Pikey's Bacardi (ish)

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pikey's Bacardi (ish)

Post by Pikey »

Apparently my previous post on this has "Fallen off" the forum,

So here it is again;

400 ml Feed grade molasses
5Kg sugar
a little nutrient (I use Tronozymol)
2 tsp Citric acid
make up to 25 Litres with tap water.
Half hour on "Air stone"
Yeast and ferment out.

My pot is a bit wierd and I get some "passive reflux" I'm pretty sure, but I do single runs and get my Hearts out at around 60 abv. Cuts are tight and the "feints" go into the boiler with the next wash.

(I think if you struggle with the abv, a somewhat taller column than usual and a wrap or two of copper "brake pipe" around the top of the riser, with some of the cooling water passing through after it clears the condenser could "proxy" that passive reflux )

When I do this it comes straight of the pipe with "Bacardi flavour" - however it is at 60% and the missus (mixes it with part coke, part what we in the uk call "Lemonade") she swears one of mine gives her the same flavour as two measures of the "Commercial", so she drinks it with a single measure of mine, and prefers it to "the real thing" - (no headaches :wink: ) so in effect she is drinking 1.5 measures at 40%.

I am about to run a version where I have dropped the molasses to 300 ml, to see if I can hit the same flavour content (or lack of it !) as they do ! - I'll edit to say how it comes out.

Now I don't know how a double distill would affect the flavour, but I expect quite badly, so if you're going there - I'd say "UP" the molasses - but can offer no further help - Sorry.

So there ya go, simple, cheap and a good facsimile - I'd like some feedback if anyone else can get around 60% abv off a wash around 11% in one hit.

[Edit - I expect this would work quite well on a "not quite fully de-tuned" reflux - where the output was turned down to 60% ? ]
Fruit Squeezer
Bootlegger

Re: Pikey's Bacardi (ish)

Post by Fruit Squeezer »

I love Bracardi, but I think they put alot of heads in it to get the flavor and cheapen production
I love the taste, but hate the hives and bloodpressure spike I get when I over enjoy. (I think it's the heads).
I never get that from a good bourbon or vodka.

Gotta put this one on my 'to do' list for sure!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

I definitely remove the heads and tails and those who know about these things tell me it is a good fake - I've now dropped the standard recipe to 300 ml of molasses, which does not seem to adversely affect the result !

The heads and tails go back into the next run.

However as I said, my pot pulls hearts at average of 60% abv without any bother - I'm not sure whether that could be duplicated with a standard pot and double running as it may remove too much flavour. If you are operating that way, a little more molasses may be a good adjustment. Detuning a reflux to give hearts at the same abv level should be fine.

The only (slight) annoyance is that you get about as much flavour from this at 60% as a Standard B at 40% so SWMBO gets half as much alcohol again as she would by drinking Commercial for the same measure. (I don't bother proofing it down as she uses mixers anyway) - Again an adjustment to the molasses ratio may "Fix" that although dropping from 400 to 300 ml doesn't seem to have much effect, so I really don't know how much more I would need to use, but if you want to drink it neat, that would be a consideration.

We're both happy as it is so I take the attitude "if it ain't broke - why fix it " ?
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

So little molasses in so much sugar?
You do not use cane sugar, do you?
Single run ?

I will keep it in mind: I think I can do that too.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:So little molasses in so much sugar?
You do not use cane sugar, do you?
Single run ?

I will keep it in mind: I think I can do that too.
I'd be honoured Kareltje. :)

Bear in mind I'm just aiming to hit "standard white Bacardi" - not anything "Super". There is not really very much flavour in that.

As for sugar ? Always I use cane or beet sugar depending which is cheaper - to me there is no difference !

Single run - that is what I do - with heads and tails added back for second and subsequent runs. Not really different flavour - just more of the hearts if you add the feints back.
vqstatesman
Swill Maker

Post by vqstatesman »

Pikey wrote:Apparently my previous post on this has "Fallen off" the forum,
Do you mean this one? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63933
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Pikey
Do you age it or find ageing makes any difference to it?
Jimy