Sweet feed question

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jeffp60
Novice

Sweet feed question

Post by Jeffp60 »

Is it possible, worth it to make a 5gal mash without all the sugar ? Say adding 2lbs of malt to 10 lbs of feed . anyone who has made/had it,is it sweet? Taste like molasses? I wanted to bump up the corn content but minga it doesnt sound as easy as grains for beer brewing.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Sweet feed question

Post by still_stirrin »

You’re wanting to do an all grain mash?

Sure, you can do it. But you’ll have to gelatinize the corn meal first. Read up in the mashing forum how to do that. Also, using high temperature enzymes will help with that. Then, after the corn is gelatinized, you can add your malt and finish your saccarification mash rest.

Typically, you’ll want 2-1/2 lb./gallon of grains, or slightly more to extract a good starting gravity. I assume you’ve mashed grains before, right? So you know your brewhouse efficiency.

Corn is the primary cereal grain in most whiskeys. I find it does produce a residual sweetness in the finished spirit. When properly aged on oak, it makes a nice sipping whiskey. Increasing the malt to corn ratio is also nice as it will reduce the residual sweetness a little, giving the whiskey a drier finish. Some even use specialty malts to improve the spirit’s complexity. There’s many choice threads in the Tried & True recipe forum. Have a look...

Be safe. Be responsible. And be discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Listen to still_stirrin!
In my humble opinion, all grain is the bee's knees of distilling.
A couple of things have to happen:
1) Cook your corn (adjuncts) to gelatinize (revealing the starches).
2) Convert those starches to sugar (for the hungry yeast) with enzymes- either by powerful enough malt grains, or enzymes from a jar.

Diastatic Power is one determination for a good conversion.

Lots of good "all-figured-out" all grain recipes are in Tried and True.

You can do this!
Jeffp60
Novice

Post by Jeffp60 »

Thanx, just as i would think. Just wasnt sure of sugar content/ flavor profile of all sweet feed and no corn.
Planned on using alpha,gluco and pale.
Jeffp60
Novice

Post by Jeffp60 »

Cant find a pure sweetfeed recipe so, the question is : whats the expected abv? No idea of ratios, seems mostly barley. Everyone seems to just steep in bucket ,not cook because they add sugar. So i plan on acting like its cracked corn.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Jeffp60 wrote:Cant find a pure sweetfeed recipe so, the question is : whats the expected abv? No idea of ratios, seems mostly barley. Everyone seems to just steep in bucket ,not cook because they add sugar. So i plan on acting like its cracked corn.
Yep...the sweet feed recipe in the Tried & True forum is a sugarhead. But I thought you were planning to mash your grains without sugar. If so, mash the grains the way you would for an all grain recipe. The sweet feed grains are primarily corn, with some barley and oats and “glazed” with molasses. Mash the mix like you would corn and then add your barley malt after gelatinizing the corn, et.al.

But rather than buying a sweet feed mix (at TSC), buy a bag of cracked corn and weigh out your 50-60% grainbill and mill it to a corn meal consistency. Then, weigh out your barley malt (from the LHBS) and crack it. Pick up some Quaker Oats quick oats equal to the % of the grainbill required.

Gelatinize the corn by boiling it (simmering works great), stirring continuously. After 90-120 minutes of this, cool the mash/corn porridge to 150*F and add your barley malt and oat flakes. Mash this until your iodine check shows the starches are all converted.

You can rack it off of the grains, or transfer it all to the fermenter (to ferment “on the grain”, if you prefer). Then add 10-15% of the grainbill of sulfur free molasses and stir it all into the mash. Chill it with a wort chiller to ferment temperatures (80-90*F) and pitch your yeast.

Don’t forget to measure and record the original gravity.
Good luck. Enjoy, and save a sip for me.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Also on the og, it may read a little higher than normal and finish the same with the molasses there. You'll be fine though so don't worry about seeing 1.010 or lower for the fg. Molasses is like that :thumbup:

Good recipe!!!
Jeffp60
Novice

Post by Jeffp60 »

Been told barley is first ingredient. For under 20 bucks can get 50#s each of cracked corn and sweetfeed
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Try cornmeal, I get better conversion without having to cook for 1.5 hours on an open flame.
It takes a while but is unattended for the majority of the time.
Just in case you haven't read it I'll go ahead and explain, boil your water then mix in the corn meal while mixing with a good 1/2" drill, cover/insulate it and let cool naturally back to 150 to add your malts, cover back and let it do its thing. Stir once in a while during the corn cook/rest what ever you call it.
Once cooled to 95ish pitch your yeast of choice.

On average I get 1.063-1.065

If you plan to use high and low temp enzymes I'll let someone else explain that one as I don't use them (yet)

Shine0n