SCD's Crow Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SCD's Crow Bourbon

Post by Deplorable »

Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:56 am Question on this one: Any difference whether I use flaked corn as opposed to corn meal?
That likely only depends on your conversion.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:09 am
Rrmuf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:56 am Question on this one: Any difference whether I use flaked corn as opposed to corn meal?
That likely only depends on your conversion.
OK. Now I feel like a newbie. :D What do you mean by depends on conversion? I understabd that as it relates to comparing to cracked corn, but not asofar as comparing flaked vs corn meal?
-- Rrmuf
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The smaller the grind, the better conversion you will get and the faster it will gel.
Flaked will gell faster that cracked but still requires more time at high temperature than meal has been my understanding.
If you want to maximize conversion, use meal, if you want to save a few cents per bottle of product, use flaked and let it cook longer before you let the temp fall and add your malts.
I used corn meal, because well, I'm more lazy than broke, and meal seemed the easiest to work with.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 am The smaller the grind, the better conversion you will get and the faster it will gel.
Flaked will gell faster that cracked but still requires more time at high temperature than meal has been my understanding.
If you want to maximize conversion, use meal, if you want to save a few cents per bottle of product, use flaked and let it cook longer before you let the temp fall and add your malts.
I used corn meal, because well, I'm more lazy than broke, and meal seemed the easiest to work with.
Ok. Got it! Thanks!
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:27 pm
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:47 am What tempature, and how long did you cook the corn for?
Pretty much followed your 5 gallon recipe above! Poured 212F water in my 10 gal mash tun w/ the corn (flaked maize to be specific) & oats. Then the malted grains when it got to 150F.

It's bubbling away happily after adding DAP & DADY. So it'll just be a lower ABV mash when done.

Do you strip & spirit? And would this recipe be a good candidate for the 1.5 technique to enhance the flavor profile??? :D
I am also interested in this question. :-)
-- Rrmuf
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I always strip and spirit, but of course any good flavor recipe would benefit from a 1.5 run. If you like it.

I specifically don't give run instructions in any of my recipes becuase it is such a personal choice, with so many options. The recipe is there for variety and enjoyment, but beyond that, that is what the rest of the forum is for. Everyone's gotta find their own preference on how to run their still.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

I think I stripped a little to hard/fast and without experience I ended up with corn oil floating on the top of my low wines. With some help in another thread (Thank you, StillerBoy), I ran the low wines through some cotton material shat was similar in texture to a wool felt. That caught the oil and the low wines looked a lot better. I also cleaned the pot still because the oil was noticeable and didn't smell good. In running some water to steam clean the still, I found a leak. Not good. So I fixed the leak and then had to really clean the still after soldering. Went through the cleaning protocols which actually worked out because it gave me more practice running the leibig properly and I finally got to run the spirit run this weekend.

I'm new so probably not the best judge of a formula. That said, in my short distilling career this is obviously the best stuff I have distilled. Not even close. I took a conservative cut and will be keeping some hearts white and aging the rest in glass with a few pieces of barrel stave that I toasted. Will char a few sides before they go in. This is probably just a lack of experience thing, but the transitions from heads to hearts to tails was the clearest it has been for me so far. Could be the recipe, could be the lack of huffing and my learning curve.

White has a nice flavor with a spicy/peppery finish from the rye. I am looking forward to tasting white/oaked side by side in 6 months after some more than just airing out aging. Might be a fun thing to do for the 4th of July.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cotton material shat...

Geoff
The Baker
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

FLOB wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:29 am I think I stripped a little to hard/fast and without experience I ended up with corn oil floating on the top of my low wines.
Hard and fast is how you're supposed to conduct stripping runs. Tails and oils are produced at all kinds of temperatures (and ABV's) as mentioned in another thread here. I typically fill up my vessel holding low wines almost to the top. The oils/floaties migrate to the top and are easy to wick off with a paper towel or clean cloth.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Why remove oils in the low wines? Heck, every strip run, I purposely throw a tablespoon of lard in the keg to get oils in there. Helps with surface tension and reduces puke effect.
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Maybe I screwed up. This looked like a scorched brown oil slick. Reminded me of fryer oil that got too hot. It had also left a nasty smelling oil in my pot still head and leibig. I ran through this fabric that seemed to catch most of it.
20201214_133007_20201214134140272.jpg
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Looks like it could be a bit ‘o puke?
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Twisted Brick wrote:Looks like it could be a bit ‘o puke?
Could be. I'm still pretty green. This weekend's spirit run was the best I've driven the still.

There was some in all 3 strips but it seemed the worst in the third which had the least amount in the boiler, probably a little under 10 gallons. I stripped right into a carboy and didnt notice anything until I saw a thread about corn oil droplets in a spirit. I went and looked at the low wines and saw a slick on top of each one. Thats when I noticed the all the copper in the pot had some greasy yuck on it too. It did not smell good.

Wood is still floating but the liquor has already taken on some color.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Toasting up 4 lbs of oats as I type this! House smells good already...

Plan is to make 3x5 gal batches of this with some Angel Yeast (no boil/no mash stuff!). Strip 2 of them and then add to 3rd bucket for a 1.5 spirit run.

I'll report back when done...

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

@SCD Next time, warn a guy would ya? I finally got around to squeezin my 25 gallons of CROW. Holy f'ing hell man, Quaker oats are a damn gluey mess. Hard as hell to squeeze. Took all damn day to get all the goodness back from that grain. Ive got 23 gallons clearing for stripping runs.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:47 pm Holy f'ing hell man, Quaker oats are a damn gluey mess.
Good to know, Deplorable. If I ever make this (or anything else with oats) I consider myself forewarned. Maybe even consider step-mashing and fermenting the oats by themselves and wrestle squeezing them separately from the corn.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:18 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:47 pm Holy f'ing hell man, Quaker oats are a damn gluey mess.
Good to know, Deplorable. If I ever make this (or anything else with oats) I consider myself forewarned. Maybe even consider step-mashing and fermenting the oats by themselves and wrestle squeezing them separately from the corn.
Hey, there's a thought!
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Yeah, one of the reasons I use rolled oats from tractor supply.

I used quaker once, don't particularly remember problems squeezing, it's such a small amount of oats. Maybe less noticeable on larger scales. Try some rice hulls in the future. Will help squeezing if ya need it.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

If you really feel the need to use them steam rolled oats like Quaker use an equal amount of grist oat berries. Squeezing juice outa porridge is about as much fun as ya third green apple and not a shit can in sight. You can do a full step mash paying diligence to ya glutanase rest but if ya don't have glucoamalase ya still gonna have more fun than the first settlers
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Hi, I am going to try this as my FIRST AG attempt, but any advice as to how the mashing might go in a Brewzilla ? I inherited one and my only concerns about using it is related to the gooey corn gumming up the works. Any advice here?
-- Rrmuf
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:32 am Yeah, one of the reasons I use rolled oats from tractor supply.

I used quaker once, don't particularly remember problems squeezing, it's such a small amount of oats. Maybe less noticeable on larger scales. Try some rice hulls in the future. Will help squeezing if ya need it.
Yeah, I could definitely see the benefit of the extra hulls from the rolled oats, but felt that buying a 50# bag for this wasn't warranted. Lesson learned for sure. It was like trying to squeeze water out of a pot of oatmeal. The Quaker oats seamed to be completely dissolved into just a paste gluing the ground grains together.
Bee
Swill Maker

Post by Bee »

ShineonCrazyDiamond, any idea what the ph of your water is?
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Rrmuf wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 am Hi, I am going to try this as my FIRST AG attempt, but any advice as to how the mashing might go in a Brewzilla ? I inherited one and my only concerns about using it is related to the gooey corn gumming up the works. Any advice here?
I would NOT recommend using the built in pump if your unit has one.

Also I have a Gas One SS pot that came with a false bottom. A fine mesh BIAB sitting on top of that works fairly well for straining! :thumbup:

Have 1 fermenter going with normal malting/enzymed method going alongside another using that Angel Yeast. I will report back on which ferments out first.

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

rubberduck71 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:49 am

I would NOT recommend using the built in pump if your unit has one.

Also I have a Gas One SS pot that came with a false bottom. A fine mesh BIAB sitting on top of that works fairly well for straining! :thumbup:

Have 1 fermenter going with normal malting/enzymed method going alongside another using that Angel Yeast. I will report back on which ferments out first.

Duck
It does. So thanks for that: I won't!
-- Rrmuf
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Rrmuf wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:27 am Hi, I am going to try this as my FIRST AG attempt, but any advice as to how the mashing might go in a Brewzilla ? I inherited one and my only concerns about using it is related to the gooey corn gumming up the works. Any advice here?
I recommend honey bear for your first. Without oats. Give you an idea with normal grains like beer, but with the experience of dealing with just corn first.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Thanks for the advice!
-- Rrmuf
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:32 am I used quaker once, don't particularly remember problems squeezing, it's such a small amount of oats.
I used Quarker large oat flake for my 4 batches, and never experience any issues mashing or squeezing this recipe.. no different than doing the HBB one..

Those who are having issues are not following the recipe I would say..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

StillerBoy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:39 pm
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:32 am I used quaker once, don't particularly remember problems squeezing, it's such a small amount of oats.
I used Quarker large oat flake for my 4 batches, and never experience any issues mashing or squeezing this recipe.. no different than doing the HBB one..

Those who are having issues are not following the recipe I would say..

Mars
Well, we all know what happens when you "assume"...
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

OK. I went this way and fermented on the grain. Done it seems (SG 1.000 and unchanged in last day). I am leaving alot of liquid locked into the corn sludge. Is that normal? Almost 30% of the volume that went into the fermenter.
Corn Sludge.jpg
-- Rrmuf
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Yes it's normal. You can get almost 100% liquid back when you squeeze. Go get a 1 or 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Hd/ lowes. Fill it half way with sludge, then squeeze and twist. This is how we all started off. You will eventually get a mop wringer, or wish you had. Down the line there are other options, but for now, go get your $.80 bag, and research strainers.