Chicken feed mash?

Grain bills and instruction for all manner of alcoholic beverages.

Moderator: Site Moderator

paddy1000111
Novice

Chicken feed mash?

Post by paddy1000111 »

Hi everyone,

I have currently been running different washes but mainly stuck with all bran. I wondered if anyone has ever run a mash made from chicken corn. I was obviously looking at the organic, no added chemicals or medicines type that is a mix of organic wheat and organic cut maize. I was wondering about cooking it up and making a wash in a similar way to a rye wash? Anyone done or heard anything like this?

Sorry if this has been asked before, either I am useless with the search feature or no-one asks the questions I want to know the answers to!

Any input appreciated
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Chicken feed mash?

Post by fizzix »

Everything I've read about generic feed corn says it's a GO. You may see claims that the germ is stripped out and the remainder is your feed grade corn,
but that is an exception and not the rule. At $8 a bushel where I live, corn is the cheapest drink I make. Don't forget your enzymes!
paddy1000111
Novice

Post by paddy1000111 »

Thanks! Maybe I will give it a go. I will have a look through the corn mash recipes and maybe post back with results!
leejrmusic
Novice

Post by leejrmusic »

I was looking into this same thing. I actually picked some up today I'm just wondering if I should maybe rinse it or try and shake some of the powdery stuff out before I use it
Death and taxes my friend.
Samyguy
Bootlegger

Post by Samyguy »

All of my washes end up as Chicken Feed
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

I did a chicken feed wash last week.
18litres water
3kilos sugar 1kilo the chicken feed pellets
20grams angel yeast
Thing took off like crazy, looked like it was boiling.
After a week I ran it.
The ratio looked good, I kept a litre of the Hearts and put the rest in the feint box
When I added the sugar with backset back into the fermentation bucket it took off immediately
We'll see what happens with the second generation.
It's been a few days now and it's slowed down to just a few bubbles

It's OK, if you don't mind liquor that tastes like KFC
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

SGB, are you an expat in SEA or has KFC become global? I have an American friend who is an expat in SEA for 15 years. Mainly Cambodia and Laos. Lives like a king in that economy.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Tummydoc wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:37 pm SGB, are you an expat in SEA or has KFC become global? I have an American friend who is an expat in SEA for 15 years. Mainly Cambodia and Laos. Lives like a king in that economy.
Basically all The Ayam Krispy street stands have KFC written on their signs. If I had money I could live like a king... I may not be able to afford a box of beer especially during this lock down on life, but I got some good sippin whiskey coming from that ujssm
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Actually the chicken feed wasn't bad after I put some wood on it. Especially if you like BBQ chicken.
All joking aside, for a sugar wash, the chicken meal feed packed a lot of vitamins and minerals and looked like a corn meal base. The sugar wash took off quick and boiled for days. Because I use a DIY basic pot still I had to run it a few times to lessen the flavor of the feed
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I made some of the mixed grain chicken feed: a mixture of whole and broken grains of all kinds. Tried to malt it, and the whole grains did malt allright. Then brew it like beer, fermented it and ran it.
But that was a long time ago and I don't remember any special problems. Tasted like a grain, as expected. ;)
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Samyguy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am All of my washes end up as Chicken Feed
My chickens love fermented grains. :)
It also makes for the best tasting eggs and happy chickens
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

BlackStrap wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm
Samyguy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am All of my washes end up as Chicken Feed
My chickens love fermented grains. :)
It also makes for the best tasting eggs and happy chickens
They're not super-grumpy the next morning??? :lol:
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season