Malted barley & corn flake whiskey

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lawfish
Bootlegger

Malted barley & corn flake whiskey

Post by Lawfish »

This recipe owes its beginnings to Odin's cornflake whiskey. For 10 gallons of mash, I use 6 lbs. of American 2-row malted barley and 2 boxes of generic cornflakes. I mix the ingredients together as if doing a traditional beer mash and mash for 45 minutes at 150 degrees F. Sparging is tricky, but I use a bucket with 3/32" holes drilled through the bottom and run a 3/8" drill with a paint paddle into the mash to extract what won't go through a traditional lauter tun (some folks would use the mop bucket strainer/paint strainer method, which would work just as well). That makes about 5 gallons of a very sweet wort. From there, add 14 pounds of sugar and boil for one hour, chill it down to around 110, pour into 2 5-gallon buckets and spray cold water into each bucket to fill the remaining space and aerate the wort. Once that's done, pitch a pack of Fleischman's baker's yeast and it will ferment out in about 7 days.

This is then stripped in 2 runs (my still is 35 quarts) and then run with 1/2 gallon of backset from 1 of the stripping runs for a very tasty spirit. It's excellent white (I made 3 jars at 100 proof and they disappeared quickly). The white really has a sweet corny/barley like taste to it. It actually tastes a bit like aged whiskey. The remainder is proofed to 120 and put into quart jars with a handful of Jack Daniels barrel chips for aging. After aging, this stuff is an excellent brown whiskey.
Lawfish

Homebrewer turned distiller
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Re: Malted barley & corn flake whiskey

Post by Lawfish »

Shoot! Wrong title. Corn flake, not corn meal. :crazy:
Lawfish

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Done. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I've thought before of doing an easy "bourbon" by mixing the stripping runs from two cornflake batches and one malted barley /wheat /rye to see what I'd end up with.
Glad you got a winner for you!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

You just can't beat good ol' 2-row. Workhorse and flavorful, and this should come out tasting pretty grand with the cornflakes.
Lawfish
Bootlegger

Post by Lawfish »

Thanks for the edit, Shineon!
Lawfish