SCD's Crow Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: SCD's Crow Bourbon

Post by rubberduck71 »

zapata wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:40 pm I think you just learned why very few people try to sparge bourbon mashes. I'm surprised you are complaining about the gravity rather than the sparging process.
Ha! Excellent point zapata. :)

I can definitely see why people look for sugar washes with flavor adjuncts as an easier alternative... I knew what I was getting into after reading here & watching various sparging videos.

One of my lifelong best friends is turning 50 next year, so I was thinking of using SCD's CROW bourbon & a 2L barrel as a surprise gift. :thumbup:
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

That'll be a nice gift indeed. Speaking of sugar and adjuncts, your missing gravity is probably in the grains. If you kept the them they should make a nice sugar head.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

You never answered my question, though. How long did it take the corn to go from boiling to 150? Was it wrapped up too prevent heat loss?
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:45 am You never answered my question, though. How long did it take the corn to go from boiling to 150? Was it wrapped up too prevent heat loss?
Sorry, I guess I didn't fully explain myself. It was a couple hours in my mash tun (which is basically a 10 gallon cooler). It's insulated, so it was at least 3 hrs.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

@ SCD
I have a question regarding your technique for 40 gallons of boiling water.
Assuming you're boiling in your still boiler for your 40 gallon batches.
Are you boiling 3X13 gallon bacthes of water to dump in on top of your corn and oats?

I plan to give this a go this winter in a 25 gallon batch and expect to boil two 13 gallon charges, I'll dump in the first, and mix out the dough balls, and let it rest while the next 13 gallons of water comes to a boil, then dump that in and stir again, and again, add HT Amalyse at 190, and stir a few times, while I wait for 150 to add the wheats and rye.
This will be my first experience with corn. I assume that boiling two batches of water will actually prolong the time that the corn and oats are expsoed to the high temperature.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

That's exactly how I do it. Check out my method here

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703

Best way to cook corn large scale.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Doh! I have read that thread.
Perfect. So I'll do half the corn and oats, and half the water in two sessions, then wait for 150.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Looking forward to joining the CROW Club. Just started toasting oats for a batch of this. All ready been asked twice if I was baking oatmeal cookies.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

On my spirit run as I type this!!! Very excited... :clap:
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

I'll be a ways behind you, but i got 3 pounds of toasted oats.
20201110_201928.jpg
Edited to adjust photo
FLOB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FLOB »

Pitched the yeast a few hours ago. I can't see any activity yet but I can hear it. SG was 1.060. Smells good.
20201114_164548.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Toasting oats for this now to mash after Christmas.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

About to embark on this journey today. 25 gallon mash in a 32 gallon brute. If I timed it right, my yeast started should finish and be ready to add about the same time this hits mash temp late tomorrow night.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:13 am If I timed it right, my yeast started should finish and be ready to add about the same time this hits mash temp late tomorrow night.
I think it was 8Ball who shared that he 'jump starts' his starters with some clear off his fresh mash. If your starter seems to have run out by mash cool-down time, this might be a viable option for you.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 am
Deplorable wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:13 am If I timed it right, my yeast started should finish and be ready to add about the same time this hits mash temp late tomorrow night.
I think it was 8Ball who shared that he 'jump starts' his starters with some clear off his fresh mash. If your starter seems to have run out by mash cool-down time, this might be a viable option for you.
Thats what I did last time.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

First dough in at 1030am, 2nd dough in at 1230. Added 1 TBS of HT enzymes at 180 and wrapped it up. Stirred at the 2 hour mark and it was 178 and thin. A few minor dough balls, smaller than a quarter.
Large batch mashing with cornmeal following SCD's large batch protocol so far has been easy as hell.
I have enough corn and malts left for one more big mash, less a few pounds of Rye after this run, but SWMBO says I need to do an all feints run and make some neutral for more SPD and Peach Cobbler. So maybe while this ferments, I'll get that out of the way.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

I love when you are in the middle of something they want something I just pulled out a 3 month old wineos spirit gallon and said make yer damn flavors
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

3.5 hours after enzymes. 172.5 degrees and getting sweet.
20201226_161201.jpg
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

11.5 hours from first dough in to adding the malts. Lost 40 degrees in 11.5 hours. Should be pretty close to ideal temp for yeast tomorrow morning.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:09 pm That's exactly how I do it. Check out my method here

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703

Best way to cook corn large scale.
Thanks SCD, I'm sitting here looking at my CROW mash 24 hours after starting it following this method, and using enzymes, the temp is still 133 as I prepare to drop a wort chiller into it. The SG of a cooled 300ml sample is 1.072. Can't wait to taste the finished product after a few months on charred oak sticks.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

today's the end of day six and this mash is still bubblin' away with a thin cornmeal cap. smells good, still a little sweet but getting more sour. After the initial rise in temp from fermentation, its been a steady 67 to 68F in the insulated Brute.
Clae
Novice

Re: SCD's Crow Bourbon / Earthy Flavour?

Post by Clae »

Finished a batch of this a month or two ago, and it seems to taste spot on other than one thing; there is a very earthy taste that is quite... bitter in aftertaste. Almost like the smell of the forest after a heavy rain.

I don't know if this is just what toasted oats taste like early in aging, but i noticed a few things when i was mashing/preparing you might wanna know:

1. I *may* have been a little overzealous in the amount of oats, added a fair bit more than called for.
2. When toasting, the smell was quite bitter, almost like an acrid rubber, but the smell dissipated in the oats a few days later.
We bake the white bread, We bake the brown bread... We bake all sorts.

15gal Keg Boiler / 42" 2.5" column / Combo CCVM Still Head / Propane Fired
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Clae wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:33 pm Finished a batch of this a month or two ago, and it seems to taste spot on other than one thing; there is a very earthy taste that is quite... bitter in aftertaste. Almost like the smell of the forest after a heavy rain.

I don't know if this is just what toasted oats taste like early in aging, but i noticed a few things when i was mashing/preparing you might wanna know:

1. I *may* have been a little overzealous in the amount of oats, added a fair bit more than called for.
2. When toasting, the smell was quite bitter, almost like an acrid rubber, but the smell dissipated in the oats a few days later.
When I toasted the oats, I did them in 3 batches, because that's what spread nicely on a half sheet pan. I used Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. They smelled nice after the first batch and about halfway through the 2nd, then the smell in the house became a bit much. Not a bad smell, but not oatmeal cookies either. The smell and flavor of the finished oats was nutty with a little coffee on the nose. I wasn't likely as heavy handed on them as you, but the box contained 2 ounces more than the recipe required. I just toasted them all and put all 42 ounces in. ( I made 25 gallons, multiplying the 5 gallon mash bill by 5)
Curious if you're sipping it white, or oaked for only a few weeks?
Clae
Novice

Post by Clae »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 pm When I toasted the oats, I did them in 3 batches, because that's what spread nicely on a half sheet pan. I used Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. They smelled nice after the first batch and about halfway through the 2nd, then the smell in the house became a bit much. Not a bad smell, but not oatmeal cookies either. The smell and flavor of the finished oats was nutty with a little coffee on the nose. I wasn't likely as heavy handed on them as you, but the box contained 2 ounces more than the recipe required. I just toasted them all and put all 42 ounces in. ( I made 25 gallons, multiplying the 5 gallon mash bill by 5)

Only about 2 months or so, and the smell was definitely suspiciously like rancid fat. Now, I know the oats were fresh so I wasn't too worried at the time but the smell persisted so I did some research.

Apparently the rancid-ish smell is quite common with rolled oats, after a certain threshold of toasting (when you go past light golden). My final smell was similar to yours.

Worst case scenario, I will blend with some other, similar bourbon down the road.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Clae wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:04 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:49 pm When I toasted the oats, I did them in 3 batches, because that's what spread nicely on a half sheet pan. I used Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. They smelled nice after the first batch and about halfway through the 2nd, then the smell in the house became a bit much. Not a bad smell, but not oatmeal cookies either. The smell and flavor of the finished oats was nutty with a little coffee on the nose. I wasn't likely as heavy handed on them as you, but the box contained 2 ounces more than the recipe required. I just toasted them all and put all 42 ounces in. ( I made 25 gallons, multiplying the 5 gallon mash bill by 5)

Only about 2 months or so, and the smell was definitely suspiciously like rancid fat. Now, I know the oats were fresh so I wasn't too worried at the time but the smell persisted so I did some research.

Apparently the rancid-ish smell is quite common with rolled oats, after a certain threshold of toasting (when you go past light golden). My final smell was similar to yours.

Worst case scenario, I will blend with some other, similar bourbon down the road.
Well that's discouraging. I wish I would have taken a picture of the color, but it was what looked like a nice golden brown between the medium and the dark toast in the previous picture posted in the thread.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I wouldn't worry about any good or bad taste from an all grain that has only been allowed 1 - 2 months to get ready for judgement :lol:

I always get earthy, grain taste, but nothing that is acrid. I've toasted all levels of oats, and they give different kicks to the whiskey. I usually toast to the nutty flavor myself, but have gone lighter.

Steady course, deplorable. You'll be fine.

Clay, do me a favor and let me know in May how it is. And the oak procedure and cut notes you have.
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

This sounds promising!!! Thanks for sharing!
-- Rrmuf
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 am I wouldn't worry about any good or bad taste from an all grain that has only been allowed 1 - 2 months to get ready for judgement :lol:

I always get earthy, grain taste, but nothing that is acrid. I've toasted all levels of oats, and they give different kicks to the whiskey. I usually toast to the nutty flavor myself, but have gone lighter.

Clay, do me a favor and let me know in May how it is. And the oak procedure and cut notes you have.
Im in no hurry to pass judgement. It's still in the fermenter. I'm hoping for time to run it next weekend. Ive got a few half gallon mason jars its destin for, and plan to oak it with .5X.5X6 inch charred new white oak at around 60 to 64% until fall, (1 stick per quart). If I like what it becomes, I'll fill a barrel. My Sweet feed is just starting to turn the corner, and should be a great mixer by spring. I got plenty to sip while I wait it out. ;-)
Clae
Novice

Post by Clae »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:47 am I wouldn't worry about any good or bad taste from an all grain that has only been allowed 1 - 2 months to get ready for judgement :lol:

Oops, I hope I didn't come off as writing it off as a failure or something. Even 2 months after distilling and the earthy taste has been going down considerably. I was just trying to bring up a possible thing for other people if they too experience it.

I cooked my oats to roughly what you describe, between light and dark (golden) colors. You say you've tried a lot of toast levels, what did the darkest taste like in comparison?

It's good to hear earthiness is common, that's what the flavour seems to be evolving towards.

Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Post by Rrmuf »

Question on this one: Any difference whether I use flaked corn as opposed to corn meal?
-- Rrmuf