Corn Rye & Corn Orange Gin

All things to do with making of gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Corn Rye & Corn Orange Gin

Post by sltm1 »

Ok, 1st the gin. I made a gin-like substance in late August, let set till December and then threw in several 1-2 inch pieces of orange peel. When I first sampled it it tasted of too much coriander, next time it was more junipery but lacked something so I added the orange peels. Now it is a smooth semi-gin flavored orangey liquor and I like it...not gin, but a good experiment anyhow. Next the rye.
8 gallons of H20, approx 6-7 lbs of crushed rye and 5 pounds of crushed corn (yeast needed some food) + yeast. Racked it and distilled it yesterday and boy can you taste the rye!! By comparison I went to the liquor store and bought 2 airplane bottles of Jack Daniels rye for a taste test. As with regular JD, there are strong overly SWEET overtones but the rye flavor definitely matches what I made. I'm going to proof some down to 120 and add some charred oak and let it set for a while, the rest I think I'll proof down to 85 and drink it in the white. Fun stuff....unfortunately I have the patience of a gnat so it's tough to wait out the aging process.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Corn Rye & Corn Orange Gin

Post by StillerBoy »

Making "distiller's beer" is open to your imagination of the grain bill to use.. now comes the fascination / frustration part, doing a replica of it..

Enjoy the world of distiller's beer making..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein