Black Currant Brandy

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Flatlands_Hillbilly
Novice

Black Currant Brandy

Post by Flatlands_Hillbilly »

I was experimenting and hit gold.I kept it very simple and basic thinking I can improve it as I go. It actually was m wives suggestion and now I'm under strict instructions not to change a thing. I will say, it's warm, sweet and deep flavor.
This makes a 10 gal run.

5 lbs dried black currants
1 lbs sugar
10 gal purified water
3 tbls Fleishman's active dry yeast
1 pint 50% ABV sugar wash liquor
1 pint dried black currants

Combine 6 gallons of purified water, 5 lbs of black currants and bring to a boil. Turn of heat, stir in sugar and let cool down to 150 degrees. I use two 5 gallon containers for my fermenters, so I split the wash by straining equal amounts into each. I fill both with the remaining water. The water being room temperature, cools the wash down to from 90 degrees to 110 degrees. Instead of making a starter, I add the yeast directly and have found I have better results. Cap it off and give it a little over a week to two weeks to ferment. Depending of course on the temp, brix and so on. I run one stripping run high and fast. Then run it through low and slow, about 3 drips per second. I've done this twice and both times were consistent. I proof it down to approximately 40% ABV. Should make approximately 12 pints.
I then fill a pint jar full of dried black currants and infuse it with the 50% ABV sugar wash. I shake it two to three times a day for three days. Should be able to put 1.75 tablespoons in each jar. Comes out perfect each time. Beautiful golden color with a warm sweet and deep flavor.
“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the Bible says love your enemy.” - Frank Sinatra