Kitchen sink whisky

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Kitchen sink whisky

Post by distiller_dresden »

This came about as having the makings for two 5 gallon batches of Honey Bear, and then deciding on using the flaked maize for both instead to make cornshine (75% flaked maize, 25% malted corn).

So the recipe is as follows:
1lb Honey malt
2 lb white wheat malt
2 lb red wheat malt
2 lb pale malt (Belgian)
2 lb pilsner malt (Belgian)
1lb melanoidin malt
2 lb 2-row (American)
5.5 gal water (ferment on grains)
15g Fermentis M1 yeast @ 65F
6g Fermaid K

I will let everyone know how it turns out, hoping for a complex scotch (not single malt, obviously), or maybe like an Irish whisky

Anybody have an inkling how this would turn out, or suggestions based on your own use of these?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Kitchen sink whisky

Post by fizzix »

I'm predicting ---predicting, mind you-- a sweet biscuit honey flavor with
that melanoidin complementing the honey wheat. Sounds good to me.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Re: Kitchen sink whisky

Post by distiller_dresden »

fizzix wrote:I'm predicting ---predicting, mind you-- a sweet biscuit honey flavor with
that melanoidin complementing the honey wheat. Sounds good to me.
MMmmmmm! That was about what I had in mind - malty from melanoidin, honey from honey, creamy almost vanilla from the wheat, a touch of bitterness from the pilsner, and malty again from the pale and 2-row. I am excited to mash this in and let it get going.

While I'll be concurrently running rum washes for the next few months - trying to fill a used once whisky barrel 5gal - I'll also be doing this, 2 batches of straight traditional scotch with golden promise and the M1, and my 75/25 corn shine (which I'm also going to add some cans of sweet corn to, not for mashing, but for flavor, then soaking the fresh wash reserved for thump in a box of cornflakes and filtering). Gonna be an exciting winter!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."