Pertsovka (pepper infusion) / apple juice diluted!

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Pertsovka (pepper infusion) / apple juice diluted!

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

To be honest, our pepper infusion is not just "go buy some vodka and pitch the peppers in it". It will take your time and patience. On the other hand, it is not too sophisticated. And I hope you guys would luv the effect of your efforts, I do.

In contrast to Nemiroff, we won't use honey. But we'll need some filtered and clarified apple juice. And it's called Pertsovka or Pertsovaya Nastoyka in Russian.

OK, we'll need this kind of stuff:
  • refined sugar = 10g / or fructose = 5g
  • apple juice = .57l
  • neutral 96%AbVspirit = .5l
After some losses in filtration, we'll get about 1l of the magic substance, close to 45%AbV... I have friends amongst rafting fans that constantly order this drink. No need to say, why do they take it with them into the stormy waters.

Well, let's cut right in two the pills of the black and allspice peppers. We may use mortar and pestle, but crashing in powder means getting the infusion hazed and is not good for filtering. Then we have to remove septums and seeds out of the cayenne. Now let's pour all the "botanics" with our neutral alco to infuse it for 2-3 weeks. Then we cool it hard in a freezer and filter 1 or 2 times.

Let's add sugar/fructose and our juice. After adding the juice our liquor may get cloudy. Very likely, it will get haze, yeah. We won't cry. We'll keep it for a week or two at room temp. The clouds will start coming down as flakes. Then let's freeze it hard again and filter 2-3-5 times depending on your patience and/or transparency requirement. This one was cloudy and I cleared it like that:
capsaicinum :)
capsaicinum :)
What's next? Enjoy it "room-tempered" or chilled. Go in for some rafting or skiing 8)

P.S. A good idea for the first time is using less peppers and more inflorescence and stems. Forget about the cayenne at all. And never infuse its seed, otherwise the deadmen will start up walking )))

har druckit för mycket
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pertsovka (pepper infusion) / apple juice diluted!

Post by fizzix »

Skull and crossbones on the label notwithstanding, I've got 7.6 liters of 85% vodka awaiting tangerine peel for gin.
I am going to part with some to make this, VLAGAVULVIN. I don't mind a little less alcohol, and would like to have a nice Russian drink to serve.
I'll take your word on skipping the cayenne and using less pepper. I've got enough dead-man-walking friends.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

fizzix wrote:85% vodka awaiting tangerine peel for gin.
If you diddle it down to 40% after infusing it may get cloudy on account of the essential oils...
...to be re-distilled or wut?
fizzix wrote:I don't mind a little less alcohol, and would like to have a nice Russian drink to serve.
:!: Achtung!!! :!:
Making it less than 40%AbV means getting a strange thing that I would not subscribe to!
If you have 1 part of 85% alco at start then take 1.12 of juice to get 40% as the ready-made / finish.
fizzix wrote:I've got enough dead-man-walking friends.
Hush! Can you hear them walking behind? Whisper some greets from me to them... :shh:

har druckit för mycket
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

:!: Jawohl :!:
I will mix it at higher than 40%
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

OK, keep us posted here about your experience. Danke in advance! :wave:

har druckit för mycket
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Getting the "dry as hay" St. John's Wort wasn't as easy as today's modern electronic world of instant availability would imply.
But I got it, and the botanical step is underway. Only going with 1 liter total to see how it is, and I'm skipping the cayenne with the OP's blessing. Let's say me and cayenne are friends, but not lovers.
Cut the AllSpice and Peppercorns in halves with a razor blade. There's not THAT much, and they slice well.

Will let this infuse for 3 weeks (target: April 9th), freeze crash, coarse filter, fine filter, then add the sugar and apple juice for Step 2 (sipping target: April 23rd).

The ol' Fizzix Liquor Warehouse is really taking shape, and this'll be a (likely) welcome addition.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

fizzix wrote: Will let this infuse for 3 weeks (target: April 9th), freeze crash, coarse filter, fine filter, then add the sugar and apple juice for Step 2 (sipping target: April 23rd).
Since April 9th, pray in this way:
1. coarse filtering (without freezing)
2. adding apple juice (and tasting the next day)
3. very likely, you won't add any sugar after tasting
4. chill filtration... chill filtration... chill filtration...
5. bon appétit!

:angel:

har druckit för mycket
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I’d put in the fresh cayenne but that’s just me. Is this a sipper or a shooter ? Rocks or straight up?

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

No rocks, definitely (at least, never heard of). In Russia it's normally a chilled shooter. But sipping it at room temp may be of pleasure, too. The hunters and fishers tend to have the warm-up flask in their inner pocket, especially for frosty and/or windy cases.

Brgds,
VV

har druckit för mycket
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

First filtering complete. Not chilled yet.
This is a very zestful and eye-opening drink. The pepper is dominating, and I'm glad I skipped the cayenne.
Do I like it? YES!
Freeze crashing now for a second filtering, and I'm already craving another sip.
This will be a special treat when chilled.

Thanks, VLAGAVULVIN, for the recipe and for something unique to place on my liquor shelf.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Hellyeah, now share it with some friends who need their eyes get open wide :crazy:

Would be glad to know all ye liked it, gentlemen :wave:

har druckit för mycket