ve done molasses, cane sugar, and Daddy’s panela, and to my homebrew palate there is no contest: Sugar Daddy panela all the way.

That said, I’d love to find a way to get some buckets of pure, fresh, cane juice someday…
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

LWTCS wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:26 pm
Bushman wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:22 am

Fyi, there is a few thousand pounds remaining on the SD warehouse floor.
I got no dog in the hunt Btw.
SugarDaddy is a friend an I try to help him out with floor space when I can.
Hey Larry
When the topic of panela came up I immediately went to your website. You used to advertise panela, but now nothing comes up when I click on fermenables
What are the costs for panela, let’s say a 50 pound bag?
I actually pm’d sugar daddy on adi to get his email for this but if you have it for him that is probably easier for everyone
Thanks
WC
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Captn Jack
Novice

Post by Captn Jack »

I have a friend that makes sorghum molasses come the second weekend of Nov. usually, so I am going to mosey on over there when he is making it and see if I can get a couple of gallons to make a rum from. Has anyone made rum from Sorghum molasses?
Who is John Galt?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just bumping this captn jack
Keen to know .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Someone did last year ...the name eludes me atm......8ball springs to mind, as does Jonnys spirit ......and 6rowjoe.
Simple google search brings up a heap on the subject
app.php/googlesearch?cx=012980085383122 ... itesearch=