Banana

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Banana

Post by Hilltop »

I've been fooling with bananas a bit. Tried several ways and am finally getting something I like.

Step one purchase bananas and puree 4 gallons worth and freeze. Puree another 3 gallons and mix it with 50lbs inverted sugar with lemon juice, dap, yeast nutrient, 5 lbs finely ground wheat, 25 gallons water, 1 gallon Minute maid watermelon , 2 cups oyster shell and 1 box of rice Chex cereal! I used a 1/4 cup bread yeast as that's what I had.

10 days and she's done for me, then I add a 1/4 of the the defrosted banana puree in my thumper with some additional mash and strip. Takes me two stripping runs. I then do two spirit runs with more puree in the thumper toss the foreshots and setting the first two quarts aside to go into the boiler with the next batch.

I can tell ya this, Girls love it and I do too. I added the minute made for shits and giggles, doubt it does much in the flavor profile but adds some nutrients and I didn't like it for drinking purposes.

I didn't weigh the bananas but it was about a dozen or so " bunches" I open fermented indoors. I added half a blender of water during each cycle in my blender and filled with broken up bananas to almost the top. I watched my bananas till they started getting some black spots. Throw any molded ones away. Getting them ripe was the key. Freezing them once they reached the desired ripeness in a pureed state eliminated a lot of my headache.

I will write down exact quantitys and measurements next time as I was just experimenting. I added a couple cups of puree into the mash on day 4 and it went crazy foaming. 1 batch had 2 cups of cracked corn as it needed more nutrient, substituted the cereal for the cracked corn on round two.

I can get the bananas that are getting too ripe from my local grocery store on Tuesdays for a dollar per bag which contains about 3 bunches of bananas. My next experiment will be a combination of bananas, peaches and strawberrys. This worked a lot better for me than brandy, as it has loads of flavor.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
Bushman
Admin

Re: Banana

Post by Bushman »

Have you thought about tomato paste for nutrients?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Dare I ask what it tastes and smells like?
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

OtisT wrote:Dare I ask what it tastes and smells like?
Otis
Smells like bananas and cereal. Wonderful.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Bushman wrote:Have you thought about tomato paste for nutrients?
Never again. I hate the stuff. The wheat really helped and gives it a great taste. The rice Chex cereal is giving it some too and I added some yeast nutrient. The smell of that rice Chex makes me want to do a barrel of it by itself. I tried this several ways and found the puree instead of chopped bananas works much better. I'm gonna iron this out by early summer. I often use what I have on hand, and by experimenting I have found a little wheat and nanna blend well together. Will up my wheat next time.

butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Kitchen Sink Shine. KSS
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Did you purée the bananas WITH the skins or peeled?

Geoff
The Baker
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

The Baker wrote:Did you purée the bananas WITH the skins or peeled?

Geoff
Peeled, I pureed them in the blender with a little water. I tried chopping them up and putting them in the barrel, but the pureed version was much more active. I got another batch with a little more wheat almost done. I covered this batch to see if there is a different taste. Next round I'm gonna use a wine yeast, all the previous batches were distillers or Bread yeast.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

OtisT wrote:Dare I ask what it tastes and smells like?
Otis
The last couple days it gets a little funky, but nothing unbearable. The first few days it does indeed smell wonderful.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I cut the last batch of low wines to 80 proof as per the norm to make my spirit run. This round I double distilled my low wines with banana puree in the thumper on the second run., I cut it to 60 proof and put even more banana puree in the thumper for the 3rd run. Bout to find out if it made a difference.

I used 100lbs of sugar and a gallon of pureed bananas in the barrel, 4 gallons of pureed bananas in the thumper twice, yeast nutrients, a double handful of ground wheat, distillers yeast and a shitload of propane.

OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I'm optimistically interested to see how much of the banana comes through in this triple distilled spirit, both initially and after airing. :-)

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

OtisT wrote:I'm optimistically interested to see how much of the banana comes through in this triple distilled spirit, both initially and after airing. :-)

Otis
+1
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

OtisT wrote:I'm optimistically interested to see how much of the banana comes through in this triple distilled spirit, both initially and after airing. :-)

Otis
It's early, but the flavor still seems light. My taste testers seem to like it, but I'm not satisfied. It has a nanna taste but it's not as strong as I would like. I just can't seem to pull it through like other fruits. As a wine it would be great. I believe if I had a port on my thumper I could add the puree to the hearts and it would wotk, but alas i don't have the port. The first run i did a couple months back with banana mash and bananas in the thumper ran once with hard cuts was the best flavor. Triple distilled is cleaner but with a sugar wash less flavor.

I've tried mashing them, running just the mash, then mash with bananas in the thumper, sugar wash with bananas in the thumper, one round had banana extract and bananas in the thumper. It's light every time. I hate to say it, but I'm fixing to try adding some type of liquer quick or snowball syrup to boost the flavor a tad. Maybe it's me, don't know but I can't put a strong banana flavor in it. The best flavor each time is the first quart of heads which leads me to believe a fill port on the thumper would be the best bet. Anybody ever used the snowball syrup? Banana extract boosts the banana smell but doesn't work on the flavor end. The only thing I haven't tried is soaking bananas in the finished product. It's by far the hardest fruit I've worked. Blueberry is the easiest.

Now I'm sitting on 7 gallons of lightly flavored triple distilled banana liquer. Some snowball syrup can be found with no dye in a clear version. Hoping a spoonful will fix my issue not sure though. Gonna go get it monday https://www.snowballsupply.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Some say with age it will pull through but I have doubts, Just not satisfied no matter what I do and looks like banana has kicked my ass.

Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have never heard of snowball syrup, is there a banana flavoured one? What would be the difference between banana colina and banana cheesecake, there the only things I am finding on your link?....
Is that link for flavours that can be used with vodka or neutral.... :think:
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Copperhead road wrote:I have never heard of snowball syrup, is there a banana flavoured one? What would be the difference between banana colina and banana cheesecake, there the only things I am finding on your link?....
Don't know but an old timer told me that he uses snowball syrup with glycerin. Yes the link has banana plain.its in the cane syrup section. The clear syrups containing no dye catch my attention also.

Seems most liquer syrups contain glycerin but most snowball syrups I've looked at are just Commercial extract, sugar, dye and water. I can not find much of anything banana round here but snowball syrup. Hell Koolaid makes every flavor under the sun but freakin banana! Most syrups can be made with sugar koolaid 5 ml glycerin and water. McCormick banana extract is not near as powerful as the commercial extract contained in things like snowball syrup and liquer mixes. I don't like ordering much stuff online.

I'm almost positive most banana shine I've tasted round here is made with the liquer quick flavoring agent. It' makes a strong banana taste. Using McCormick extract it takes almost a whole bottle to a quart and I didn't like that stuff at all.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Copperhead road wrote:I have never heard of snowball syrup, is there a banana flavoured one? What would be the difference between banana colina and banana cheesecake, there the only things I am finding on your link?....
You have never eaten a snowball? It's simply shaved ice and syrup. Alcohol snowballs are popular in New Orleans.

Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let me know how you go with banana syrup experiments, following with interest :thumbup:
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hilltop wrote:
You have never eaten a snowball? It's simply shaved ice and syrup. Alcohol snowballs are popular in New Orleans.
Arr ok gotcha there called slurppys in Australia and alcohol version is called daiquiri
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hilltop I noticed this mob does a natural banana

http://www.lorannoils.com/additional-natural-flavors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
freefall
Swill Maker

Post by freefall »

Did you try do ing your cuts and just doing a hearts run with the thumper charged with Bananas?
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

freefall wrote:Did you try do ing your cuts and just doing a hearts run with the thumper charged with Bananas?
No didn't try that but if one had a fill port on the thumper and did as you said and just used the hearts i believe it would equal success. Banana seems to be the lightest carryover through distillation in my opinion. So far, my first run which was a single run with banana mash and banana pulp in the thumper was the best flavor. I considered it low wines to run again, so I didn't make cuts other than the foreshots. Each run the 1st jar of heads has most of the banana flavor. Once I got to the triple distillation I noticed it makes loads of stinging biting heads. I culled out 1 and 1/2 gallons heads and probably should have made that two. Kept 5 gallons and sent 1 gallon to the tails jar and shut her down at 18 proof.

If one was to mix the first jar back in it would have lots more banana flavor but who likes headaches? certainly not me. It's aired all night and smoothed somewhat, but as on par with the last three trys it hasn't increased in flavor. Doubt it will either.

I made a run of sour mash last summer where I put the banana pulp in the thumper and compared to the sugar wash with banana in the thumper it had way more body. I like whisky, so with a sugar wash it seemed light to me. I'm done, rack up a win for the banana tree. Syrup it is, trying to procure it now.

On that subject the syrup made for liquer is expensive. Has anyone used snowball syrup or other products? Is a clear one available? I can't find concentrated commercial banana syrup round here and I don't think the snowball syrup contains glycerin. Who's the flavor master round here? Please stand up,

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Copperhead road wrote:Hilltop I noticed this mob does a natural banana

http://www.lorannoils.com/additional-natural-flavors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks, I think that's closer to what I'm looking for I like the sound of the triple strength product on the next page better http://www.lorannoils.com/1-ounce-large ... 250-larger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

It says it's water soluble and mentions beer brewing here.

CAN YOUR FLAVORS BE USED IN BEER BREWING?
Yes. The super strength flavors that are water soluble will work best to flavor beer. In general, a .1 - .3% use level is appropriate for most beers. Some of the heavier beers require more flavor (stouts, porters, etc.) vs. the lighter wheat beers which pair well with fruit flavors.

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

This maybe the best bet for a lazy guy

https://shop.torani.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Well today I pulled out a gallon of the banana single run with thumper and am pleasantly suprised. It has a bit of nanna flavor that worked through and turned out to be some of the smoothest I've tasted this year.

Banana is like most fruit in that the flavor does not carry through distilation, but banana is far less weaker than say peaches. I tried boosting it with the Loran Hard Candy extract with horrible tasting results.

But cut to 75 proof and aged bout 6 weeks and walla! Some banana comes back. I have found this makes an interesting Apple pie and a few other flavors using banana instead of neutral. The triple distilled is almost tasteless but is super smooth. The double has a hint of banana but less than one run with the thumper attached filled with banana pulp.

It's an intriguing drink straight and way smoother than any of my grain based washes. All that sugar added sure takes it straight to my head.

6 weeks ago I chalked up a win for the banana but it looks like in the 9th inning I pulled out a win. Unlike grain this stuff must truly age some. I see lots of blackberries now turning black so free fruit will soon lend way to BlackBerry experimentation. Just wondering how long it would take to pick a half a barrel of blackberries makes me pour another shot of banana. Lol!

Shine on my friends, good things sometimes take time.

zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Hilltop wrote: I can get the bananas that are getting too ripe from my local grocery store on Tuesdays for a dollar per bag which contains about 3 bunches of bananas.
You know if you hit their dumpster up Tuesday night it will be full of all the bananas you want? A truckload for free...
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

zapata wrote:
Hilltop wrote: I can get the bananas that are getting too ripe from my local grocery store on Tuesdays for a dollar per bag which contains about 3 bunches of bananas.
You know if you hit their dumpster up Tuesday night it will be full of all the bananas you want? A truckload for free...
Not I, said the Wolf. How would I explain that to the cops? I would be the talk of the town. I can hear it now, Ol Hilltop must be in a bind boys, the cops caught him dumpster diving for food. He waa so desperate he was pulling out rotten bananas! Lol!!

Yeah, think I'll just buy em, as they pretty cheap. Be awhile before I need any, as I'm sitting on 2 and half gallons of 100 proof banana now. I want to do a barrel of mixed fruit. Im thinking Watermelon since I got a bunch growing, Pineapple, Peach, Blackberry and Banana with some Watermelon and Peach Juice

zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I hear ya. And it entirely depends on where you live. But I've had several conversations with cops at dumpsters, though they rarely care, it's more of if they happen to be back there they stop just to see what's going on. Small town? Yeah, they'll know you. They'll also know if you've got hogs or chickens, which many people actually do feed with dumpstered food and is an excuse any cop would understand. Regardless, cops have always been fine with me. They probably just want to make sure you arent breaking into the store, or smoking crack in the dumpster, or stealing the generators or whatever.

But pure pride? Not enough for me. I've actually been dumpstering just to feed the chicks, fermenters and the compost pile. Had a station wagon FULL of fruit and veggie boxes. Told em I was gonna eat salad for the next year. Whatever. Cops attitude was hell yeah, that looks like at least $1000 worth of free groceries, just dont leave a mess. Guess he didnt think through how my "salads" would spoil before anybody could eat that much!

Btw, I did a big batch of mixed fruit a few years ago, guess where I got the "mixed fruit"? Lol, bout time for another I think. Mixed fruit is pretty tough to cut to say the least! Different notes weaving in and out all over the place.

Now I will also eat plenty of dumpster food too, not above that either. But I understand people being squeamish about that if they haven't actually seen a good produce dumpster. But by the time the fruit is sorted, washed, frozen, thawed, fermented and distilled, ain't nothing wrong with the booze.
Cheers.