My first "bourbon" experiment

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Changnoi
Novice

Re: My first "bourbon" experiment

Post by Changnoi »

So the ferment is done, and I poured off about half the liquid before I started to run into the grain. I tried straining it through my mash tun but it wasn't going anywhere, so I decided to build a strainer out of some cheap food grade buckets I have lying around:

First I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom of one bucket
Bourbon11.JPG
Then I nested that bucket into another 6 gallon bucket. There is about 2 gallons of remaining space below. Then I put one of the filter bags in the strainer bucket
Bourbon12.JPG
Then I poured the fermented mash into the strainer bag
Bourbon13.JPG
Twisted up the top, and set another bucket on top with some water to act as a pressing weight.
Bourbon14.JPG
Some of the wash being pressed out is actually sitting on top of the strainer bag now, so I think I'll have to periodically lift and twist the bag. Still easier than squishing by hand, and cheaper than buying a mop squeezer. Found out my brother threw the mop bucket out last year hahahahahaha

I'll let it strain and settle and then get into the stripping run tomorrow.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Heh, suspended matters of my mash are settling down, too... so, thanks for the idea (cause I missed the huge mop-stuff store in a bigger city a day before yesterday).

On the other hand...
Changnoi wrote:Still easier than squishing by hand, and cheaper than buying a mop squeezer.
Depends on the personal greed :lol:

I lever-twisted the filter bag being hooked... I'd say, it will tear apart way before squeezing the yummies outta it. The sideswalls of the bag become impenetrable while the core of the bag is still full of liquid.

har druckit för mycket
Changnoi
Novice

Post by Changnoi »

It worked! Let it sit overnight and I now have about a 3gallon brick of leftover corn to feed the hogs.
Bourbon15.JPG
So now I'm off to do a stripping run.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Cool brick :wink: and keep on posting.

As per my mash... it smells like sour enuff... but still not acetic.

har druckit för mycket
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Nice method. This is similar to the old design for the 'zapap lauter tun' that Charlie Papazian advocated in his first Joys of Homebrewing book. I do something similar sometimes, using a bottling bucket on the bottom layer to direct liquid output into a carboy or bucket.

Other times, I waited too long and squeeze by hand.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

That's a cool method for small batches

OVZ
Changnoi
Novice

Post by Changnoi »

Ok I did a stripping run, started with about 7 gallons of filtered wash, racked off the sediment. Pulled about 5 ounces of foreshots for the metal shop, and then went until it was down to 20% ABV before stopping. Ended up with 1 gallon of low wines at 40%. It's got a slight blue haze but actually smells and tastes pretty decent at that proof.

I'm thinking that I'll start a 30-35 gal batch of UJSSM in one of my 60gal fermenters once I get the fruit brandies out of them. That size batch is perfect for using a full bag of corn from the feed store and 2ea 25 pound bags of cane sugar from the supermarket, and I can run that in 4 stripping runs of 8-8.5 gal each.

I'll be able to put the results of those stripping runs and this one I just finished through a spirit run while the second generation of UJSSM ferments. So far I like the result, and it was pretty easy to do with the supplies and materials I had on hand.

Now I gotta figure out a way to cold smoke some barley and run a test using the leftover malt, before getting another bag of malt to start the big batch of "scotch" I promised my buddy.

Whee!
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Changnoi wrote: Now I gotta figure out a way to cold smoke some barley and run a test using the leftover malt, before getting another bag of malt to start the big batch of "scotch" I promised my buddy.

Whee!
Be careful on what you promise - be discrete, don't tell and don't sell
OVZ
Changnoi
Novice

Post by Changnoi »

Thanks for the reminder, Oldvine Zin. This is a close friend since childhood, who loves his peaty scotches, and it's just a gift for him. He knows about don't tell, don't sell so I feel fairly safe.

Update: like I mentioned before, I have a gallon of low wines from this bourbon batch. It's a little hazy, sitting at 40%, and just for giggles last night I decided to try some. OMG. It's absolutely amazing. There's something like peanut butter and Corn Nuts in there. Nothing headsy at all, nothing tailsy at all (I stopped stripping above 20%).

I'm tempted to put some of it on oak and see what happens. Honestly I'm tempted to nuclear age half of it on oak and call it a sipper while I make other stuff. Don't tempt me!
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Just let me leave/add some pics without particular comments :)
a big mess
a big mess
pancake dough gonna be stripped
pancake dough gonna be stripped
amber yummies
amber yummies
cornmeal cake
cornmeal cake
corn bread / backside
corn bread / backside
With all my best wishes to all the home-practicing magicians :wave:

har druckit för mycket