Verdin

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Gray Rider
Novice

Verdin

Post by Gray Rider »

I'm looking for a recipe or even just some basic info on this green Mexican liquor. Is it sweet like anisette or sambuca or it is more of an unsweetened liquor (as in Tequila)? What proof?
I have quite a few Piper auritum (Hoja santa) plants growing which is supposedly the main ingredient in flavoring Verdin. We have used the leaves to make an excellent herbal tea. The flavor of the tea is very complex: Predominantly root beer with anise or licorice undertones with subtle hints of nutmeg and black pepper. Verdin supposedly tastes like the tea.

Disclaimer: Hoja santa contains safrole hence the root beer flavor. I am aware of the claims made by various governments of the possible carcinogenic properties of safrole. I am also aware of studies that show humans metabolize safrole differently than lab rats :https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... via%3Dihub My grandparents and parents drank sassafras tea regularly and lived to a ripe old age. Not trying to convince anyone either way, basically use your own judgement regarding safrole.