crystal rye malt

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

needmorstuff
Swill Maker

crystal rye malt

Post by needmorstuff »

I am following NChooch's Carolina Bourbon recipe, as much as I can. I note in the thread that Rye Malt is highly recommended.

However my local homebrew store only carries crystal rye malt, do you guys/gals think that would be ok?

So I was thinking per 22l of water (5.8 us gallons)

4.12kg flaked micronzied maize (9.2lb)
1.33kg Crushped pale ale malt (2.9lb)
.5kg Crushed Crystal rye malt (1.1lb)

also I got some enzymes, (details below) to help conversion due to the low diastatic power of the ale malt (about 50).. I am thinking that the alpha amylase will not be required as I am not cooking the corn to a glupe? only heating to strike temp and adding everything at the same time, but having no experience with this I will suck it and see.

(details below translated from polish)
alpha amylase, a liquefaction enzyme, a distillation enzyme that causes a rapid drop in the viscosity of gelatinized starch
pH 4.5 - 8
temp 80-110
Dosage: 50 ml of enzyme is enough for about 268 kg of the dried, dry corn

glukoamylaza - enzyme, a distillation enzyme that allows the degradation of starch into fermentable sugars
ph 4-5
operating temperature 40-60c
Dosage 50ml enzyme is enough for about 108kg of scorched, dry corn, dry corn / 125kg rye
License number NRU/D/15/22
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: crystal rye malt

Post by still_stirrin »

Crystalized malt will retain its caramel sweetness, that is, it won’t ferment out dry. The crystal malt is added for flavor and body in the beer and not so much for fermentablity. As a result, you’ll measure a higher finishing gravity with increased dextrinous viscosity. It will increase the propensity for the mash to foam in the boiler. But it will give you a nice, candy sweetness with the sourdough flavor of rye.

It’ll work, if you know what you’re doing.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
needmorstuff
Swill Maker

Post by needmorstuff »

that does sound nice, apart from the foam bit and higher fg. Turns out the local store only had half the crystal rye i wanted in any case! so having to resort to mail order and they carry pale rye malt so i am back to the basic recipe now.

some good info there for future reference though, thanks.
License number NRU/D/15/22
Birddog
Novice

Post by Birddog »

I really like using the crystal rye for the extra depth of flavor. I highly recommend it.