SCD's Crow Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

SCD's Crow Bourbon

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Crow Bourbon (Corn, Rye, Oat, Wheat)

Over the years I have stepped up my fermenters to 55 gallon barrels (perfect for 40 gallon all grain mashes, which gives you (3) 15.5 keg charges with headroom). I was asked to share this recipe which I have done for the past 2 years, and brought to a couple gatherings. I will post both my full batch recipe, and a scaled down 5 gallon recipe.

When followed, this recipe has a great blend of the smoothness of wheat and the spiciness of the rye. The toasted oats, however, is what gives this bourbon a finishing flavor that to me is like drinking toasted marshmallows. I love my other bourbons like Honey Bear and my Chocolate Sundae, but this is my go to traditional bourbon, with the SCD flair :lol:. I hope you enjoy.

40 gallon Batch
50 lb Corn Meal
9 lbs Red Wheat Malt
9 lbs White Wheat Malt
9 lbs Rye Malt
3 lbs Toasted Oats*

* I have made this with several types of oats, but my best results were from rolled oats, that are the oat grain that is cracked from the feed store. You will get the same flavor profile if you just use Quaker Oats Oatmeal as well. I have done both. Toast the same regardless.

To toast the oats, spread the oats on a cookie sheet, and place in the oven at 300 degrees. Depending on the amount you toast, how thick you spread them, and your oven, times can vary. I think for 3 lbs, split between two sheets, I toasted for 1.5 hours (maybe a half hour if only doing 1/2 pound). Stir every 15 minutes. The important thing in the end is the color. You want them all to be golden brown and toasted. If you are a cook, you will know they are done by the smell of the kitchen. It is wonderful. This is one process that your SOH won’t mind. *

The process is the same as all my bourbons, and I follow my Large Batch Mashing process for this. You can also use enzymes, just adjust your process. I put the corn and toasted oats in the fermenter, and fill it up with 40 gallons of boiling water (the furious boil, not cute boil). Then I wrap it up with blankets, and let it naturally cool to 150 (overnight if needed). Then I add my Red, White, and Rye malts at 150, and let it sit for at least an hour or two, stirring a couple times. Should hit that SG of 1.06 or so. Then cool, and pitch a ¼ cup or whatever of bakers yeast.

5 Gallon Batch
7 lbs Corn meal
1 lb Red Wheat Malt
1 lb White Wheat Malt
1 lb Rye Malt
1/2 lb Toasted Oats

Put the corn and toasted oats into a 6 gallon bucket. Fill bucket up with boiling water. Wrap in blankets, stirring as frequent as you like. Mine takes about 3 or 4 hours this way to naturally hit mashing temp, so I stir 2 or 3 times during this time. When the mix hits 150, add your two wheat malts and Rye malt. Wrap up again, for a couple hours. When done, chill and pitch yeast.

This is definitely a great bourbon to age on new oak for 6 months to a year. The full flavor profile comes together in that time.

Enjoy!
-SCD
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: SCD's Crow Bourbon

Post by StillerBoy »

Thanks SCD for the recipe.. rolled oats are toasting as I write this for a mash tomorrow.. and you're right, the house does smell nice..

Had worked out an appropriate grain bill for this, and researched how to toast oats.. now I'm good to good..

Thanks again
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

awesome
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Looks great SCD. I've yet to make a Bourbon, but it's on my short list... soon as I can free up one of my 55 gal fermenters from their respective Infected Rum and UJSM tasks. I was thinking of conjuring up some Bourbon variant from the Alt Whiskeys book by Corsair, but the toasted oatmeal sounds too lovely to pass on. Thanks for sharing and solving my recipe deficit! 8)

DetroitDIY
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

StillerBoy wrote:Thanks SCD for the recipe.. rolled oats are toasting as I write this for a mash tomorrow.. and you're right, the house does smell nice..

Had worked out an appropriate grain bill for this, and researched how to toast oats.. now I'm good to good..

Thanks again
Mars
Yeah man. Sorry it took so long. Started a new job a month ago, and the wife is on me to finish the bathroom remodeling. :shifty:

It's up though. Enjoy!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Started a new job a month ago, and the wife is on me to finish the bathroom remodeling.
Two things that take time away from our enjoyable moments.. but also necessary to our well being.. lol

Thanks for putting it up..
Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

DetroitDIY wrote: I was thinking of conjuring up some Bourbon variant from the Alt Whiskeys book by Corsair
I've done a few of Darek Bell's alter whiskeys, and SCD's Honey Bear and especially his Sundac (a favourite right now, on par with DB's Mocha Porter) are in the same category in my view.. This new one of SCD's should be very good, as he's becoming a master of new alternate whiskey..

These bourbons are much better than the regular ones for me anyways, much more flavourful.. and thanks for helping push the envelop SCD..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Definitely a keeper.

When I first tasted this, I was like, "Damn where did that campfire marshmallow flavor come from?". The toasted oats are perfect compliment to the rye and wheat grains and the corn adds its little sweetness. Aged on toasted and charred oak, this is an awesome whiskey. I have the option to get it right from the spout when it's being distilled and it's even pretty great white.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

First half pound of toasted oats done, ready for tomorrow's mashing..

Mars
Attachments
roasted at 300*F for 1 hr.
roasted at 300*F for 1 hr.

– Albert Einstein
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I'd roast them some more, personally.

I go somewhere between the medium and dark in this picture.
Screenshot_20181010-220002_Chrome.jpg
They will all have different profiles, but that's where I usually land.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I got it,, I'm on your light side, will roast them some more..

Thanks for the help..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

Will try this one and your large mash method with thick mash plus enzymes and ice. I'd been trying to picture how I'd mash a whole barrel of stuff with just my 15 gallons of water. I'm planning to build a steam wand to go in the barrel, but if that works it seems easier.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Gad dern it I use to do one nearly like this but rice not rye, why I never thought of that acronym I don't know :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

thecroweater wrote:Gad dern it I use to do one nearly like this but rice not rye, why I never thought of that acronym I don't know :lol:
Would that make you thecrowdrinker?

This is another SCD recipe I’ll have to try. The toasted oats sound like a nice touch. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Well.. worked at roasting oats again today.. used large oats flakes instead of the regular oatmeal one..
Roasted the oats at 325*F for 3 hrs with a stir every 15 min., until I got a medium brown colour.. 3 hrs is somewhat on the long side, so the next batch will be at 350*F, and see what I get..

They certainly have a nutty taste to them any ways, more so than the first batch..

Question SCD.. Do you also use the broiler when roasting, in order to roast the oats in 1 hr..

Mars
Attachments
roasted at 325*F for 3 hrs.
roasted at 325*F for 3 hrs.

– Albert Einstein
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Those look perfect!

Truth is, sometimes I go to between 300-375, depending on how long I want to wait, and attend to it. I have also supplemented with the broiler. There is no wong temp and time, you just have to get to the color. I put the lower end in the recipe becuase not everyone is a cook, and it's best to quote a light toast and add time, then for someone to burn then based on my time and temps.

Ive done a Batch in 45 minutes. But I didn't do anything else during that time, lol. I stirred alot.

Anyways, good job!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:There is no wong temp and time, you just have to get to the color. I put the lower end in the recipe becuase not everyone is a cook, and it's best to quote a light toast and add time, then for someone to burn then based on my time and temps.
Thanks for responding and the additional info, and I hear you on the toasting/roasting time.. I'm ok around an oven, so on the next batch, I will try one at the higher temp range, and one using the broiler, just to see the difference in time and taste..

I will mill the batch done for 3 hrs, cause oats are quite hard, very crunchy, and I don't think they will soften up enough during mashing ..

Thanks SCD

Mars

– Albert Einstein
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Looks like thanks are in order again, ShineonCrazyDiamond.
For working out these recipes, and for inspiration.
I was wondering how you were going to wow us with another one... and we get toasted oats!
Toutes nos félicitations!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

wow this sounds great - going to try it once I free up some fermenter space

OVZ
BourbonBoi
Novice

Post by BourbonBoi »

This looks amazing!
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Just curious, why do you call it Crow Bourbon?

BG
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Did you read the op? :lol:

Corn, Rye, Oats, Wheat.
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

SCD, this looks like another great recipe. How would you compare this to your HBB. Aside from roasting it seems like another manageable one, your thoughts. I'm puzzled why this has only one page of comments. Anyway, I'm doing some wine at the moment, the HBB grains are on order and I can't wait to start that one. I hope all is well my friend...
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

From a taste standpoint, honestly it's probably my most traditional tasting Bourbons. That's probably becuase of the rye, and lack of specialty malts. I really like this one. I was almost about to fill a 5 gallon barrel of it this year, but at the last minute changed it to sundae bourbon, becuase it's my father in law's favorite. I will probably have the second fill be this recipe. It is a very well balanced spirit, and would be better on a second barrel than a fresh one.

From a process standpoint, all my bourbons require the same amount of effort becuase of the protocols I've committed to. If you look at my recipes, the malt percentages are similar. I established a rough 60% corn, 30% malt, and 10% adjunct (non enzymic grains) equation early on by design. This way I could mess with any combination of grains, and not have to stress about the science behind it. I wanted to focus on the art of bourbon, and I could create a range of taste easily, like a cook imagining the combination of spices in a meal, before he ever turns on the burner. Therefore, all recipes are put corn and adjunct in fermenter, add boiling water, wait for 150, add rest of grains, chill and pitch. The rest is just whatever your imagination can think of, just plug into the equation.

I'm not worried about replies :). It's a gold recipe, and eventually more people will try it and report back. There's alot of great people on here with awesome recipes. Only so much room in the garage :). Good luck with it, and let me know how you like it. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Thanks for your reply :)
Clae
Novice

Post by Clae »

Your Honey Bear Bourbon was my first ever AG mash, and turned out amazing, so I feel this recipe will treat me just as well. Cant wait to try it.
We bake the white bread, We bake the brown bread... We bake all sorts.

15gal Keg Boiler / 42" 2.5" column / Combo CCVM Still Head / Propane Fired
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

No B.S.: Your namesake's song by Pink Floyd came on my Pandora station right as I turned on the oven to toast the oats this morning!!! :clap:

I'll take that as a sign from the whiskey gods...

Going to try your traditional recipe above & also another batch with that Angel Yeast as a side by side comparison...

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Well, this was my first AG attempt after ~5 months of goofing around with T&T sugar recipes.

Was very optimistic when the thick corn porridge turned thinly soupy after adding the malts, just like it's supposed to! However, even after messing with some enzymes, the best I could do was 1.040 SG @ 5.5 gal after sparging (1.050 @ 3.5 gal). Disappointing, but still my first attempt at AG... Looking forward to the distillation & aging!

Duck
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

What tempature, and how long did you cook the corn for?
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:47 am What tempature, and how long did you cook the corn for?
Pretty much followed your 5 gallon recipe above! Poured 212F water in my 10 gal mash tun w/ the corn (flaked maize to be specific) & oats. Then the malted grains when it got to 150F.

It's bubbling away happily after adding DAP & DADY. So it'll just be a lower ABV mash when done.

Do you strip & spirit? And would this recipe be a good candidate for the 1.5 technique to enhance the flavor profile??? :D
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I think you just learned why very few people try to sparge bourbon mashes. I'm surprised you are complaining about the gravity rather than the sparging process.