100% fresh corn off the cob question

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackSailJ
Novice

100% fresh corn off the cob question

Post by BlackSailJ »

The very tasty (New) Jersey Sweet White Corn will be available in the near future and was thinking on how to approach a 100% corn wash using cobs bought at the local roadside stand.

For for meal I use a PPG (points per gallon) of 37, but that is for a dry weight. I plan on doing a 10 gallon wash of around 1.070 sg Original Gravity using SebStar HTL & SebStar GL liquid enzymes for any starch conversation. For the corn I was planning on husking corn, and boiling in a large pot of water to gelatinize the corn/starches, then cut all the corn off the cob, and blended in a blender to make it more accessible.

I am wondering about how many pounds of corn , or ears of corn, do you think I'll need to come close to my target? I would like to make sure that I buy enough corn when given the opportunity.

Thanks for any advise
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 100% fresh corn off the cob question

Post by pfshine »

I would cut it off the cob and pulverize it before boiling. It will save you time and energy. I would think 3-3.5# per gallon would be sufficient to take the water in to account. I haven't done wet corn but that is how I would do it.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
BlackSailJ
Novice

Re: 100% fresh corn off the cob question

Post by BlackSailJ »

Awesome thanks. I'll buy enough for 4# per gallon to adjust if needed and any left over corn will go out on the grill.